Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

GoPro Hero 5 Black won't connect with external microphone or PC

[ New ]

When I try to use my powered external mic with the adapter, the GoPro does not recognize the mic at all. It doesn't recognize that anything is plugged into it.

Additionally, when I load up the Qlik app , plug my gopro into my PC and power it on.... nothing happens. 
I have tried every single USB port in my tower, and I have check all of my USB drivers for updates. 
The gopro just doesn't communicate with anything unless it's via wifi connection. i.e. the qlik ios app. 

All the USB C cable is good for is charging the --bleep-- thing. 

Has anyone had this issue before?

GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero 5 Black won't connect with external microphone or PC

[ New ]

@nellibuhg, if you haven't yet, reinstalling the firmware update of the camera can also help correct any errors with the current software installation. Using an SD card adapter, connect your microSD card to your computer and follow the Manual Update instructions specified in this article: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394229 

Additionally, performing a factory reset in the camera may help.

As for connecting your GoPro to the computer via USB, do you get the same results without using the Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter?

Hiker

[ New ]

Unfortunately, I do not have an SD card port. My PC is a home built gaming PC. I'll have to order a SD-USB adapter. (as a photographer I should have one of these anyway) 

I tried factory reset, it didn't help. 
When I plug into my PC I am using the GoPro USB C cable. 

:( The external mic isn't a huge deal, I'm making lax vlogs of my project car build. But not being able to upload directly to my PC for video editing is a major bummer. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @nellibuhg

If you haven't yet, you may also check the steps on 

Camera is not Recognized when Plugged into a Computer USB Port 

If it's still the same, the best option will be the SD card adapter.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

I tried those steps before reaching out to the community (including the factory reset) - the camera doesn't recognize the USB connection at all other than to charge. :( 

The adapter should be here tomorrow I will report back if reinstalling the firmware update works or doesn't work. 

Hiker

[ New ]

I followed the steps for manual update here: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Software-Update-Instructions-for-HERO5-Cameras/ta-p/388257

put the update on my sd card - powered my gopro on.... and nothing happened. the gopro doesn't even read the update when it is manually put on the sd card. 

Something is wrong with this camera. When I use the SD card in the USB adapter Quik opens up instantly so I know it's not the SD card that is the issue. 

What do I do? I paid more than $500 for this thing brand new when it first came out, it shouldn't just stop working like this. 

Nomad

[ New ]

Make sure you're running the manual update properly.  I made a video that better explains the steps that need to be taken.  This was made for a GoPro Hero 8, but the same applies to the GoPro Hero 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, Max and Fusion.  You just need to ensure (in your case) you download the GoPro Hero 5 firmware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kVTYclGorU

In this video I show you how to manually update the firmware on your GoPro. This video was made using the GoPro Hero 8 however the exact same procedure appl...
Hiker

[ New ]

Thank you for that video, it was definitely more helpful than the website instructions (with the specification that you need an UPDATE folder on the SD card). 

I got the update to install successfully, but unfortunately the camera still will not talk to anything plugged into the USB C port. 
All the cable does is charge the camera (this tells me that neither the cable or the port has bad connection). :( 

Having the SD card reader now, it's no longer an inconvenience for getting my video files. 

However, it is still a major bummer that I have a camera which does not function properly and I can't use external accessories (like my mic). The SD card reader just feels like a half-baked solution and buying another gopro is not an option financially. 

I'm hoping someone else has had similiar issues to this and has found a solution to it. 

GoPro

[ New ]

@nellibuhg, if you're still experiencing issues after going through the suggested troubleshooting steps, our Support team will be able to assist you further in resolving this. You may reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I too am having the same issue and have gone through all the same processes as outlined in these messages but I still can't get my hero5 to recognize an external mic. I started with a factory reset, completed the software patch and checked settings but still nothing. help?

Nomad

[ New ]

So one thing I do know is that the GoPro USB connection and PC's can be very ... fussy let's say.

If you use a USB 2.0 cable, it has to plug into a USB 2.0 port.  Same with a 3.0 and 3.1 cable, also it will depend on the REV number of your port.  An exact match will always work better.

With anything predating an 8, sometimes you have to uninstall the USB drivers also and re-install them for them to suddenly realize there is a camera connected.

Nomad

[ New ]

With your external microphone, as you using the GoPro Mic Adapter?

what type of Mic is it?

Does the mic have a TRS pole on it as TRRS poles will not work.  TRRS are used for smartphones whereas TRS are used for camera's.

trs.jpg

Hiker

[ New ]

@aenriquez  Hi, every time I go to that link even during "business hours"  PST -- it says that GoPro support is closed. How am I supposed to get in touch with anyone?

Hiker

[ New ]

@irishmanpdx  Thank you for these suggestions. 

I will try to uninstall and reinstall my USB drivers. I originally tried the USB connection via 2.0 ports which only charged and then tried 3.0 after. (generally I don't use the 3.0 ports unless the USB is 3.0) 

as for the mic it is TRS not TRRS  :( 

My suspicion is that something is faulty with this camera. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

I'm actually plugged into my Rugged Radio which is a TRS plug.  When looking at the camera "Preferences", the the "Audio"  is grayed out which indicates it isn't available to make changes.