Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

GoPro 9 - black screen - freezing issues

[ New ]

Hello, I just received my GoPro Hero 9 two days ago. The image quality is amazing - the audio is SO much better than my Hero 5 but the usability is so disappointing.  

I had heard that there were freezing issues with it from YouTube reviews but WOW I did not expect this. It froze on me 3 times in the first, say 5 minutes of use! That was not a good first impression.

I went out twice yesterday to test the camera. Once by myself and once on a hike with my kids. It's not an overstatement to say that the camera froze up on me 20-30 times - minimum yesterday! 

That was very disheartening - and concerning. Is anyone else experiencing this? 

I've owned the GoPro 3 years back and still have my Hero 5 - so I've seen the black screen - or frozen screens before - but never on this level. Not even close - this is almost unusable. If I was performing action sports - and to have this mounted somewhere - I could not - in its current state - reply on this camera since I am currently having to open the battery door every few minutes. 

GoPro - please let us know what is going on? 

Am I the only one having this issue? 

Thanks, Jeff. 

GoPro Community Manager

Re: GoPro 9 - black screen - freezing issues

[ New ]

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your HERO9 Black. Freezing is almost always related to either an issue with the camera's firmware or with the SD card being used in the camera.

Best troubleshooting to do is to do a manual update on the firmware using the instructions here and to try another SD card from our list of recommended cards here to see if the issues continue. If those steps don't resolve the issues, our team at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs can help with additional troubleshooting.

Hiker

[ New ]
Ok. Thank you for the quick reply. I’ll try the manual update. I’m using the micro SD card that it came with - but did order a faster one that will be arriving on Monday.

Hopefully once of these options help. Thanks for the help.
GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

You can also try reformatting the card you have using the reformat option in the camera's menu. Note though that doing that will erase anything that's already on the card, so be sure to save anything you want before doing that.

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks. I already reformated the card. 

Question: Would there be any reason to do a manual update to the firmware since it's already running the latest version of the firmware? 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi Jeff,

I am also having freezing issues with my GoPro 9 with the latest update. I am also using the micro sd card that came with it. I found a way to replicate the bug.

Steps:

1 - Record a video in 4K for at least 1-2 minutes

2 - Stop Recording

3 - quickly go to the review screen and start watching the video you just recorded

4 - quickly start recording a new video (straight from the review screen - do not go back to the live view screen)

5 - It should freeze

Do you have a similar issue?

I think the GoPro gets busy rendering the video when you start reviewing it then you start a new recording it messes up with the GoPro memory.

I am just posting this here as I think it could be useful for GoPro to figure it out.

Thanks,

Paulo

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

@jeffnewton - It's possible that the firmware didn't install fully, which could be causing the issues. It can show that you're on the latest version, but if there was an error during the install, you could see problems. Doing a manual update is a very reliable way to get the firmware to install completely, so it's a good step to take during troubleshooting.

Tourist

[ New ]

I did update it manually to 1.21 so it should not be the issue.