Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

GoPro 9 - black screen - freezing issues

[ New ]

Hello, I just received my GoPro Hero 9 two days ago. The image quality is amazing - the audio is SO much better than my Hero 5 but the usability is so disappointing.  

I had heard that there were freezing issues with it from YouTube reviews but WOW I did not expect this. It froze on me 3 times in the first, say 5 minutes of use! That was not a good first impression.

I went out twice yesterday to test the camera. Once by myself and once on a hike with my kids. It's not an overstatement to say that the camera froze up on me 20-30 times - minimum yesterday! 

That was very disheartening - and concerning. Is anyone else experiencing this? 

I've owned the GoPro 3 years back and still have my Hero 5 - so I've seen the black screen - or frozen screens before - but never on this level. Not even close - this is almost unusable. If I was performing action sports - and to have this mounted somewhere - I could not - in its current state - reply on this camera since I am currently having to open the battery door every few minutes. 

GoPro - please let us know what is going on? 

Am I the only one having this issue? 

Thanks, Jeff. 

GoPro Community Manager

Re: GoPro 9 - black screen - freezing issues

[ New ]

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your HERO9 Black. Freezing is almost always related to either an issue with the camera's firmware or with the SD card being used in the camera.

Best troubleshooting to do is to do a manual update on the firmware using the instructions here and to try another SD card from our list of recommended cards here to see if the issues continue. If those steps don't resolve the issues, our team at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs can help with additional troubleshooting.

Hiker

[ New ]
Ok. Thank you for the quick reply. I’ll try the manual update. I’m using the micro SD card that it came with - but did order a faster one that will be arriving on Monday.

Hopefully once of these options help. Thanks for the help.
GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

You can also try reformatting the card you have using the reformat option in the camera's menu. Note though that doing that will erase anything that's already on the card, so be sure to save anything you want before doing that.

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks. I already reformated the card. 

Question: Would there be any reason to do a manual update to the firmware since it's already running the latest version of the firmware? 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi Jeff,

I am also having freezing issues with my GoPro 9 with the latest update. I am also using the micro sd card that came with it. I found a way to replicate the bug.

Steps:

1 - Record a video in 4K for at least 1-2 minutes

2 - Stop Recording

3 - quickly go to the review screen and start watching the video you just recorded

4 - quickly start recording a new video (straight from the review screen - do not go back to the live view screen)

5 - It should freeze

Do you have a similar issue?

I think the GoPro gets busy rendering the video when you start reviewing it then you start a new recording it messes up with the GoPro memory.

I am just posting this here as I think it could be useful for GoPro to figure it out.

Thanks,

Paulo

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

@jeffnewton - It's possible that the firmware didn't install fully, which could be causing the issues. It can show that you're on the latest version, but if there was an error during the install, you could see problems. Doing a manual update is a very reliable way to get the firmware to install completely, so it's a good step to take during troubleshooting.

Tourist

[ New ]

I did update it manually to 1.21 so it should not be the issue.

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

@heroicgorg536 - I did your steps, but my GoPro did not freeze.

Sightseer

[ New ]
Any fixes so far? Just got my hero 9. Freezes constantly, tried 3 different cards all on the approved list. Have to take battery out to fix the issue. Sometimes for a few recording than freezes again, sometimes freezes again instantly. There is a YouTube video showing this, and the fact that this thread exists all on brand new gopros I think this a legitimate issue. Might see if I can exchange mine for another. Very frustrating on a brand new $450 camera.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

If you continue to observe the same after the suggested steps, please let our Support Team know.

You may submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Heads up! Our team is currently working through a volume of contacts, response time may be slightly longer than usual. We appreciate your understanding.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Jeff!!!

I spent yesterday riding trails on my dirtbike and had to stop EVERY 10 MINUTES to unmount my gopro 9 from my helmate and remove the media mount, so i could remove the battery. The camera froze atleast 40 times in 7 hours. SO FRUSTRATING!!!! I just updated it the previous day but they need to figure this out soon with a new update. I will try a different memory card but the one i used was fine in all my other devices. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry to hear about that, @mauithc. Was the update on the camera firmware done manually? Also, which SD card were you using? The information on the brand, type, and capacity will be helpful. When you test again, please format the card in the camera and see if it makes a difference. We hope to hear back from you. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Sorry I haven't replied to this thread recently. Still having major issues with my GoPro freezing up non freakin stop. I had a long conversation via the help chat with someone at GoPro yesterday. We did the manual download of the firmware to the Micro SD card - still nothing changed. 

NOTE since purchasing the camera I have upgraded to the fastest Sandisk Micro SD card so the speed should not be an issue. 

I'm going to give it another day or so - but it's already frozen up multiple times in testing around our home since last night - so I'm currently at the point where I think an exchange for a new camera is the next step. 

And on top of that - the mic on my Hero9 Media Mod that I purchased is no longer connecting/working - even though its showing audio levels - so yay...not fun. 

If anyone has had any luck figuring this out, I'd love to hear it. 

Jeff. 

Hiker

[ New ]
@mariustanya - following up in case you don't see my last update. Thanks.
Hiker

[ New ]

THAT SUCKS!!! Yeah, that was my thought - I'd hate to be doing any extreme sports on this thing where it's mounted - having to reset it all of the time. Sadly, there are probably some people that did an amazing thing that they thought they captured - not knowing that it was frozen.

Sorry to hear that's happening to you. Nothing has worked for me yet - even a manual download of the firmware to the micro sd card - nothing! And now my media mod mic isn't working either. Very frustrating. 

I spoke to them about it and it looks like I'm going to move forward with an exchange for a new one. We'll see. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello,

The whole experiance with the update was very frustrating. First, my android device wouldnt update the camera and froze every time it got to the update screen and dis connected witht he camera at that time. i tried this for over an hour. reinstalling the app, factory reseting camera etc. I have a brand new lg V60 so there is no reason why your product should have such difficulty with android. 

So i tried to update it manually... I couldnt get past the first screen of your manual update webpage. I would enter the camera info and my email and hit next step and the next step button would go gray and nothing would happen!!!

So, i had just about given up at this point and was just ging to use the camera with no update. It had been 2 hours!

My wife decided to try and connnect the camera to her i-phone throught the gopro app and it connected and updated fine?????!!!!

so i finally got past the issues... NOPE.

Every other time i tried to hit record with the camera on it would start the recording but when i tried to stop the recording it wouldnt beep and i would have to remove the battery to reset it. Atleast give us a reset button. to remove the whole camera and lose footage every time it freezes is unaccaptable. My gopro 5 litterly never froze. 

PLEASE UPDATE THIS CAMERA ASAP!!!!!!!!! 

THANKS

Sightseer

[ New ]

Need to do a manual update. Format a card using your computer. Extract the firmware then boot the camera from the card.  Camera is perfect now. Nothing else works. It's the app downloading the update to the camera that is causing all of these problems, just manually update,

Sightseer

[ New ]
Ok. This is outrageous. I cannot believe I paid 600€ for what it supposed to be an amazing camera. Whenever I plug in hdmi cable, GoPro freezes. Media mod just doesn't work with Hero9 like it should. Cannot believe they did not test it. I actually lost a lot of money today because of gopro freezing. I could not make it to work so my livestream was awful. Customer did not want to pay after all...

I hope there will be update soon, like right now, or GoPro people should consider refunding my money!

I am really angry.
GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry to hear about that, @alesu5178. If you have been able to manually update the camera, use a recommended SD card, and connected the camera with the prescribed cable for the webcam functionality and the issue remains, please let our Support team know. They will be able to troubleshoot the issue for you. 

To proceed, please submit a request through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request. 

Should you encounter any issue scheduling a callback or a live chat, please ensure that you are not blocking cookies and have your pop-up blocker disabled. 

If chat does not work, you may submit a callback request. If you get the Captcha error ar any error, try using a different device (computer or mobile phone). Clear cache on your browser, use a different browser or an incognito browser. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

Camera successfully updated via phone app. Should I update it again over SD?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @alesu5178

It will be best to do a manual update.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]
Same here.
GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry to hear about the trouble, @rockypike6088. Have you been able to perform the troubleshooting steps suggested in this thread? How did it go?

Sightseer

[ New ]

Yes! I'm using the MOD and when it freezes I have to remove the battery what a pain in the butt. GOPRO what's the fix?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @greenpeacon

Let our Support Team check on this further.

Please submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Should you encounter any issue scheduling a callback or a live chat, please ensure that you are not blocking cookies and have your pop-up blocker disabled.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Greetings,

This freezing problem is nothing new. I had this issue with my GoPro 7 Black. They never fixed the problem. I almost bought the GoPro 9 but will not untiI see that this issue is fixed. I don't want to have to dance around to fix something that should not be happening. Having to remove the window mount, get it out of the case, remove and then reinstall battery every time....not worth it!!!!

Sightseer

[ New ]
Yes. This is not acceptable at all.

Camera is to expensive. They should return our money.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @goddi1 and @alesu5178. A firmware has been released to resolve the freezing issue on the HERO7 Black. If you have already updated to the latest version and are using the recommended card and the issue persists, let our Support team know so they can help you further. Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

I got mine Hero 9 manually updated which improves the screen responsiveness and may be improved freezing issues but still its not fixed completely. Earlier freeze used to happen while browing but now its happening even while recording.

I am a naive gopro user and hardly use it 30 min on daily basis but have to deal with atleast freezing issue twice. Now when I google, I see internet is flooded about user experience with similar issues with every gopro version.

Wondering what makes it so hard to fix it, I love my GoPro and want to keep it that way, dealing with such unreliability might trigger me to look for alternative products.

BTW I am using the memory card that came with the go pro bundle. 

Hiker

[ New ]

I tried all possible options including factory reset but still I see Hero 9 pretty much unstable and unreliable, consider the fact that so many people have this problem (with every version of GoPro), it does not look like one defective GoPro. Happy to make video and upload showing freezing issue for your study, please fix it through firmware.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @vivekas8

Let our Support Team check on this further.

Please reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]
@aragon1006, thanks for the suggestion.

I got the latest firmware installed manually with help of support team but still its unreliable, everyday just in use of 30min, I see it freezing atleast once.

I am wondering whats so hard about getting rid of freezing issue in first place itself especially when similar product from other company works like a charm. If I look youtube, every single review irrespective of GoPro version, they all mention the freezing issue.

I don't need a fancy camera but a reliable camera which works every single time like any other electronic device. I will probably wait for one more firmware update but if it still have the issue, I will have no choice than returning it.
Tourist

[ New ]

the same here. i already manually update (1.5) and changed sd card twice.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @vivekas8 and @jgp244. It would be best to continue working with our Support team to ensure that the issue is resolved completely. When you contact the team back you may use the same case number for reference. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

I have had the same issue with GoPro 9 Black on a recent dive trip.  Purchased on 10th December 2020.   Latest firmware Sandisk Extreme Pro card (formated in GoPro)  GoPro failed on 14 out of 19 dives.  GoPro will not manually install latest firmware as "latest firmware installed" pops up.

I had at first thought the issue was due to faulty dive housing, but even had issues at depths of less than 15m.   Several times on surfacing the GoPro was making a loud buzzing noise and extremely hot despite being under the water for 60 minutes.  The only solution in all the events was to remove the battery.  

Clearly a major fault somewhere that GoPro are well aware of and still selling faulty units, not great.

The two GoPro 7 Black worked without issue and to some extent saved the trip.

Tourist

[ New ]

I have the same problem. Received the camera yesterday and the gopro freezes constantly. It freezes every time I connect it to the usb to charge, and also completely randomly when moving around the menus. After it froze yesterday after charging i reset it and thought it was off. When I woke up it actually was frozen agian and the battery was down to 35%. There was a constant red light glowing, screen was black. I have updated firmware manually, but nothing changed. Tried several different sd cards and both batteries that came with the camera, but still the same. This unit is so unstable there is no point in taking it out for shooting. I never had any issues with previous gopros. I would be thankful if support could contact me about how to resolve this, or to provide me with a replacement.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @robkar62 @sunnycave1353

Were you able to run the update manually? https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero9-black

You may also check Camera Freezes Up

If it's still the same, please reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

I am having the same problems.  Sometimes it just stops recording and the video you had been recording is lost then too when it stops on its own.  Today was the first time the screen froze during the recording.   I have had it more than 30 days and cannot return it either.  The memory card came with the camera.  It has the latest firmware up date right when I got it back on NOV 26th was up dated.   Like you said you cannot trust the camera to record properly the way it is.

Fred

Hiker

[ New ]

I tried reformating the card too It did not work. It Is a u-3 card that came with the camera.

Fred

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @peppyhike54641

The best path forward is to reach out to Support to have this checked further.

You may submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi all,

looks like many people face the same issue !!!

Overheating, freezing screen, stop recording...etc....etc... Only remove the battery does help. We all use either the SD card from the bundle or certified SD cards. We all do the manually update, factory reset, etc...etc.. We all follow the instructions provided to ensure the firmware is installed correctly via SD card and use the latest update from mid December.

I now have the 2nd GoPro and guess what ? I have the same issue like the 1st one + now it also sometimes says: Please use original battery. And yes, I use the batteries that came in the bundle. I use everthing from the bundle and have the same issues + one more. Even purchased another SD card (certified of course) and let SanDisk Support verify that the SD card is original.

@GoPro Team: What is going on ? We spend a hell of a money to get a high end product and what we got ?!

I am tired of spending time in the support chat and on the phone without any solution for this. When will GoPro admit that there is something wrong and start either replacing all cameras with a "second edition" or finally able to fix it via FW update ?

Frustrating

Hiker

[ New ]

Same issues here, experienced freezes with both screen on (playing back a video) or black screen (recording, red LED on)

Original battery and certified SD Card (reformated), latest firwmare installed, and so on.

I'm TIRED of having this exact same issue with every gopro I purchase, and I'm wondering why I'm even still buying them.

HD, 3, 3+, 5, 7 and now 9... ALL OF THEM had reliability issues. At least now you can open the door and remove the battery more easily, maybe that's the main reason for the design changes, so that you can unfreeze them more easily ??

I can only post this message to add myself to the list of disappointed customers, hoping for a good alternative to stop buying gopro's once and for all.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hero 9 really pissing me off, wasted so much time trying to get it to work.

I am not able to do a manual update or update from the APP either.  I have version 1.50.00  

I have screen freezing, recording stops or locks up completely with a corrupted file.  Not able to recover the video that it was recording.

I can usually get 3 recording of 3 minutes or less before problems start.  Remove battery to unfreeze the camera.  I have even reformated the SD card that cam with the camera I got back in Nov. 26th.   Only wish i had used the camera more within the 30 days I had it so I could return it for my money back.   I probably will have to go back to using my hero 7 much more reliable than this hunk of junk.

Fred

Hiker

[ New ]

@peppyhike54641 wifi connection is terrible gopro9 fails to connect with the app.

I was able to update it manually with the 1.22 firmware shared in other threads, in order to fix the "half screen shading" issue, will see in the coming days if it works.

Regarding freezes I can only hope that it will get better with the next firwmare updates, but based on experience, my hopes are pretty low...

Hiker

[ New ]

No able to manually update.  The button I click on the page for updating turns light in color but nothing happens.  I have the go pro connected to the computer too.

Fred

Hiker

[ New ]

Fred, get the 1.21 or 1.22 firmware zip file shared here : https://www.goproforums.com/threads/lets-note-all-the-gopro-hero-9-black-bugs-and-issues-here.85058/

Then extract to your sd card (it has to be a folder named "UPDATE") and restart your camera, it will manually update.

At least it worked for me, my camera is now running 1.22 (it will probably not fix anything in terms of freezes, but I will see later if the 'shading' issue is indeed gone) 

Tourist

[ New ]

I too have the same issue as a lot of other customers, screen freezing Hero 9. Its got that bad its not funny anymore plus a pain to have to keep removing the Battery.

Ive had Hero 3 & 5 with no problems, you would think things would improve not go backwards.

I'm so disapointed at the moment with this purchase, so I'm hoping GoPro come up with a fix soon.

Hiker

[ New ]

FYI, I reached out to customer service (mainly for my other issues, screen fading, auto power off with 20% left on battery) and they are making me return the camera for an exchange.

Regarding freezes, the guy on the phone told me it has to be related to the card (even though it's a certified one which worked without issues in my gopro 7) and that I have to talk directly to sandisk for this (even if the card was included in the package when ordering the gopro).

I'm absolutely not convinced by this explanation, but I'm sharing here anyway.

We'll see if the new gopro stops freezing up...

Hiker

[ New ]

Really sad mine will freeze up after 3 short 3 minute videos in only 1080 .

I own hero 4, 5 , 7 much more reliable.