Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

GoPro Black 7 not recording videos

Ive had my GoPro 7 Black for over a year now and it was working fine with Sandisk Extreme card. Today, i went snowboarding with my family as we have done previously and recorded about 9 videos. The GoPro indicated 54 videos and by the end of day 63 was indicated as the total. 

I pulled the card out when i got home and none of the 9 new videos were there. I put the card back in and tried a test recording which incremented to 64 total videos. I took the card out again and no videos were recorded. In fact none of the dates on the files in other directories were marked with todays date. I tried again and still no video file.

I decided to connect the GoPro to the mobile app in hopes of being able to access the video files but they were not there. I tried a test with the app connected and the app reported that it was recording... and the latest new video it now there! I checked the card and the new video just recorded is there but none of the 9 videos taken today.

Any idea what is going on and what i can do to prevent this? I just updated to the latest firmware but this seems like a very basic and core functionality that is relied upon. During the day everything looked like it was recording perfectly. When I recorded the video showed the red circle and time count of the elapsed recording. When i pressed record the single beep sounded and multiple beeps when recording stopped. So i really dont know why none of the 9 videos recorded...

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: GoPro Black 7 not recording videos

OK.  Looks like I found the issue...

For some reason, the camera recorded the videos from yesterday with a 2016-01-01 folder date.  The camera preview knew that these were actually 2020-03-08 videos and showed them in the right chronological order.  After I imported the videos, the media listing on Quik put all the 2016-01-01 folder videos all the way at the bottom.  When I scrolled quickly, I didn't notice since they are all snowboarding videos with similar scenery.

Then I clicked on the Quik "Recents" and the videos from yesterday were there!  I played them to validate that they were all on the computer...  then I went back to "Media" and noticed that they were at the bottom tagged as Fri Jan 1st 2016...  So problem solved.  The camera decided to create a folder 2016-01-01 and gave me a panic!  Not sure why 2 test videos yesterday caused it to create a new 2020-03-08 folder...  ok.  All is good except for the heart attack that I lost 9 good videos... which I didn't!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @vitaltree85763. Are you able to view the nine videos through the camera? Would you know how long the videos are? How are you viewing your videos? Is it through Quik for desktop or any other media player? 

When the camera is connected to your computer (or when the SD card is inserted directly via SD card adapter, does your computer (through the file finder or file explorer) detect the files? 

Do the "missing" videos have different resolution settings with the new video that you are able to view in the GoPro App? Were those regular recordings or time lapse or timewarp ones? 

These details will help us isolate the issue. We hope to hear back from you. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks so much for your response!  I'm still a bit of a Noob with the new camera.  I was not aware that I could view the videos with the camera and found out after you asked.  After swiping up, I WAS able to find all the missing videos.  Even the 2 test videos that were missing as well as the 2 test videos that I could locate on the SD Card.

I previewed all the missing videos last night.

I was viewing the raw video files via a Media Player on my PC and with my Android media players (Dune, Zidoo, etc)

I have not yet connected the camera to a PC, I had been copying the raw files from the SD card.

All the video resolutions are the same.

Should I connect the camera via the USB C cable directly and see if I can transfer the videos that way?

Highlighted
GoPro

Yes @vitaltree85763

You can try that.

See How to Import Camera Files to a Computer - Windows 10 for reference.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Hello, I downloaded the Quik app for my MAC and downloaded all the videos but the 9 videos that I cannot find on the SD card are still missing.

However, they are still viewable from the camera and I can still preview them on the camera.  What else can I do to recover the videos?

Highlighted
GoPro

It is really odd that the videos can be viewed on the camera and not on your computer. May we know which SD card you are using? Information on the brand, type and capacity will be greatly helpful. Specifically, what resolution settings were used for the video? Will you be able to send us screenshots of the SD card content as seen on your computer's file finder window? 

Highlighted
Tourist

OK.  Looks like I found the issue...

For some reason, the camera recorded the videos from yesterday with a 2016-01-01 folder date.  The camera preview knew that these were actually 2020-03-08 videos and showed them in the right chronological order.  After I imported the videos, the media listing on Quik put all the 2016-01-01 folder videos all the way at the bottom.  When I scrolled quickly, I didn't notice since they are all snowboarding videos with similar scenery.

Then I clicked on the Quik "Recents" and the videos from yesterday were there!  I played them to validate that they were all on the computer...  then I went back to "Media" and noticed that they were at the bottom tagged as Fri Jan 1st 2016...  So problem solved.  The camera decided to create a folder 2016-01-01 and gave me a panic!  Not sure why 2 test videos yesterday caused it to create a new 2020-03-08 folder...  ok.  All is good except for the heart attack that I lost 9 good videos... which I didn't!