Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

GoPro Hero 4 Black and app

[ New ]

Hi, 

I have the Hero 4 Black and have always used the app wiith it, I have just changed my phone and no matter what I do it will not work with the app anymore. It sees the camera and even connects to it but when it asks for the password no matter what I put in it says "your password must be at least 8 characters" as though I haven't typed anything at all. I have reset the WiFi in the camera and even reset the camera settings but no matter what I do it won't go past this stage of the setup.

Thank you.

Regards

Les.

GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero 4 Black and app

[ New ]

Hi @lesn0

What phone are you using? Do you have the latest version of the app?

Do you still remember the password set on the camera?

Put the camera in pairing mode then try manually connecting to the camera's Wi-Fi network from your phone’s Wi-Fi settings. Once connected, go back to the app and see if the connection completes.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]
The phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra. I have connected to the phone through it's WiFi first and it does connect to the phone fine but still won't let me past the password stage of the app
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @lesn0

Please try setting up a new password.

Follow the steps on Reset Wi-Fi Name and Password

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]
I have already reset these settings but this is where it is stuck, it will not allow me to enter a new password it just says your password needs to be at least 8 characters and no matter how many characters I write it says the same.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @lesn0

It may be that the password requirements are not met.

See Creating a Wi-Fi Password For Your GoPro

If it's still the same, please try running a manual update. https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero4

Make sure to save the UPDATE folder to the root of the SD card.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]
The firmware for the camera is already version 5.0 (the newest) is there a way to return the camera to factory and redo the firmware updates?
Highlighted
GoPro

[ New ]

@lesn0, performing a factory reset in the camera may help. Please also make sure your mobile device and app are on their current versions.

Sightseer

[ New ]
Thanks to all that helped with this, not sure what I did but a combination of these hints and it is up and running again.