Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: GoPro Hero 5 Black Turning On By Itself

I just bought the GoPro Hero 5 and am kind of regretting it. There are way to many odd things happening. Example it will only use certain SD cards and it turns on by itself after I turn it off. I turn it off it , turns back on, I turn it back off and it turns back on, etc....i end up having to take the battery out. Then it gets really hot, really really hot... ugh! I thought I was buying a user friendly camera..
Highlighted
Anonymous

This is ridiculous! Having to take the battery out every time so that the camera won't turn on by itself is simply absurd!!! I tried updating manually (as advised), but it still won't solve the problem...
Highlighted
Anonymous

I think we have to accept that GoPro doesn't know how to fix this.

In the beginning Matt (I think) said it was definitely an error and lately Jeff has said that this is an intended feature to wake up and look for connections.

My guess is that the camera is broken by design because there's nothing checking what wakes up the camera through Bluetooth and perhaps this is in a secondary chip not reachable by firmware updates.....
Highlighted
Tourist

Just got my Hero6 the other day. Got the same problem with my camera turning on out of the blue. No WiFi or connections turned on. Still, the Hero6 turned on, sometime during the night, while inside the Karma Grip and guess what - the Hero6 is completely drained and the grip is at 50%. I mean, what the hell? So now I'll have to wait a couple of hours for the Hero6 and the Karma Grip to charge, ONCE AGAIN, before I can go on with my adventures. Where's the god **bleep** fix? Got the update, got everything. Still powering on by itself and draining all my battery.

Highlighted
Tourist

Here's what worked for me:

Open the Gopro app. Go into settings. Disable "Quickstories Auto Mode."

It seems the Gopro was constantly turning itself on to see if it had any new media to upload. Turning this feature off stopped the seemingly random restarts without disabling connectivity on my Gopro.

Hope this fixes for some other people as well!
Highlighted
Nomad

My one turned on today, on 02.60 and I do have Garmin Connect but no GoPro apps on any BT device in my home (factory reset them a while back and found no real use for the app).
Voice Command is set to off
I shall give the GP5 a factory reset.
Also broke the battery cover hinge so more expense :(
Highlighted
Nomad

Small correction, it is the USB cover I broke and during a factory reset if you set the time format to 24hr this setting is not saved and it reverts to 12hr (minor bug compared with random powering on).
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @im35461

It would be best to get in touch with our Support team for assistance on this. You can reach them here: https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks, 
Marius