Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

GoPro Hero 6 - 4k 60fps Media Laggy and Glitchy

[ New ]

I just began using my Gopro Hero 6, and have been running into some problems. I recently bought this camera to upgrade to the 4k 60fps that the hero 5 did not have, and I paid the extra $100 for it. Although, whenever I try to play the media I record on my computer, the video is either in slow-motion and glitches, very choppy and laggy, or doesn't play at all. Also, the audio is completely out of sync, but is still heard.

I have tried different micro SD Cards, such as the San Disk Ultra 64GB and 32GB cards, but still the same issue. I have tried opening the footage on Windows 10, lastest update, and Mac OS X el Captain. (I prefer Windows 10) The footage tries to convert on Mac OS, but then fails and I never get to see the footage at all. However, if I lower the quality of the camera, the video plays just fine. Side Note: No issues with hero 5 

The reason I am here is to find a fix so I can record 4k 60fps and be able to edit the clips. Even if I drag the footage to my editing software, there is no picture and no audio.  If I just wanted 4k 30fps, I would just use the hero 5 I have already purchased. I am seriously considering a refund because of this issue. But, still have hope there is a fix, because I see many people posting their footage on social media. I would love to use the Hero 6's new upgraded camera, but need a fix to this issue. Did I recieve a faulty camera?

Thanks in advance to anymore that can help!

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: GoPro Hero 6 - 4k 60fps Media Laggy and Glitchy

[ New ]
It's most likely not the camera or SD card but the computers you are trying to play the files. 4K/60 are recorded with HEVC (h.265) as is 1080/240. All other resolutions/fps are h.264.

First, the Mac needs to be on Sierra not el Capitan. Windows 10 should work but you still need the appropriate hardware for it.
Here is a list of what is supposed to be the minimum hardware requirements:
Intel 6th-generation ‘Skylake’ Core processors or newer
AMD 6th-generation ‘Carizzo’ APUs or newer
AMD ‘Fiji’ GPUs (Radeon R9 Fury/Fury X/Nano) or newer
Nvidia GM206 GPUs (GeForce GTX 960/950) or newer
Other Nvidia GeForce GTX 900 series GPUs have partial HEVC hardware decoding support
Qualcomm Snapdragon 805/615/410/208 SoCs or newer. Support ranges from 720p decoding on low-end parts to 4K playback on high-end parts.
Nvidia Tegra X1 SoCs or newer
Samsung Exynos 5 Octa 5430 SoCs or newer
Apple A8 SoCs or newer
Some MediaTek SoCs from mid-2014 onwards

This article might help you out
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-best-media-player-for-Windows-to-play-HEVC-files-Is-it-VLC

The Windows decoder can be found here https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/mt218785(v=vs.85).aspx

View solution in original post

All Replies
Explorer

[ New ]
It's most likely not the camera or SD card but the computers you are trying to play the files. 4K/60 are recorded with HEVC (h.265) as is 1080/240. All other resolutions/fps are h.264.

First, the Mac needs to be on Sierra not el Capitan. Windows 10 should work but you still need the appropriate hardware for it.
Here is a list of what is supposed to be the minimum hardware requirements:
Intel 6th-generation ‘Skylake’ Core processors or newer
AMD 6th-generation ‘Carizzo’ APUs or newer
AMD ‘Fiji’ GPUs (Radeon R9 Fury/Fury X/Nano) or newer
Nvidia GM206 GPUs (GeForce GTX 960/950) or newer
Other Nvidia GeForce GTX 900 series GPUs have partial HEVC hardware decoding support
Qualcomm Snapdragon 805/615/410/208 SoCs or newer. Support ranges from 720p decoding on low-end parts to 4K playback on high-end parts.
Nvidia Tegra X1 SoCs or newer
Samsung Exynos 5 Octa 5430 SoCs or newer
Apple A8 SoCs or newer
Some MediaTek SoCs from mid-2014 onwards

This article might help you out
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-best-media-player-for-Windows-to-play-HEVC-files-Is-it-VLC

The Windows decoder can be found here https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/mt218785(v=vs.85).aspx
Anonymous

[ New ]

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for the quick response. I have a Nvidia GTX 970 GPU with a Intel i7K processor, which should be perfect for the hardware requirements.

I have looked into the articles, and the only way I can make all of this work is converting H.265 to H.264. Then, I can view the video in the H.264 format. Do you know if I would loose any quality? I have been researching an answer, but would like to hear it from another person.

Also, I found this application that was recommened to me by the articles: http://www.primoshare.com/video-converter-ultimate/

Has anyone heard anything good about this?

Explorer

[ New ]

@Anonymous

I wish I could give you more information or personal knowledge but this is all new to me as well.  I use an 2017 i7 with NVIDIA GTX 1050ti and edit with Adobe Premiere Pro.  I haven't done much editing in 4K/60 but have done some with 1080/240 and it rendered and played fine.  I mostly use 2.7/120 so I haven't had much reason to try the other formats other than just to get a quick look at them.

Anonymous

[ New ]
Thanks for the input, I also use Premiere Pro, and will start to experiment with things.
Anonymous

[ New ]

I shot and editied in h.265, but exported to h.264 and uploaded to YouTube. It looks and plays fine. I don't have slylake, so i won't get hardware acceleration for h.265, but I have enough cores to help me out on that. For me It takes a lot longer to export in h.265 than h.264

Anonymous

[ New ]

Is there any way to downgrade the video quality once it has been recorded.  I dont care about 4k 60FPS.  I would just like to watch the video on regular apps.  I think i have changed to best quality without major changes.  Gone to 2.7k at 60FPS.  or should it work at 4k 30FPS.  just dont want glitching.  :(

Explorer

[ New ]
You can use handbrake, export from an editor at a lower resolution/fps, or use GoPro Plus. All of my pictures and videos upload to GoPro's cloud service. Videos are automatically converted to 1080. I use these for most of my mobile apps or to use on the Quik Desktop app. They are smaller and play smoothly on just about any computer/mobile device. The added benefits are I don't have to store my videos locally and use up storage space and I can edit videos from anywhere and have access to older clips to add to my newer projects. I didn't think I'd use it much when I first started using it. Now I use it all the time.