Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro Hero 5 Black Turning On By Itself

Just got a brand new GoPro Hero 5 Black. Charged it up to 100% and shut it off (with battery still installed). After about 20 minutes, it randomly turned itself on! I turned it off and after another 15-20 minutes, on it went on its own again. What gives?
Hiker

Re: GoPro Hero 5 Black Turning On By Itself

Turn off wifi on gopro, if any smartphone or tablet is trying to connect to yours gopro it try to turning on by itself

Andrea

Tourist

Hi Andrea. Thanks for the response. There is no "WiFi on or off" feature in the GoPro HERO 5 Black's pull down preferences menu. I think you may be referring to the "Connectivity" feature. Yes, this was indeed off at the time the device magically decided to turn itself on (several times). In addition, the device also showed a status of "disconnected" as it relates the the smartphone I usually pair with when this happens. This was the first thing I verified once it happened. Still having the issue, unfortunately.

GP
Tourist

Hi! My Hero5 restarts automatically, too - but not always. Haven't figured out why it does it sometimes and not others. Drained the battery. 

Sightseer

I also had that same issue. I thought it was a bad unit so just exchanged it today for another one. Haven't tried it yet to see if there is sany change. Not going to do the update until I know it's good

GoPro Community Manager

@r1canr1m - To turn the wifi off on the HERO5 Black, pull down the menu and select "Connect". Near the bottom of the "Connect" menu is the option to disconnect the wifi.

@magoo1340 - Definitely update the firmware.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hiker

My unit is updated with the latest firmware, when the battery runs out it turns off itself....then it wake up after 10/15 minutes...and turn off again...

with wifi/Bt enabled it turn on every time any app is active and ask gopro for internal photos/videos preview.... ( this must be disabled in future upgrade )

Andrea

Tourist

Did you update to the latest Firmware via the App or do a Manual Update. It was suggested to me that the manual update will cure the problem but the App Update won't. I only did the manual update and mine is now fine.