Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

GoPro Hero 5 red light issue

I recently purchased a second Hero 5 and noticed that the red vertical light at the back top left of the camera is constantly on (although very low/dim) even when the camera is turned off.  Then sometimes, it will flicker at a very fast pace as if it was processing something.  However, it seems all the camera functions are just fine.  I also already updated the firmware using the SD card and the light is still there.  The only way it turns off is when I remove battery.  I checked to see if it's the battery by replacing with my other GoPro - no go.  I checked if its the SD card - swapped and no go.  

What I need to confirm is if this is a revision to the Hero 5? Is this light suppose to be on all the time even when the camera is shut off.  I do want to note that the light is very dimmed when camera is shut off and will brighten when turned on as normal.  My older Hero 5 will turn this light on when camera is turned on, then will eventually turn off even when the camera is on or recording.  

I have attached a photo.  New Hero 5 is on the left - shown turned off and turned on.

GoProHero5.png
GoPro Community Manager

Re: GoPro Hero 5 red light issue

@octaviousm45 - That's odd. I would suggest doing a factory reset. Instructions at https://gopro.com/help/articles/How_To/How-to-Reset-the-Camera-to-Default-Settings. Then, try the manual update again. Instructions for that are at https://gopro.com/update/hero5.

If those steps don't correct it, please reach out to our Support team at https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus and we'll try to get this fixed for you.

Thanks,

Jeff

Tourist

@octaviousm45 did you get it to go off?   I just got my hero 5 black today, and its doing the same thing.  the camera status light on the back stays on.  it gets 'lighter' when the camera is powered off, but it will not go off.  I tried updating manually.  but no change.  let me know.  thanks!!!

Tourist

It's a lie that GoPro will fix it. You'll spend hours on the phone on 3+ hour wait times. They will say they will call you back but they won't.

Try the chat and you'll just see a message saying they are busy. Try Twitter or this forum and they will only tell you to call customer service which doesn't exist. @jefft keeps telling people to contact customer service but never follows up and no one can get through.

Best thing you can do is return the camera and purchase a different brand.

Tourist

I got exactly the same.  

does anyone know how to fix it?

Tourist

After trying to get help from GoPro customer support via phone and online.....which is probably 99.8% impossible. I decided to send mine back to the place of purchase. They sent me a new one. Works perfect. No constant red light on. Was a little worried when I unboxed it and charged it up. But after a full charge and a software update. No red light when sitting at idle.
Adventurer

great to hear.

Tourist

I took it back to store but they refused to exchange it because it pass 2 months. Their policy is 15 days.