Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: GoPro Hero 5 Black Turning On By Itself

Manual update? How can I do that? I'll give it a try.
Highlighted
Hiker

This discussion is describing my issue exactly.  Even down to shutting off anything that might try to contact via wifi.

Highlighted
Anonymous

I turned on voice command and told it to turn itself off seems to have worked
Highlighted
Tourist

My Session has been doing the same thing. Bought yesterday, updated firmware straightaway and confirmed it is updated.

I went into Connection Settings and turned off Connections.

This solves the problem so the thought here is that when Connections are active, my mobile phone is trying to ping the device which keeps turning it back on every 5 seconds after I tell it turn off.

Turn the Connections off and the problem seems to have gone away.... just remember to turn connections back on when you want App access

Highlighted
Hiker

Turning off connections solve my problem thank you.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Do you guys think turn the GoPro connection off solved the problem as it should be?

well yes once GoPro turn the connection off it will not auto turn on again by the Smartphone/Tablet

I agree to modify this feature by the apps in the smartphone/tablet, where when you want to wake up the GoPro by launch the Apps and once it launch click connect then it should turn on the GoPro. (As what I see the App has this action need to connect before launch the preview on the smartphone) 

But supposedly without click the connect, the GoPro should never auto turn on. 

I think this need to take look on the launch up the GoPro part and it really waste battery and user have to go setting and disconnect the connection in GoPro before turn off? wired...  

I believe this need new FW upgrade to fix this bugs that should not wake up until power button/shuttle botton push or press the connect key in the App. 

Thank you. 

Highlighted
Anonymous

I don't think it is a good plan to have to turn wifi on and off just because i dont want my camera to auto start.  I agree that pushing a button on the camera could be a good way to re-iniate it once it has gone to sleep or been turned off as opposed to the app waking it up.

Turning my phone off then telling the camera toturn off worked aswell. The camera stayed off even after I turned my phone back on.

If we have to turn wireless off and on, at least move it to the top of the menu so we dont have to scroll right to the bottom to do it each time :-) 

Highlighted
Tourist

At the very least it would make sense that when you power off the GoPro it Turns Off connections.