Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro Hero 5 Black won't connect with external microphone or PC

[ New ]

When I try to use my powered external mic with the adapter, the GoPro does not recognize the mic at all. It doesn't recognize that anything is plugged into it.

Additionally, when I load up the Qlik app , plug my gopro into my PC and power it on.... nothing happens. 
I have tried every single USB port in my tower, and I have check all of my USB drivers for updates. 
The gopro just doesn't communicate with anything unless it's via wifi connection. i.e. the qlik ios app. 

All the USB C cable is good for is charging the --bleep-- thing. 

Has anyone had this issue before?

GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero 5 Black won't connect with external microphone or PC

[ New ]

@nellibuhg, if you haven't yet, reinstalling the firmware update of the camera can also help correct any errors with the current software installation. Using an SD card adapter, connect your microSD card to your computer and follow the Manual Update instructions specified in this article: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394229 

Additionally, performing a factory reset in the camera may help.

As for connecting your GoPro to the computer via USB, do you get the same results without using the Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter?

Tourist

[ New ]

Unfortunately, I do not have an SD card port. My PC is a home built gaming PC. I'll have to order a SD-USB adapter. (as a photographer I should have one of these anyway) 

I tried factory reset, it didn't help. 
When I plug into my PC I am using the GoPro USB C cable. 

:( The external mic isn't a huge deal, I'm making lax vlogs of my project car build. But not being able to upload directly to my PC for video editing is a major bummer. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @nellibuhg

If you haven't yet, you may also check the steps on 

Camera is not Recognized when Plugged into a Computer USB Port 

If it's still the same, the best option will be the SD card adapter.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

I tried those steps before reaching out to the community (including the factory reset) - the camera doesn't recognize the USB connection at all other than to charge. :( 

The adapter should be here tomorrow I will report back if reinstalling the firmware update works or doesn't work.