Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro 9 black freezing

[ New ]

Since a few months i'm using GoPro 9.  I would like to say that I am very satisfied with the GoPro, but unfortunately that is not the case. Very regularly the GoPro gets stuck/freezes. The display on the back turns black (not the black you se when the camara's off, a litlle lighter) and the camara does not react any more on the 2 buttons on the outside. The only way to re-start the camara is to briefly remove the battery and turn on the camara again. The display on the back is also regularly split in two. Part of the top is then displayed at the bottom. As if the screen is shifting upwards and the part that is no longer visible at the top becomes visible at the bottom.

Are these common issues of the GoPro 9 or only specific to my device and has it to be exchanged for a new device. The newest software is installed on the camara and I'm using the SD card that came with the order. Actually I did not expect such problems for such device. I was also unpleasantly surprised that the gauges functionallity is no longer supported in the windows version of gopro quick. that was just one of the reasons I bought a gopro. Is a solution being worked on? Could you pls advise what's next. I'd like to be a happy and proud owner of a gopro. Thank you in advance for a good solution. Regards, Bas Brauer (the Netherlands)

Backpacker

Re: GoPro 9 black freezing

[ New ]

Sounds like you should exchange your GoPro, your display shouldn't be split at all, nor should it be crashing as much.

As for Quik, that hasn't been updated in nearly 3 years and it's been discontinued and unsupported for at least a year now.  The last camera it fully supported was the GoPro Hero 7.  It will not support the GoPro Hero 8, it will not support the GoPro Hero 9.  You need to use other software if you want to add gauges.  Personally I use the below and I find it excellent:

GoPro Telemetry Overlay 

Tourist

[ New ]

thanks for your reply. I will contact support for warranty. Does this tool run smoothly when using HEVC (H.365) video format? It's another investment for a consumer who is not expecting that he should buy software to make use of the gopro 9 features. 

Backpacker

[ New ]

HEVC is H.265

The Telemetry extractor seems to work just fine and I've had no issues with it.  You can always contact the author for more detail (his email is at the bottom of the tools page).