Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

GoPro Hero 5 and Power Hand Grip - SHORT Night Time Lapse

[ New ]

Had this happen several times and not sure what is going on.  Have my Hero 5 and a Wasabi Power Hand Grip (5200mAh/19.24Wh).  Use a fully charged regular battery and my Power Grip handle and try to do an extended night time lapse and end up with about two hours of pictures.  Set for wide view, 30 second incriments and Auto exposure time.  Usually I can shoot from sunset to sunrise with this but occasionally like last night, I get about 2 hours of shots, not even 1Gb on a 64Gb card, and then nothing.  The camera was off when I took it off the mount this morning, the red light was on showing the Power Hand Grip was still charging the camera.  Powered it on and no low battery warning, just was off.  Trying to get meteor shower shot it's kinda nice to take all night and don't get many re-do's with these.

Did it night before last with the same settings and it took 1,215 images (10 hours), last night took 272 (2 hours).  

Any help on why this would be doing this???

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Accepted Solutions
Nomad

Re: GoPro Hero 5 and Power Hand Grip - SHORT Night Time Lapse

[ New ]

Did you remove the battery from the GoPro before hooking it up to an external power source?  If not, that's likely your issue.  The GoPro won't record and charge at the same time to prevent overheating issues (using the camera produces heat, charging the battery produces heat).  So what happens is that your camera uses it's internal battery until it's goes to 0%, then the camera shuts down and starts charging via the external power source.

So for extended shooting using an external power supply, remove the GoPro battery first.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

[ New ]

Did you remove the battery from the GoPro before hooking it up to an external power source?  If not, that's likely your issue.  The GoPro won't record and charge at the same time to prevent overheating issues (using the camera produces heat, charging the battery produces heat).  So what happens is that your camera uses it's internal battery until it's goes to 0%, then the camera shuts down and starts charging via the external power source.

So for extended shooting using an external power supply, remove the GoPro battery first.

Hiker

[ New ]

Wow, would of never thought of that but makes total sense.  I'll put it out again tonight.

THANKS!!!!

Hiker

[ New ]

Definitely that was it!!!  Ran it last night, 6,651 images!  Thank you!!!

Nomad

[ New ]

Awesome, glad it worked out.  Nightlapses are my favorite thing to do with my camera's.  Make sure you share some video of your work and hope you get some awesome shots!