Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

GoPro Hero 5 Dead | Motherboard IC Failure | Disappointed

I generally do not share my disappointment about a brand online but this time I would like to make an exception. My #goprohero5 is close to 2 years old. I have never enjoyed using any electronic device like I enjoyed using this one. It was my third eye and my primary camera capturing all my travel videos.

Two days ago when I was trying to update my firmware, the gopro started to behave strange and got stuck in a boot loop. I tried almost all the suggested methods online (GoPro forum) but in vain.

It has never manhandled till date. Never have I taken it underwater or exposed to rainy conditions without it being sealed. I have also recorded an excess of 4TB of data till date. It’s disappointing that within two years of owning this device, the motherboard’s IC (not self diagnosed, GoPro India authorized service center shared this report) has intermittently failed. Similar such event occurred to a buddy of mine yesterday and his GoPro hero 5 is less than one year old.

I have always taken pride in being a part of the #goprofamily and has always been an advocate of this company, their vision and mission. Lately, after seeing such unfortunate incidents, I see a decline in quality and an “action camera” being this fragile is not acceptable.

I am ready to ship my GoPro to wherever required and looking forward to a reply for a the same.

Here is my YouTube channel: https://youtube.com/c/MadrasMotorHead 

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero 5 Dead | Motherboard IC Failure | Disappointed

Hello @madrasmotorhead

Appreciate you for sharing details of the case. Your collection of videos showcase how much you have made the GoPro camera a part of what you do.

At this point, it would be best to get in touch with our Support team so they can look into options for you, even if the camera is already out of warranty. You can reach the team via phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Best regards, 
Marius