Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro HERO6 Black GPS (Gauges) issues

[ New ]

Does anyone recognizes this issues regarding a GoPro HERO6 Black (firmware 2.10)?

• GPS Gauges are updated two times a 8 minute clip.
  • GPS Gauges does not align with what is shown in the recorded video.
  • GPS Gauges are only availalbe for the first clip of a multi-segemented video, the other clips does "not have GPS data".

Here is a 18 second video snippet export of the first clip of a multi-segmented video, from stand-still to 28 kph, but it is shown as 39 kph constant (never was that fast).

Is this an camera firmware issue? Could it be a camera hardware defect? Is it just an Quik PC-software issue?

Accepted Solutions
Backpacker

Re: GoPro HERO6 Black GPS (Gauges) issues

[ New ]

There's a lot of difference between a GPS tracker and an action camera equipped with a GPS chip.

GPS trackers are dedicated GPS devices.  They usually have one purpose only (GPS) and as a result they are designed and built with that in mind.  So larger antenna, a GPS chip capable of receiving data from different GPS networks.  A more powerful receiver, an increased update rate, GPS filters etc.

Your GoPro is an action camera with a tiny little antenna on the top of it and a GPS chip about the size of a grain of rice.  By comparisson to a GPS tracker, a GPS tracker will blow it out of the water so to speak.  It's a "fun feature", it's not a highly accurate top of the range GPS device.  Due to it's restricted size, antenna size, antenna positioning and relatively week reception power, this is why it needs a much clearer view of the sky and GPS ghosting is a common issue.  Since it's not a dedicated GPS device, there may even be restrictions on how many GPS sats it can connect to and which GPS networks it can use.

Even your phone will give you a better GPS position as not only is it more powerful with a larger antenna, but it also cheats (as do some GPS tracking devices), they basically use cell tower triangulation to boost their GPS data as well as filter "most likely location" based upon mapping data.  

So doing things like mounting your camera upside down (the camera body therefore blocks the GPS antenna), Mounting it to the side of a helmet (lightweight helmets may use carbon fiber which guess what, blocks GPS signals), or mounting it on your body where your body may block GPS receiption is not ideal for a camera with a "fun feature" of GPS.

I myself find the GPS to be ok and mostly reliable, but even then it has it's issues (mounting upside down for instance may affect altitude readings for example).  If I need accurate GPS data, I use a dedicated GPS device.

Quik for desktop was discontinued 3 years ago due to the fact it was terrible terrible terrible software (I cannot stress that enough).  It was buggy, professional video editors had no use for it, simple video editors (who just wanted drag and drop editing) preferred to use other companies software that offered far more features.  Those that wanted GPS gauges also tended to use 3rd party software.  Simply put, it was costing GoPro a lot of time and money to keep developing software that no one was using, ergo, Quik for desktop was discontinued.

Quik for mobile (Android and iOS) is basically the software that saved the company.  GoPro are throwning lots of resources at this and developing it to be better and offer more features with every release.  GoPro know that by comparisson, they are behind the curve when it comes to their mobile platform and that's why they are throwing money at it.  It's the most popular way for people to use the camera and it generates a huge revenue stream for them (due to the intergration with the GoPro Plus Subscription).  

As I said, those that want professional GPS gauges use professional tools.  The GoPro "Quik" app is not professional GPS software (they can only offer 6 stickers, 1 of which is a repeat and 1 has nothing to do with GPS as it's a GoPro logo).  Since the majority of users only use GPS stickers for fun, increasing GPS functionality is not on GoPro's roadmap.  

Personally I use this software:

https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/telemetry-overlay-gps-video-sensors

I simply load up my GoPro clips (multiple clips if I want all the GPS data added) and then adjust/add/subract the gauges I want.  I then export the data as a transperent overlay.  Then import the original video and the transperent overlay track into my video editor as two seperate but synced tracks.  That way I can make the gauges fade in and out, move them about etc.  

I don't know if the GPS in the Hero 7 is "Better" than the 6 as honestly, I don't own a 7.  I do know that no matter which GoPro you use, if you don't have it in a location where it has a clear unblocked view of the sky, you're always going to get less than accurate data.  This is just simply a restriction of the size of the GPS module, the size of the antenna and power of the receiver.  As I stated, it's a fun feature, but it's not a dedicated GPS device.  If you mount it properly, you'll have more accurate data.

Hopefully all that information helped!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Backpacker

[ New ]

Quik for desktop was discontinued over 3 years ago, no doubt it's not going to work with the latest windows updates etc.

Also you need to be in an area with a strong GPS signal with the camera mounted so it has a clear view of the sky with nothing blocking it.  In this video it looks like the camera may be chest mounted with your head, helmet and most of your body blocking GPS reception.

Tourist

[ New ]

@irishmanpdx thanks for the reply.

I had two other GPS tracker, which was "burried" in my backback with (light fabric) clothing on top, so completely no direct line of sight to the sky. Those trackers had almost maxed out their satellite tracking capacity (9 out of 12 GPS-only, and 26 out of 32 GPS/Glonass/Galileo).

Is the GPS within the HERO6 realy that bad, that, with clear direct view to the sky, so it becomes confused by my helmet, which would also have affected the other trackers in my backpack?

Quik for Android produces other output but "broken" GPS Gauges as Quik for Desktop does. If Quik for Android is also discontinued, what shall I use? There is no other video editor on the market, which can extract the GPS information out of the GoPro video file...

Is the GPS in HERO7 reception better than the HERO6, or is it the same?

Backpacker

[ New ]

There's a lot of difference between a GPS tracker and an action camera equipped with a GPS chip.

GPS trackers are dedicated GPS devices.  They usually have one purpose only (GPS) and as a result they are designed and built with that in mind.  So larger antenna, a GPS chip capable of receiving data from different GPS networks.  A more powerful receiver, an increased update rate, GPS filters etc.

Your GoPro is an action camera with a tiny little antenna on the top of it and a GPS chip about the size of a grain of rice.  By comparisson to a GPS tracker, a GPS tracker will blow it out of the water so to speak.  It's a "fun feature", it's not a highly accurate top of the range GPS device.  Due to it's restricted size, antenna size, antenna positioning and relatively week reception power, this is why it needs a much clearer view of the sky and GPS ghosting is a common issue.  Since it's not a dedicated GPS device, there may even be restrictions on how many GPS sats it can connect to and which GPS networks it can use.

Even your phone will give you a better GPS position as not only is it more powerful with a larger antenna, but it also cheats (as do some GPS tracking devices), they basically use cell tower triangulation to boost their GPS data as well as filter "most likely location" based upon mapping data.  

So doing things like mounting your camera upside down (the camera body therefore blocks the GPS antenna), Mounting it to the side of a helmet (lightweight helmets may use carbon fiber which guess what, blocks GPS signals), or mounting it on your body where your body may block GPS receiption is not ideal for a camera with a "fun feature" of GPS.

I myself find the GPS to be ok and mostly reliable, but even then it has it's issues (mounting upside down for instance may affect altitude readings for example).  If I need accurate GPS data, I use a dedicated GPS device.

Quik for desktop was discontinued 3 years ago due to the fact it was terrible terrible terrible software (I cannot stress that enough).  It was buggy, professional video editors had no use for it, simple video editors (who just wanted drag and drop editing) preferred to use other companies software that offered far more features.  Those that wanted GPS gauges also tended to use 3rd party software.  Simply put, it was costing GoPro a lot of time and money to keep developing software that no one was using, ergo, Quik for desktop was discontinued.

Quik for mobile (Android and iOS) is basically the software that saved the company.  GoPro are throwning lots of resources at this and developing it to be better and offer more features with every release.  GoPro know that by comparisson, they are behind the curve when it comes to their mobile platform and that's why they are throwing money at it.  It's the most popular way for people to use the camera and it generates a huge revenue stream for them (due to the intergration with the GoPro Plus Subscription).  

As I said, those that want professional GPS gauges use professional tools.  The GoPro "Quik" app is not professional GPS software (they can only offer 6 stickers, 1 of which is a repeat and 1 has nothing to do with GPS as it's a GoPro logo).  Since the majority of users only use GPS stickers for fun, increasing GPS functionality is not on GoPro's roadmap.  

Personally I use this software:

https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/telemetry-overlay-gps-video-sensors

I simply load up my GoPro clips (multiple clips if I want all the GPS data added) and then adjust/add/subract the gauges I want.  I then export the data as a transperent overlay.  Then import the original video and the transperent overlay track into my video editor as two seperate but synced tracks.  That way I can make the gauges fade in and out, move them about etc.  

I don't know if the GPS in the Hero 7 is "Better" than the 6 as honestly, I don't own a 7.  I do know that no matter which GoPro you use, if you don't have it in a location where it has a clear unblocked view of the sky, you're always going to get less than accurate data.  This is just simply a restriction of the size of the GPS module, the size of the antenna and power of the receiver.  As I stated, it's a fun feature, but it's not a dedicated GPS device.  If you mount it properly, you'll have more accurate data.

Hopefully all that information helped!

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi @irishmanpdx, and thanks again for your in-depth answer! Smiley Very Happy

So it comes down to that the GPS reception of any/the GoPro is extremely "limited" due to the GPS chip/antenna is tiny in comparison to a cheap (GPS-only) dedicated GPS tracker.

With this information in my hand, I guess I will not upgrade to a HERO7/8/9 just for GPS (maybe for stabilization to a HERO7, even though).

I will now use my dedicated GPS trackers to import the data into Telemetry Overlay, convert it to a transparent video (one video per metric), and overlay it in my video editor (Davinci Resolve).