Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: GoPro Hero 5 battery drain.

Does anyone's camera get really hot?  My camera's battery drains at about 1% a minute when it's doing nothing (quickcapture is off, wifi is off, gps is on); just sitting on my desk.  It's only 4 days old.

Highlighted
Sightseer

My gopro 6 also get really hot. It was brand new so i fully charged the battery and turn it on for the first time. About 5 minutes while trying to setup the gopro, it started to feel hot and the battery already show 85%! I havent took a single photo or video yet..
I also had problem connecting/pairing the gopro with my iphone.. took me an hour and multiple times rebooting both gopro and the phone.. this is so frustrating..
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

Heat and battery drain are often linked to issues with the SD card. If you have another card that's compatible with your camera, please give that card a try. The list of compatible cards can be found at https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations.

Jeff

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks Jeff. I did a bit of reading and noticed that was a common theme. I’ve got a Sandisk Extreme SD card, however, have seen posts that recommend the Samsung Pro. Am off to buy one of those now!
Highlighted
Sightseer

I have this problem with the battery drain and overheating even without the micro SD card in the camera. I have tested the camera in every way possible. It drains the battery extremely fast no matter what. I am getting a new battery now to see if this helps or else the GoPro Hero 5 is going back to where i bought it.

Highlighted
Sightseer

@spirystar26834 I’m having the same issue, excessive battery drain, not even filming just having the camera on I’m loosing at least 1% a min and today it got really hot while filming.
Highlighted
Tourist

Anyone who is facing this particular problem in 2018; Downgrading from V2.6 to V2.51 just worked fine for me. Funny thing is, I had the same problem before the v2.5x, and it was fixed with v2.5x. After 6 months or more, it automatically upgraded to v2.6 recently and broken again with that version. I'm gonna stick with v2.51 forever I guess.

Highlighted
Hiker

Hi,
After reading this whole thread, having the same issues, having disabled everything I can. I have also ruled out the SD card having it out of the device.

So what do I do as I find it so frustrating I'm not even using it? Hate having complete buyer's remorse 😒