Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro HERO 8 cannot connect to GoPro app

Hi,

I have a GoPro HERO 8 Black and I encountered an issue with the GoPro app when I tried to connect to my camera.

I manage to establish a connection (the app says it is connected, and there is a blue tick) between the devices, yet if I click on "Control Your GoPro" or "View Media" I get an error saying "We had trouble connecting to your GoPro".

This issue first occurred on 2019-12-22, I had not experienced this error before that time. It is not working since then.

My phone: IPhone SE, iOS: 13.3

The things I have tried:

- Reinstalling the GoPro App

- Switching on/off the camera

- Resetting the camera's wireless connection

- Deleting the camera from the app, and pair it again

- Changing the camera's WiFi frequency

- Removing all the details of the camera from my phone (bluetooth, WiFi network)

I have tried connecting with my brother's Android phone, and it was half success, I could establish a connection and control the camera, but was unable to install the update on the GoPro saying there was an issue during the installation. So there is definitely a problem.

gopro1.jpggopro1.jpg

And of course my GoPro is on, it is close by, and Wi-Fi is enabled on both devices.

I ran out of ideas of what the issue could be, so I would like to ask for your help.

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards,

Adam

GoPro

Re: GoPro HERO 8 cannot connect to GoPro app

Hello @fleetcrest2884. A manual firmware update on the camera will help. The steps below will guide you through the process. 

1. Go to the Update page and choose your HERO8 camera.
  2. Under "Other ways to update" at the base of the page, click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your Serial Number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system. 

Make sure that your camera battery is fully charged. It is also important to format the SD card prior to the update. Save all contents first as formatting the card will erase all its contents. 

After the update, perform a factory reset on the camera, then pair again following the steps you detailed in your post above. Let us know how it works out. 

Tourist

Thank you for the reply, I have followed the steps exactly how you described it, also performed the factory reset, paired the camera with my phone again, it is no longer offering an update, but the issue remained the same, I am unable to control the GoPro, the same error message appears as in the original post.

Highlighted
Nomad

Make sure your iPhone isn't using a secure VPN connection or VPN connection software.

Sightseer

Any updates on this issue? I'm having the same problem with my HERO8. Thanks.
Tourist

Make sure your iPhone isn't using a secure VPN connection or VPN connection software.

Sightseer

Hi there, I am having exactly the same issue. I bought my HERO 8 a couple of weeks ago, the initial setup and connecting to the app was fine and I was able to connect and control the camera perfectly. However since I did the most recent update on the software I haven’t been able to connect to the app. I have tried all the steps mentioned in the trouble shooting page but still no luck.
Any more tips??
Tourist

Hi,

What eventually solved the issue for me is i turned my phone off and on again. A basic Step i forgot at the beginning.

I hope this would help you as well if you havent tried it yet.

Kind regards,
Adam