Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

GoPro 9 incomplete recordings on my FPV drone.

[ New ]

Hello,

I use the GoPro on my FPV drone with a 3d printed case, the camera ruined like 25-30 videos in the past month, horrible!

This is the flow: Press record > do a 5-6 min flight with the drone and return > Press stop > file is saved ( no error ) > The footage has like 30-80 sec in total.

Temprature condtions: 10* C 

Geo: Low mountains, cliffs

Camera: screen looked, voice control off, GPS off, WiFi off, Hypersmooth off.

MicroSD: Sandisk Extreme 128Gb XC1 V30

Battery: stock from the camera

FW: 01.50

After the yesterday fails were like every videos was ruined i did a few tests:

1 - recored 2:01 min out the window of moving car, it only saved 1:01 min, 50% was lost.

2 - recored 5 min inside the car, saved the entire video, no problem at all 

Please help or any advices to get this fixed, at this moment i can't relay on the camera to do any shoots.

Hiker

Re: GoPro 9 incomplete recordings on my FPV drone.

[ New ]
No one? :(
Tourist

Betreff: GoPro 9 incomplete recordings on my FPV drone.

[ New ]

Hi,

I have the same problem.

Thats my settings were it stopps recording spontaneously:

60fps
Hypersmooth off
Bitrate high
Original Battery

It happens spontaneously, filming just in my hand or on my FPV drone. I recorded 1:36min and saved is only 0:17.
Cannot cause the problem on its own.

I think there is a problem with the "high Bitrate" in the combination with "Hypersmooth off".
Is it to much "Data" to process for the software?

Wich camera settings did you record?
Hiker

[ New ]
Also 4K - 60fps, High bitrate.

When you got the issue:

1 - it was cold at the location? What temperature was?
2 - did you use any case for the camera?

I am asking because i did a test inside my car were it was warm and the recording was ok, nothing lost.
Tourist

[ New ]

1 - it was about 10-15° outside. In one situation i warmed up the battery in a Lipo heater. Same issue. However, I did not heat the camera.

- i will test it again, and i will record outside in the cold

2 - yes a case/shell printed in TPU

The problem mostly arises on the drone. The same is reported from other groups.

For now you can choose the lower bitrate and it should work....

Hiker

[ New ]
Same here 10*C windy with TPU !

Another thing: did a short video held with handle grip underwater in a small river, from 1 min i just got 20sec.

I will try to connect it to a lipo and do a test, i am almost sure that the low temp has something to do with it, i will try it today since are 4*C outside and let you know what happens.

Hiker

[ New ]

So i did this test:

Put the camera in the freezer for 2 min 

Wrap it in a wet tissue

Filmed outside at 3*C + medium / high wind 

1 -  The original battery failed from 20% went dead like in under 2 min, and the total lenght of the recoreded clip was 30 sec.

2 -   With the LiPo battery was super ok, filmed 4 min, all was good.

I will do again this test with 100% full battery 

Hiker

[ New ]

So after a long testing time, GoPro 9 has a serious bug:

- The camera stops recording when in 4K 60 FPS 16:9 0 hypersmooth off.

this is the main issues, no temperature, no battery and no sd card issues.

Hiker

[ New ]

Auch bei normale Aufnahme gehen die Speicher lehr aus . bei mir waren 5 minuten aufnahme. ergebnis 

20210124_181155.jpg
GoPro

[ New ]

We appreciate your sharing of your observations on the issue, @mada8000, @frankb5536, and @mbfm30

We'd like to gather specifics to help determine the cause of the trouble. Is the issue observed with the latest camera firmware v1.5? We tested with HERO9 Black units on v1.5 using the same settings as above. Playback on the camera and on the GoPro App, as well as on a computer reflects the same amount of time as recorded. 

Could this be associated with chaptering

Hiker

[ New ]

It's likely because the camera is freezing. This means that only sound is recorded. maybe a temperature problem. Part is also to observe that the camera is very hot up to 39 degrees.

20210124_224337.jpg
Hiker

[ New ]

Hello @mariustanya 

Thanks for reaching us out, yes the firmware  is 1.5V, i attached a dropbox folder link whit some footages i hope that will help, they are pretty short so no time was need to create any split/chaptering files. 

Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0wdgsaja7xbpkko/AACJ1QkPmoJXAtINkmlsYNhxa?dl=0

Also i used the Gp9 case in some footages ( the ones above the city )

I also discused with a lot of other people whit this issue ( on the Reelstedy GO group on Facebook ), beside that this mode 4K 60FPS 16:9 Hypersmooth off is the most prefered and used mode for cinematic videos on drones.

Thanks a lot  

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the input, @mbfm30, and @mada8000. We will share this with the team. We will post back once we hear back from them. 

Tourist

[ New ]
I’d like to add on to this as I use my gopro 9 to record fpv drone footage and did extensive testing today. Firstly I want to say I’m shooting at 4K60fps, pro tune on, no stabilizers or boost, gps/voice commands off, mounted to a 5” fpv drone with a TPU mount. I’m using a sandisk U3 64gb card that came with the gopro 9 bundle. The weather was around 45’F and 3x fully charged official gopro 9 batteries were used.

The gopro stops recording midflight around the 0:45-1:15 mark, and repeated this issue 10+ times after this. I also ran test videos using the same settings as above while the gopro was just sitting on a table or outside on the sidewalk and the gopro recorded several 10-15min long videos. Not once did the gopro stop recording while it sat stationary. After this, even after flying extremely slow (<2mph) for 4-5mins the video cut off at around 1 min.

I have tried updating the firmware manually, swapping sd cards, factory resetting, nothing seems to make a difference. I really don’t want to send my gopro back again, last time it took over a month.
Hiker

[ New ]
I’ve been dealing and posted about this many times in the past when the camera first came out. Those are my preferred settings so I’m going to try it with hyper on instead. Since I use with it plugged in I was told to remove the battery and nope it still cuts off randomly thus I’m hoping turning hyper on will fix the issue @60fps 4k. It’s super annoying and can’t even use this camera for anything important. I always shoot with a GoPro5 as a back-up camera which is pretty ridiculous. My confidence with this company is at an all time low.
Hiker

[ New ]

EXACLTY is how i set my camera, and exaclty the same issues, beside the TPU i also bought the GP9 Case but no luck, and YES if i put the camera on something stable it records whitout any issues.

Really "happy" to see that more people are pointing out this issues and maybe we will get a fix SOON.

Hiker

[ New ]
Reporting Back.

Unfortunately with hyper on @60fps 4k linear it did not fix the issue. It’s plugged in with (certified GoPro cable) with no battery and I hit record closed the app and went back to check. When I reopened the app it would not connect so I had to hold the button on the side for a few seconds. After it allowed the app to reconnect I checked to see how much it recorded.

I have four (4) videos 5:20min and one (1) video that cut off at 2:08min

Doesn’t matter if I have a battery inside or not it’s the same thing over and over. I should have returned it within my 30 days but I held out until the last update in mid Dec just hoping they would fix. The camera is complete useless garbage and GoPro has to knows about this issue. I have a GoPro but unfortunately I don’t have a camera.
Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya i am willing to try any beta firmware if needed to test it out.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hello @mariustanya 

Are any updates on this issues ? 

Thanks a lot

Hiker

[ New ]
Luckily i was able to send to back to best buy yesterday and they’ll send another in the coming weeks after they test it. I’m going to see if it’s only happening on a certain batch produced because the amount of people experiencing this issue isn’t huge.
Hiker

[ New ]

Cool cool, looking forward to hear from you.

Hiker

[ New ]
Hey man, got some new updates?

Cheers
Hiker

[ New ]

Yes, BestBuy just returned my money to a gift card after they determined it was indeed a faulty GoPro 9. I went back and purchased a new one just a few days ago with 14 days to return. The first test on the new camera was perfect! BUT I want to keep testing a few more times letting the SD card fill up.

I took photos under the original box (purchased the day it was released) and the new box (just a few days ago) and both have slight variations with some possible build numbers in yellow (dunno) but they are different boxes. I’ll attach to this post and report back after testing further. 

IMG_9851.jpg
Hiker

[ New ]
Wow, that is really great news!
Hiker

[ New ]

Unfortuately it was short lived... all subsequent tests have failed and the camera shuts off. 

I'm in the process of reverting each setting that I changed one by one and retest. 

Hiker

[ New ]
After 10 additional tests with the new camera using 4k @60fps I’m convinced that the camera is over heating and cutting off. I’m not sure why it worked on the first try when I got it home, maybe some component burned out with the tests that followed due to heat. I even tried 3 different certified sandisk extreme 256 and 128 plus cards. I also tried using multiple power adaptors including a straight usb3 to usb3 cable and adopter since all tests were preformed with the battery out.

Its going back tomorrow and will wait it out for the GoPro 10 to see if they fixed whatever (must be known) issue(s).
Hiker

[ New ]
I’ll also note that all tests when pressing record were done via the app not the camera both with preview on and without.. after pressing record I always close out the app since we have no live preview anyways. When I go back to the app (usually 30min later) it will not connect to camera unless I physically press and hold the side button. After it reconnects I check media to ALWAYS find only a few videos have been recorded the final one is typically minutes less than the other clips.
Hiker

[ New ]

that sucks then :( , i contacted support they offered to replace the camera, but from what you are saing it will be a waste of time to send it back and wait for another one. 

Hiker

[ New ]

You can always try for yourself but I wouldn't get your hopes up. Since I don't use the camera at any other resolution or frame rate it's just not worth keeping. That first test really got me excited but then I started thinking why am I excited, I mean the camera should work as expected.... lol

Hiker

[ New ]

hahaha :))) 

Hiker

[ New ]

i will try to install the Labs Firmware and do a few tests

Hiker

[ New ]

let me know how it works out. I'll defintely re-purchase later if this issue ever gets resolved but I'm really banking on it being an internal camera heat issue.

Hiker

[ New ]

i did a wierd test but with the result that i was looking for, i put the camera on a massage vibrating device, 2 out of 4 tests failed to record all the video, but on the drone i am sure that the vibration fq is much higher and fails everytime.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hallo also ich hatte viele Probleme mit der 9er Black. nachdem ich mich an den Support gewendet habe bekamm ich ein Anruf da haben die Jungs alles verstanden und besser als Email und so. Die haben den Tausch beantragt und ich bekamm alle ERetouren und Anweisung per Mail. Ich habe die Camera nach Holland gesendet und bekamm eine Neue . Bis jetz bin ich zufrieden mann kann sie bedienen was vorher nicht richtig ging und keine Fehler bei Aufnahmen mehr lediglich hat sie sich 2 mal Aufgehangen bei Kälte drausen. Also der Support ist Gut als lieber Anrufen statt hin und her schreiben. 

Tourist

[ New ]
I have the same issue. I lost many files while recording with max lens when skiing. This is really a shame that I cannot rely on this camera...
Hiker

[ New ]
I totally understand, i can say that i had pass a few projects to shoot due to that issue, i am also thinking to do a Youtube video and specifically show this issue, maybe someone will fix this.
Tourist

[ New ]
I just noticed that the latest firmware includes: “Improvements to camera power-on reliability”

Let’s see if it changes anything.
Sightseer

[ New ]

I do have same issue with my brand new GoPro 9 Black.

I've made few recordings at home, and everything is perfect. 

Then we went for bicycle trip for almost 8 hours recording multiple shots with Quick Start On. Camera was turning on, screen showed that camera is rolling (timer was correct) - no issues, no errors, everything as usual.

When I got home NONE of videos were available in preview or in the app.

Luckyli we had a second GoPro 7Black.

I was thinking that this is a SD Card write issue (read works properly - I can see and download all prewious recordings) I've replaced the card with another and then again with original - recordings were ok. 
So I took my GoPro again for another filming again today. Shot few minutes of recordings in 30-40 sec files.
Came back home and guess what? Videos are gone!

Interesting is that yesterday camera showed remaining recording time 1h54 min.
Today after recording "nothing" remaining time dropped to 1:45 min  which could fit todays total record time.

But no sign of a files on SD card. At least when in camera. I don't have card reader to check outside GoPro enviroment but GoPro 7 also does not see my yesterday and todays recordings from GoPro9.

Ah. 
All was shot on FHD 60fps wide. GPS Off, Quick Start On.

Hiker

[ New ]
I returned my 2nd GoPro a day before the update so I’m curious if this fixes the issue.

It does say “improvements” to the battery not “Fixed” thus not too confident.
Sightseer

[ New ]

I did the update today morning before going out for recordings.

Did not observed the changes. 
I just did not made factory reset before so need to retest.