Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

GoPro HERO9 as webcam generating glitchy image from time to time

[ New ]

Hello everyone,

I noticed yesterday that my GoPro HERO9 is behaving in a weird way.. it randomly generates this glitchy image that can cover the whole frame, part of it or just a small portion. It happens randomly.

Some info, mostly useless but who knows!

- GoPro HERO9 with Media Mod

- 128 GB Sandisk SD

- connected via USB-C of the Media Mod to the front USB-C port of my desktop tower (PC, 9700k, Phanteks case)

- no adapters in-between

- standard cable length (it's the one from my Pixel 3a phone)

- Webcam is in linear mode

- Windows 10 latest build, all updates, all GoPro and Webcam updates done

Thanks for the help!

GoPro HERO9 glitchy image as webcam

gopro-hero9-glitches-during-webcam-use.png

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: GoPro HERO9 as webcam generating glitchy image from time to time

[ New ]

Hi @arizzoschettino

Sorry for any trouble caused.

We have recently released an update for the HERO9 Black.

Please update the camera and let us know how it goes with the new version.

Thanks!

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
Hiker

[ New ]

Forgot to mention that this glitch lasts for about half a second or less (it seems to always be 15 frames over a 30p recording, not sure this is relevant). I can see that in the preview window but also in OBS etc. so it seems to be generated at the source.

Recording with the GoPro does not produce the glitch. I haven't been able to consistently replicate this bug at the moment.

Thanks again for letting me add the above!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @arizzoschettino

Sorry for any trouble caused.

We have recently released an update for the HERO9 Black.

Please update the camera and let us know how it goes with the new version.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks Ej,

Last I checked I was using the latest version, I am not sure anything new was released after my issue but I'll check it out.

In the meantime, it seems the HERO8 Black I have is also doing the same and I am sure it wasn't doing this with the older firmware. But unfortunately there is no way to go back to older ones (I already know).

I might have to return it as defected as it seems nobody is having such an issue and it's not nice during my live streams as it lowers the whole production quality.

Shame, because the rest was working pretty nicely! I'll try and see if any new firmware is out there..

Hiker

[ New ]

I just checked and the camera is at the latest version, still having the same issue.

I am kind of at a loss after testing all cables, all ports, all process priorities, with/without media mod, different SD Card. At this point I think it's either defective software or defective camera -related issues. I bought this with the focus on real-time streaming for my education programs and I might have to return it and look at something from another brand (a shame because it really worked well in recording).

GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks for getting back to us. @arizzoschettino

We'll have this checked with the team.

Regards,

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Much appreciated! I am trying a new HERO9 tomorrow and will let you know if the same happens!

Tourist

[ New ]

I've followed this thread the last few days as I too have this issue. The response from GoPro is, uh, well, to be nice about it, not that helpful and a kind of generic reply. The following is what I've tried when trying to use the GoPro 9 as a webcam.

1.With a setup as GoPro 9 with Media Mod- Using the GoPro supplied USB a to USB c cable I've had both okay images and "glitchy" images. Mostly okay.

2. With a setup as GoPro 9 without Media Mod- Using the GoPro supplied USB a to USB c cable I've had okay images.

3. Using a USB c to USB c cable that my wife uses with her Mac I was able to get okay images (GoPro 9 without Media Mod).

4. Using other USB a to USB c cables both with and without Media Mod have not worked.

I am able to record with my GoPro 9 with Media Mod using an HDMI cable from the camera to my Asus gaming laptop via the app on my Google Pixel phone.

I'm just trying to help both of us (and anyone else) figure this out because the 'Pass it along to the team' response is kind of vague and not really trying to address the issue. With all due respect who is going to wait for a response from 'the team'?

Hiker

[ New ]

@safexpressionsI totally agree with you. I don't usually engage in gratuituous criticism but I have to say my experience with anything "human-related" at GoPro has been shockingly low in quality. I was genuinely not expecting this considering the idea I had of the brand (yes, it's now become past tense, as my opinions have changed).

I know the webcam function is an additional feature that is offered 'free of charge' and basically also unsupported, for the most part. On the recording side I had ALMOST zero issues but I did happen to record a couple long videos (I mostly do master classes and lessons for my students) that had no audio. That was shocking, to say the least, when I found out the camera had recorded a perfect video stream and a completely empty audio stream.

I had to re-do everything, called my colleagues and the people I work with to warn them about the delay, I got the usual questions: "What did you use?", "How did that happen?" and the following: "Wow, that's terrible. I was not expecting that from a GoPro!". A colleague and friend said: "Imagine you breaking a world record to find out your recorded footage had zero audio." I gotta say he's spot on.

Anyway, I've used both with/without Media Mod, supplied cables and other cables, USB A-C and C-C cables, all the USB ports I could use, both A, C and A with C>A Adapter or C with C>A Adapter.. even more than I had to test.

I ended up trying a HERO8 BLACK and a HERO9 BLACK from other friends.. same deal. All at the latest software version, latest Webcam utility.. nothing. It keeps happening.

Amazon has taken my camera back and is supposedly going to repair it. I know very well that there is nothing to repair at this moment, but I am going to use every single resource that the warranty allows me, just to keep pushing my feet on the ground while they drag me away to their will ;)

After that I'll probably ask for a refund and go for a different camera. Funny story is, I was about to do a tutorial on how I did this, I guess the tutorial is going to have a heck of a story for GoPro :)

Now, enough revenge and onto the attempted solutions: I know there are applications and utilities that one would use BEFORE GoPro released their GoPro Webcam application/utility. These apps were supposed to initiative an RTMP stream from the camera and then - some solutions - allow you to use ffmpeg through the command line to get that stream going.

I want to try these solutions, maybe I can get the stream to be more stable (if that makes any sense) and avoid those issues.

Please keep me posted if you find even the slightest indication that we might find a solution.

Oh and btw - when I read 'the team' I felt sorry for the people working at GoPro that have to go through this type of regulations for customer support. If you are reading this, please change job. You are living a sad life and you can do much better than this!

Tourist

[ New ]

Here's what I tried today:

1. GoPro 9 without Media Mod- GoPro supplied USB c to USB a- I was able to get a stable image

2. GoPro 9 without Media Mod- a different USB a to USB c- I was able to get a stable image

3. GoPro 9 with Media Mod- the cable from #2 gave me a stable image

I wonder if this video might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIMYZrhBeOw 

Good luck

Hiker

[ New ]
Very interesting. First off I didn't sound like I was thanking you enough for coming to help and I wanted to start off by saying: Thanks. Really thanks. You noticed how silent this thread was (minus 'the team' being now aware of this issue, of course /sarcasm) so this is a great relief to me. Thanks for taking the time to write me and let me know your experience.

The video you linked is interesting and offers a couple ideas that I'd like to explore, plus some questions..

1) Does the video profile in use on the GoPro have ANYTHING to do with the GoPro webcam app? I think it doesn't but I'd like to be sure. I think when he says "tinker on the video profile" on the GoPro, he means that for the HDMI out.

2) Getting my video from my HDMI out would probably solve this because the data flow would not happen from the Webcam app anymore, but rather straight out from HDMI into a capture card. The bad part is.. I have to buy YET ANOTHER DEVICE to make this whole thing work. I don't feel ashamed to say that .. the amount of accessories and additional tools required to get the most basic things in motion with GoPro, is seriously ridiculous. I am never shy to buy more stuff, I actually geek out on things and I am a trigger-happy accessory dude.. but seriously, this is getting out of hand. Media mod, stands, capture cards, longer cables, apps, third-party scripts that no longer work etc. :)

3) Now that webcam app is out and it's directly being developed by GoPro, is there ANY WAY to hook up to the camera RTMP stream, as one would do back in the days when the GoPro Webcam app was not developed? I notice that every single app out there is paid.. even for a few bucks, but the main issue is.. is this ever gonna work or did GoPro lock the whole RTMP thing out to make sure people either use their Webcam app or .. nothing? The RMTP way could be viable as one can set ffmpeg to stream more reliably and maybe - just maybe - bypass the problem the official app is generating.
Hiker

[ New ]

More testing today, with and without Media Mod, with different cables etc. different power settings, different CPU affinity/process priority etc. etc. - nothing, as long as "GoPro Webcam" handles the stream, it's gonna happen. If there's high CPU usage, it's even worse, sometimes happening ever 2-3 seconds, for around 15 frames over 25p.

The only solution I found is to use a USB capture card, go from the Media Mod to the capture card in HDMI, and use the capture card live feed from the GoPro to use in OBS. It works perfectly, no glitches, for a fun added +50 EUR for the capture card, +5 EUR for the HDMI/mini-HDMI cable and +80 EUR for the media mod. Fan-freaking-tastic.

But at least it works.

So now I've sent my HERO8 and HERO9 for repairs with Amazon.. and they'll let me know what they think of this. Fun times.

Tourist

[ New ]

Since last time I've tried the supplied usb a /usb c GoPro cable with Media Mod and got a slightly glitchy image. Then tried another brand of the same type of cable and got a glitchy image. Closed the GoPro app and turned off the GoPro. Then tried both again and it worked. Still, it just does not seem to be consistent. Like you, I have success with the HDMI (Media Mod) to a video capture card that plugs into a usb on my laptop. The video capture I use is an inexpensive one from Amazon. For what it's worth the laptop I use is an Asus ROG G15 gaming laptop and so has plenty of power to create content.

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks for letting me know, I got the same experience here, but mostly glitchy unless I am really not using the computer and sitting idle to talk with someone over video chat. The higher the CPU goes, the more it is going to be glitchy.

I recorded myself while testing something yesterday (mostly a silent stream with me tinkering with things and a kinda dark image, too) but you can see it glitching especially during heavy CPU loads. This was with the GoPro webcam app via OBS.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1068602132

The:

GoPro > Media Mod > mini-HDMI cable to HDMI > HDMI capture card > USB cable > Computer

seems to be the way to go as it also avoids unnecessary software apps (buggy and in beta, we get it) and also generates way less lag.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks for this!! And all you have been expressing this similar issue. I have been experiencing this for many months and it has been so difficult and frustrating to traverse. Is the media mod necessary to do the capture card?

Hiker

[ New ]

You are most welcome. Supporting each other this way is the least we can do.

Yes, the media mod is necessary. I've been using it with a 4k capture card since then and it works perfectly. FYI Amazon took back the other Hero8 BLACK I had just on the grounds of the webcam having those issues with the app. So in case anyone wants to return it, Amazon thought it was enough to make the product not match my expectations.

I thought I'd put it here for added info.

Best of luck!

Hiker

[ New ]

Someone conveniently marked the kind suggestion offered by the ADMIN as a solution..

It is not a solution, it still doesn't work.

Anyone reading this: there is no solution. There's no solution but it's a beta driver, so you get what you get. Glitches included.

Thanks!