Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

GoPro Hero 5 Black Will Not Record

Hi.  I just got a GoPro Hero 5 black.  I charged the battery and inserted a 64GB SanDisk Extreme micro SD card.  Then I took it out for a bike ride and swimming with my daughter.  It did not record any videos despite appearing like it was recording in the moment.  I pressed the record button and the back screen showed it was recording and the timer was counting up.  I tried recording 4K 30fps video but nothing was on the SD card when I opened the folder on my laptop at home.  I also tried to update and I keep getting a failure message "THERE WAS A PROBLEM, Let's try that again".  I have tried multiple times and it has failed everytime.  I even removed the battery and reinserted it a few times.

I'm new to GoPro and so far this has been extremely frustrating.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Josh

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: GoPro Hero 5 Black Will Not Record

Ryan,

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion.  I think I figured out that my micro SD card was corrupt.  As soon as a put a new one in and booted up, everything worked fine.  I'll take it out for another test drive in the pool this week.

Thanks,

Josh

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hey Josh,

@bh2469

If you are still having some issues with that camera give these steps a try to see if we can get you up and running!

1. Perform a hard reset on the camera.
    • HERO5 Black:
      • Remove and reinsert the battery.
  2. Please ensure that your charging source meets our charging guidelines, then fully charge the camera battery.
  3. Disconnect from the charger and perform another hard reset (step #1).
  4. Visit our HERO5 Black update page, and click on "Update your camera manually" at the base of the page. 
  5. Follow the web instructions to update your camera. 

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Ryan

Highlighted
Sightseer

Ryan,

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion.  I think I figured out that my micro SD card was corrupt.  As soon as a put a new one in and booted up, everything worked fine.  I'll take it out for another test drive in the pool this week.

Thanks,

Josh