Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
It's time to update your HERO5 cameras... and don't forget to update your app to the new GoPro app too!
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro Hero 5 Black stabilisation

Hi, I received my GoPro hero 5 Black on the 29th and have been playing around with it. The inbuilt stabilisation was the selling point for me. However, I discovered that the stabilisation only works on 1080p and below and at a maximum of 60FPS.

GoPro, are you able to comment on this as I had no luck getting getting further info off the internet. Is there a way to increase the FPS ?
Backpacker

Re: GoPro Hero 5 Black stabilisation

Great Question @yvonjoseph.

I've used Stabilization on other Res, and FPS.

I would recommend you getting the latest update now available. 

https://gopro.com/update/hero5

Hiker

[ Edited ]

@yvonjoseph is almost right : I updated my Hero5 black to the latest FW (01.20), and stabilization is not available in 4K but it is available for all lower resolutions (up to 60 fps only, however).

Tourist

@chrisediting I managed to update to the latest version released by GoPro last night (1.20), however I am unable to activate stabilisation above 60FPS in 1080. 

Are you able to provide more info on how you had success with this ? 

Any tips would be much appreciated to myself and the rest of the Hero 5 Black users.

Hiker

Stabilization is available only for resolutions < 4K, and at 60 fps max.

It is clearly indicated in the Hero5's built-in menu (swipe from right to left on the touch screen).

Sightseer

Ok so they sell the gopro with VIDEO STABILIZATION but they forgot to tell you cant use it with good quality, that makes sense..... not.

But good it is clearly indicated in the menu so you can read it after you bought your hero5 black. If you bought a session without touchscreen how should you read it? Why dont usel stabilization that works in 1080 and 4k already? Stingy gopro.
Tourist

Oh well, At least GoPro managed to introduce the stabilisation with the Hero 5. I really think that should have been advertised more effectively as I sold all my Hero 4 Black gear to get the Hero 5 mainly due to the stabilsation feature.

I dont own a 4K TV, so that resolution is no use to me and for what I shoot, but it might for other Hero 5 Black users.

Fingers crossed, GoPro will release an update down the track that will enable users to have stabilisation with higher FPS. In my case, I would be very satisfied if i can shoot 1080p @ 240 FPS with stabilisation. Or GoPro can be very tactful and ignore this discussion / request, which will force users to purchase the Karma Grip for stabilisation !!!

Backpacker

Sorry to hear about that @yvonjoseph@andreash8313, and @sunnysand22415.

I don't recall this feature missing. I'll have support get to you about what's available, 

or I'll get more information once it comes to me. 

But the stabilization and Linear mode aren't available on every mode on the camera.