Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro 9 Hindsight Stops working...

[ New ]

Problem statement.  After a period of time the Hind site buffer is no longer working and pressing capture will result in the recording of images only after the capture button was pressed and none before.

Hi  I am a biker and i tend to do long rides.  I record mainly for safety.  because of the length of the rides i had to buy a housing with a USB lead on it, that i can plug a larger battery into.

Again because of the length of rides it became a hassle having to take the camera out of housing, put battery in then transfer to cloud etc.

So i tried the hind site feature to try and reduce the amount of data that I need to transfer to the cloud.  I have set the hindsite feature to on and the camera to never turn off - otherwise the camera would turn off during the ride.  When i switch on i notice the counter move to 15s, the pre-record buffer i assume.  At this point if I hit record, I get the buffered 15s and everything after – great, works fine.  I then can stop the recording, the buffer resets and then off i go on a ride, if i hit the capture button after about half an hour i get no pre record buffer.  I only get a recording from the moment I press the capture button.  Therefore making hind site unusable for me.

Am I setting this wrong?  Or is this a bug?

GoPro

Re: GoPro 9 Hindsight Stops working...

[ New ]

Hello, @johnbo851. This is intended and the goal to save battery life. When the camera is idle for 15 minutes, the buffer pauses. This will not happen if there is any interaction with the camera in that 15 minutes (touch screen, press button..etc). When the paused state is reached, simply touching the screen will restart the buffer.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi

But i have made the conscious effort to change it to never switch off.  I am using an external battery so loss of battery life is not an issue.

What is an issue is having to remember to reach up to my helmet mount and touch the screen every 15 minutes., or else an important incident will not get recorded.  How do i know thatmy touch was accpeted, there is no beep, not tha i anm heer the beep all the time and if I am off road, taking my hand of the bars will be dangerous at times.  Does this mean i have to stop my ride now?

Can you make a change please?

Either or both: -

1: If someone sets never switch off, any related features also set to never switch off

2: An option to change the buffer time switch off time limit to ‘never switch off buffer’

Otherwise what is the point of having a never switch of option, or the buffering feature.  I appreciate that you are constricted by the battery size.  But I am not constricted to battery life on my rides, or runs ( i uses a rmeoet power pack) – your GoPro is now starting to restrict me though.  It does not make sense to stop other features from working if I have made the decision to select ‘never switch off’.

Hoping you can resolve please, as it means that I now have to go back to full time recording 2 hr plus rides and all the hassle with swapping the unit out of the housing, putting a battery in (yes because you won’t let me upload without putting a battery in either), then uploading etc etc for what amounts to very large files.

At the moment it feels that GoPro has made life more difficult for me, not easier nor fun. When I bought it I thought I all I would need to do was make sure it had charge, and was clipped securely I was expecting to just get up and go and not to have to worry about these things.

How wrong was I.

John

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @johnb0851

We are continuously working on improving the experience of our users.
This has been shared with the team in charge.

Please continue checking our website for updates.

Thanks!

Ej

Nomad

[ New ]
Ooo, this is bad. Bad, This is exactly the same issue I am having and I thought it was a bug and funny enough im a cyclist too and I use it EXACTLY for that same reason/ Right now as we speak, I am testing at what point would the hindsight not work. and then i came across this post. TBH, I wish the admins will look at my LIST of BUGS features and reply because I also brought that issue up, but then again. I just did it so maybe they didn't have time just yet..

BUT anyways, no thats BAD. please remove that 15minute buffer
Nomad

[ New ]
PLease this is exactly the same issue I am experiencing, and currently I was actually trying to recreate the issue, thinking it was an issue. But now its intended?? No that sbad, please please for the love of god, let us decide that, have an option please pleaase before they release the Nov update