Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

GoPro Hero 5 battery drain.

Hi there.

So I have just purchased a GoPro Hero 5 to use as a cycle cam while riding to work and back.

My journey is approx 30 mins, but I have noticed that the camera would lose 50%+ of charge within the span of the commute.

I looked at the battery life table that is displayed on the GoPro site and my results are different to that posted:

https://gopro.com/help/articles/Question_Answer/How-Long-Does-the-HERO5-Session-Battery-Last

Currently I am capturing 720P @30fps 

Please let me know how I can improve my recording time with the battery I am using.

Many thanks in advance.

MM

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: GoPro Hero 5 battery drain.

Hello,

What kinds of features do you need? 

If if you don't need wifi, turn it off.

If you don't needs GPS, turn it off.

If you don't need voice control, turn it off.

Since you have the Session, there is no screen, so that isn't a problem.

I've heard that QuikCapture uses battery. Turn it off if you don't need it.

Finally, shooting 1080p30 actually uses less battery than 720p30. Its surprising, I know. 

Let me know your results.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Adventurer

@snowydusk7173    if you loose battery due to  unknown reasons now  it will be the QuikCapture  if OFF in 6 hours it wil lDRAIN the battery. maybe it was only me who has that issue no one else mentions it....

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Nomad

Hello,

What kinds of features do you need? 

If if you don't need wifi, turn it off.

If you don't needs GPS, turn it off.

If you don't need voice control, turn it off.

Since you have the Session, there is no screen, so that isn't a problem.

I've heard that QuikCapture uses battery. Turn it off if you don't need it.

Finally, shooting 1080p30 actually uses less battery than 720p30. Its surprising, I know. 

Let me know your results.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi Maplepanda,

Thank you so much for your reply. 

I have the Hero 5, which has a screen. I have gone through the settings and turned the auto power off to 5 mins rather 15.

All other communication modes like wireless and gps were turned off.

I wasn't aware of the quick capture feature and it is now off.

Yes! it is weird that capturing in 1080 would use less battery but I will give that a try.

Thank you once again for your reply. 

Will let you know the outcome. 

Highlighted
Adventurer

@snowydusk7173    if you loose battery due to  unknown reasons now  it will be the QuikCapture  if OFF in 6 hours it wil lDRAIN the battery. maybe it was only me who has that issue no one else mentions it....

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi Fishycomics,

Thanks, I have turned of quick capture and it seems to retain the same level of charge till I power on again. I do have about a 30% drain of battery for a 30 minute cycle but I guess this would be deemed as acceptable.

Thanks for your help.

Highlighted
Tourist

I have a new Hero 5 Black and am also experiencing rapid battery drain (100% to 0% in less than an hour). My WiFi is off, my GPS is off and my Voice Control is off. I don't know what 'Quick Capture' is but I don't remember enabling it; is that the option that lets you hit the Record button, even if the camera is Off, and it'll turn and start recording immediately? I bought two new batteries when I got the camera (through B&H) and both have the same problem. On a side note, does anyone know if there's a separate battery charger I can use so I can charge one battery, externally, while still using my other battery in the camera?

Highlighted
Adventurer

yes quick capture is one start recording you got that right.

not sure why we all got a pet rock acting differently. but   iffirmware like gopro refuses to fix and you reset the camera. not sure what else can fis it, could bea problem with the internal memory.

Highlighted
Tourist

Does anyone's camera get really hot?  My camera's battery drains at about 1% a minute when it's doing nothing (quickcapture is off, wifi is off, gps is on); just sitting on my desk.  It's 4 days old.