Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro Color vs Flat.

[ New ]

I have been experimenting with color grading video shot flat. I also shot the same scene with GoPro Color to compare. I understand the dynamic range is captured better with the flat setting and that GoPro Color pops colors a little more than one may want. I have used the appropriate LUTs and have done color correction and grading without a LUT on the flat video.

I noticed that each flat video is different and you cannot apply a LUT without tweaking to get good (subjective) results. If you don't use a LUT, you still spend time getting all the variables correct. My point is - It really is subjective and it takes a lot of time. Sometimes when I think I'm done grading my flat video, the GoPro Color version looks a little better. So I tweak the flat more till it looks good.

I am planning to shoot many hours with the GoPro in the next few months. It is all for personal use. I'm toying with the idea of just leaving the setting on GoProColor and taking the exposure down to -.5 or -1 on bright sunny days to help retain more detail on the brights. I love tweaking and playing around with my video but the gains just aren't enough here I feel.

I see the minor flaws of the GoPro color setting. But it can be corrected very easily in post and it saves hours of grading and correction work which I don't feel gains you THAT much to make it worth all the time spent to make the video a little better. 

Bottom line-  The advantage of shooting all of this in flat must be weigh against the enormous time it will take to precisely correct the flat footage. I consider any small loss of detail with GoProColor to be acceptable given the alternative. The popping colors can be saturated down and the sky can be made less blue if needed. These are small easy adjustments than taking on a flat video where no LUT or one adjustment fits all your flat video. Each one needs special attention.

Thoughts on this? Thanks....

Accepted Solutions
Hiker

Re: GoPro Color vs Flat.

[ New ]

One tip.

Use manual white - balance. Otherwise the camera will change colour-tone depending on the content you're filming.
If filming from afternoon to night, you will have to corredt this, but at least you have control on when. The change in colour-will be quite consistent. I usually end up with one colour correction for the whole day, than on extra for the evening shots. I do limit the ISO to 400, and keep the exposure settings in auto.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Hiker

Re: GoPro Color vs Flat.

[ New ]

One tip.

Use manual white - balance. Otherwise the camera will change colour-tone depending on the content you're filming.
If filming from afternoon to night, you will have to corredt this, but at least you have control on when. The change in colour-will be quite consistent. I usually end up with one colour correction for the whole day, than on extra for the evening shots. I do limit the ISO to 400, and keep the exposure settings in auto.