Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

GoPro Hero 3 + Black freezing

Bought this camera around 3 years ago, never really used it. I did use it around a year and a half ago with no problems whatsoever. I pull it out today, and I'm trying to connect it to the app. At first the camera appeared to be working fine, and then none of the buttons were working. I had to pull the battery out just to shut it down. I've finally been able to come to the conclusion that it's not the buttons, it's the GoPro freezing. When I put the battery back in, it would immediately do the same thing. However, when I left the battery out for a bit, it would work longer. I decided to test the camera out a bit, and snap some pictures just to see if it was working. And it is. No issues with the pictures at all. Then I tried a video. It recorded for exactly 16 seconds and then froze up. This is particularly interesting, because there are tons of other people with this same issue that also only record for exactly 16 seconds. 

Could this be a firmware issue? Could a simple reinstall help?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero 3 + Black freezing

Hello @redwave51818. Freezin tells us that there could be an issue with the camera firmware or the SD card used. This is why the troubleshooting steps here would direct you to perform a manual update of your camera firmware. This will help clear out any possible issue with the current installation so we recommend that this process be done despite the camera having the latest firmware already. 

It is also important to look into the SD card used - always best to ensure that you have a recommended SD card inserted to avoid issues due to incompatibility. Now, if you already have a recommended SD card, be sure to format it prior to using again or prior to the update process. Do not forget to save your contents first though. 

Details on the troubleshooting are presented on the link. Let us know how it works out. Thanks!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @redwave51818. Freezin tells us that there could be an issue with the camera firmware or the SD card used. This is why the troubleshooting steps here would direct you to perform a manual update of your camera firmware. This will help clear out any possible issue with the current installation so we recommend that this process be done despite the camera having the latest firmware already. 

It is also important to look into the SD card used - always best to ensure that you have a recommended SD card inserted to avoid issues due to incompatibility. Now, if you already have a recommended SD card, be sure to format it prior to using again or prior to the update process. Do not forget to save your contents first though. 

Details on the troubleshooting are presented on the link. Let us know how it works out. Thanks!

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for the response. 

I am not using a recommended SD card. It is a SanDisk Ultra Plus 16 GB. I am also using a Wasabi Power battery. Both of these have seemingly ran fine on the camera up until now. I am definitely going to try the firmware update, however I don't personally believe the non recommended SD card is the issue, simply because the camera also freezes without the SD card in with the EXACT same symptoms. 

Highlighted
GoPro

That is a good point to consider, @redwave51818. But using a recommended SD card helps us further isolate the source of the trouble. Let us know how it goes after you do the manual update. Thanks!

Highlighted
Tourist

So, I bought an SD Card reader to proceed with the update. Formatted the SD card, put the extracted UPDATE folder in the SD card and the camera starts flashing "UPDATING" with a picture of the camera on screen. It does this over and over without stopping. 

Unless someone has the firmware files that I can place directly in the SD card, it's not looking good. I'm probably just going to end up throwing the camera in the trash can like most other GoPro users do.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @redwave51818

You may reach out to our Support Team for further assistance.

They are available by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

I've attempted to reach out several times. So far, I've been utterly disappointed with the morons on the other end of the chat. They had no clue what I was talking about. One of them couldn't even follow along with my issue, and simply responded with "Will that be all today?" and I hadn't even begun to describe my issue. 

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @redwave51818

Sorry for any trouble caused.

It may be best if you reach out to the team by calling so they can guide you as you go along with the steps.

Thanks!

Ej