Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

GoPro Freezes Multiple Times I’ve Lost Valuable Footage It’s Brand New

I bought this product brand new three weeks ago and on its second use it froze and stopped responding to all inputs. The only thing I could do is unplug the battery. I did so I assumed it was a fluke and continue using the camera. Two weeks later and it stops filming and freezes one minute into a flight lesson that I am recording. I lost footage of my very first landing in an airplane which is extraordinarily valuable to me and I am furious. The second time it did this, I recorded its behavior on my cell phone as proof. I want a new GoPro. This one is broken.
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: GoPro Freezes Multiple Times I’ve Lost Valuable Footage It’s Brand New

Did you format your SD Card in the camera before using it for the first time?

Highlighted
Sightseer

I have the same experience, I just stopped using it. It keeps
Freezing, it randomly shuts off, or it won’t turn off. It’s a complete mess, hero 7 black such a let down. Like you spend this kind of money it should work, I even bought the best Sd card for a GoPro and to no avail. I’m sorry you lost that moment (footage wise), that’s horrible.
Highlighted
GoPro

@boldstoke64861, @coolhill537, the freezing issue in a camera is usually an indicator the camera's software needs to be updated or there is potentially an issue with the microSD being used. Try removing the SD card and see if the camera still freezes up. If it no longer freezes, then the issue is likely stemming from the SD card.

Make sure that a recommended SD card is used for your camera. Using SD cards that aren't recommended can cause issues like freezing as the card isn't fast enough to write the content, the camera getting hot or battery consumption is higher than normal as the camera stays in an active mode trying to sync to the card. 

You can also try formatting the SD card. (NOTE: Reformatting the SD card will delete all data off of the card, so be sure that you save any videos or pictures you want to keep on your computer before reformatting the SD card.) 

Reinstalling the firmware update of the camera can also help correct any errors with the current software installation. Using an SD card adapter, connect your microSD card to your computer and follow the Manual Update instructions specified in this article: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394229 

Additionally, performing a factory reset in the camera may help. 

Let us know how it goes.