Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

GoPro 9 Blocks and doesn't turn on

[ New ]

I shared this issue already here and didn't get a proper explanation regarding this issue and from what I can see GoPro doesn't take any responsibility in solving this issue and continues to happen after following all community advice like to change SD card to the one recommended by Gopro and format it and guess what?! The issue persists.
So I'm going to repeat the issue....
I was filming while scuba diving with a GoPro housing using only the quick-start button to record short videos, no problem whatsoever at the beginning but after a while when I started it back with the quick-start button it didn't work at all. I tried the normal start button and nothing, completely useless.
Back on land, after an hour or so I tried again without removing the battery and worked perfectly. This makes me wonder if have anything to do with the fact that this GoPro 9 overheats and there's a hardware issue with this camera and GoPro 8 as well because I talked with several people and a lot of them shared the exact same issue.

GoPro

Re: GoPro 9 Blocks and doesn't turn on

[ New ]

Hello @jbochecha. We'd like to gather a few more details to further look into this. What version is the camera on? Also, is this only observed when used at a certain depth?

By any chance, do you observe the same results when using the camera with the housing but not underwater?

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi @aenriquez 
It's a Gopro 9 Black

No, the depth is not certain when it happens. 
And only happens underwater because is where I mainly use the camera for several shoots and for longer time videos. 

Backpacker

[ New ]

I've heard that repeated use of the Quick Capture button causes camera freezes.  Rather than remove the battery though, just hold down the side mode button for 10 seconds to reboot the camera.  You can then continue to shoot as normal.

Hiker

[ New ]

@irishmanpdx That didn't work either and believe me... I tried everything pressing for a couple of seconds the power on button or both buttons at the same time... and nothing still not working.

Backpacker

[ New ]

Like I said, this seems to be a problem with repeated use of the quick capture button, it will work a few times, but after a while, it will cause the camera to lock up and become unresponsive.  If the camera won't reboot after holding down the side mode button for 10 seconds, then unfortunately battery removal seems to be the only way to fix the issue.

The last I heard, GoPro are working on another firmware release, but I'm not sure if this issue was being addressed in the release.  The date of said release is unknown "if" it even happens (the further into the year it gets, the less likely firmware updates are as resources are being used elsewhere).

Are there any other symptoms when this lock up happens?  Does the screen freeze (no display) etc?  I only ask as I've been trying to repeat the issue with my own Hero 9 and it hasn't happened.  I'm trying again today and I'm just wondering if there's anything else I need to look for, if length of recordings play an issue etc.  If I find a workaround to the freezing issue I will post it here so you can try it.

One other thing that I also know causes known lock up issues 1

1:  Not locking out the rear screen when in water.  The water causes the touchscreen to respond as if it's having multiple touches.  This causes the camera to freeze or behave erratically.  

2:  The dive case.  There were reports that the pressure on the buttons and the rear screen when diving at a depth would cause camera lockups.  Not sure if locking the rear screen would help with this issue, but could be worth a try.  

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi @irishmanpdx thanks for the message.
Well I end up contacting customer support and they decided to replace my Gopro 9, so I'm in that process.
I always use the housing so locking the screen doesn't make much difference to the screen behaviour because there's no contact with water. The same happens to the depth, this Gopro housing can go to 60 mts depth and I checked with my dive computer and when this happens normally the dives didn't go further than 17 mts. So my theory is the overheat, especially inside a housing where's no ventilation.

Backpacker

[ New ]

Hopefully the replacement camera will work out, please post here if the issue happens with your replacement.

If it helps, there are a few things that will cause or increase the likelyhood of overheating and camera freezing so you can keep it in mind if your new camera has the same issue.

1:  Incorrect SD card (cards that are too slow result in overheating as the camera basically works harder to write data to them).

2:  Incorrectly formatted SD cards.  Cards need to be formatted in the camera before use.  If they are not, then they aren't using the optimal format and block size for writing video and data, this results in the cards performing slower which results in the camera working harder which results in overheating.

3:  SD card corruption.  Even if you're using the right card, right format etc, you can still have a loss of footage or a freeze.  Everytime that this happens it creates a corrupt section on your SD card. These lead to camera's freezing or loss of footage.  The more your camera freezes, the more corrupt the SD card becomes and the more your camera will lock up or shut down.  It's a circular loop that just gets worse and worse.  Unfortunately formatting the card in your camera will not fix these corrupt sections as the camera performs a "Quick" format only.  To repair the SD card fully, you need to perform a "full format" of the card in a PC or laptop.  This can take anywhere from 15 mins to 30 mins depending on the card size.  After the full format is completed, then the card must be formatted in the camera to ensure it's using the optimal block size and format.  If you have any data on the card that you need, back it up before you perform the full format as during the format, all data on the card will be erased.

Sorry for the long winded explination, but just want to ensure that you don't have a repeat of the issue with your replacement camera.  It is possible that your camera is simply overheating in the water, but I'm not sure it's likely.  The water should provide radiant cooling for your device, however it will depend on your settings.  Recording in 4K or 5K will add more strain on the camera, as will using hypersmooth (although not sure that's needed underwater), so you can always try expirimenting with settings to see if one settings works better than the other and if there's certain settings you can disable.

I'll say this though, after my repeated tests of using "quick capture" today, my camera did not lock up BUT I did get an SD card error twice.  So to get rid of this, I had to perform step 3 above.  This happened after about the 5th time I started the camera using Quick Capture.  This was using a 256GB Samsung Evo card which hasn't given me issues before.  However when I usually read about lockups or card failures, I would honestly say about 99% of posters are using the sandisk card that came with their camera.  So it may be worth investing in a different brand of card.

Good luck with your replacement and post back on this thread if you have any further issues.

Hiker

[ New ]

@irishmanpdx Yes, The SD card came with the camera and I formated it both on my Mac and after in the GoPro, so I believe is more than formatted. The other explanation is still a hardware or software issue because you shouldn't compromise the full usability of the device depending on the situation you are in, unless is an atypical environment like on top of a volcano eruption or in an ace cold Antarctica. If you build a camera for action sports, including underwater sports and you sell an accessory in your store that doesn't compromise the device usability until 60 mts depth... you should stick with it and I shouldn't be limited to less than 4K or 5K or using hypersmooth because it overheats and the camera freezes. I have a degree in Industrial Design and this is a big fail in terms of user testing and usability.
I understand the position in the market regarding competitors but trying to launch a camera every year sometimes you compromise these big issues of usability that at the end have a big overturn in sellings regarding these complainings.

Anyway, I still believe Gopro is great and is still the leader in the market but these issues matter a lot in the next acquisition...

Backpacker

[ New ]

I agree with your statements and I'm not trying to defend GoPro, I'm just trying to find a solution to get the best out of a product that has issues.  Usually I don't buy the "odd" numbered GoPro's for this very reason.  I find the "odd number" is usually their prototype and their follow up "even" numbered GoPro is the model that actually has all the bugs and hardware flaws worked out.  

I think the Hero 9 suffers the most as this was something that was in the process of being designed when Covid shut everything down.  So hardware, software, firmware depts didn't get to work as efficiently as they should have.  As a result the camera was rushed out to meet a release deadline with many issues requiring many firmware updates.  My fear is that the camera requires so many firmware updates that this is also going to affect the next model as resources are not focusing on the upcoming model, but fixing issues with the current model.

I also think that after so many years, they need to upgrade the image processor that was introduced in the Hero 6.  They just keep overclocking it to try and get more performance from the camera and overclocking will always lead to overheating and performance issues.

The reason I recommend disabling hypersmooth underwater is simply because I'm not sure if it's needed.  Above water, the handheld camera will shake, be affected by jarring footsteps, but underwater I would assume things would be smoother since technically the camera is in a fluid suspension and the person using it is also not being subjected to the same types of movement as on land.  Then again, I wouldn't know since I have the swimming ability of a lead brick.  If there's ever a 500 meter free style drown, I'm your man, otherwise I stick to land where I can.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how your replacement camera works out.  So please post the results here if you can.

Hiker

[ New ]

@irishmanpdx I totally agree with everything you say, although the hypersmooth feature underwater was exactly the reason why I upgraded from GoPro 7 to 9 which is extremely important in the kind of dive I normally do as a cave diver and passing through small restrictions makes a huge difference in the results. But yes, fingers crossed and hoping this issue will be solved in the replaced one.

Backpacker

[ New ]

Someone else posted a very similar issue to yours.  Camera locking up underwater and holding down the side mode button wouldn't reset the camera.  They found that the mode button on the dive case just wasn't making sufficiant contact with the mode button on the camera. They narrowed the problem down to the underwater case being defective and a little to large.   As a result, they wedged some plastic in one side of the case to force the camera over a slight bit.  After they did that, resetting the camera via the mode button worked while underwater.

Yes, bad design (and unknown if they were using an official GoPro case), but again, a fix that may work should your replacement camera have the same issues.

One more thing to add (and then I'll shut up for good I swear), I've used my own Hero 9 for extended periods of time for all sorts of uses.  Flying, Cooking, Driving, Photography, Nightlapse and haven't had an overheating issue.  So I'm hoping that points to the fact that a replacement camera may solve the issue and maybe you just got a camera from a "bad batch".  

Good luck!

Hiker

[ New ]

@irishmanpdx :D
Well talking about this issue with other divers I actually learned it's an oddly common issue since GoPro 8 and I'm sure in those cases the issues is not in the housing because it works perfectly fine for a while until it doesn't and on land, after an hour or so, without even taking out the camera from the housing works perfectly fine. 
Anyway, thanks for your help and input!!

Backpacker

[ New ]

You're making a liar out of me because every time I say "this is the  last thing I'll say" you bring up something else that I need to mention!  :)

I first heard of freezing issues caused by water with the Hero 7 and saw it repeated with the Hero 8.

Saw a video where someone put their Hero 8 in the shower, recording video and turned on the shower.  Within a few seconds of the water hitting the rear screen, the camera would lock up and freeze.  The water droplets were being read as multiple finger inputs on the touchscreen and it was obviously too much for the camera to handle and it locked up.  Hence the advice about locking out the rear screen...

With the Hero 9 and being in a dive case, yes, I've seen the more recent posts about that.  3 today in fact (including your own).  I'm guessing the weather is getting warmer and allowing for more diving/swimming?  Most of the previous cases I read with the GP9 and diving where either the buttons on the divecase not being able to withstand the waterpressure and causing random inputs.  Or the pressing from the foam pads on the back of the case pressing the screen and causing the same lockups as the Hero 8 in the shower.  In one case the rear LCD cracked from the pressure of those foam pads.  

So whereas overheating could still be an issue for sure, just wondering if the case itself could be causing the problem too with multiple inputs.  

Ok, no seriously, this time I'm out of here for good!

Thank you for putting up with my ramblings, but I'm interested in diagnosing the problem and hopefully putting out a solution for people that they can use.  So if you hear anything or if the replacement works, let me know!

Thank you!

Tourist

[ New ]

I have the same problem,

It also happens to me without a housing, I have used it on a bike and after making many videos with the quick record button it remains blocked until I remove the battery, then I can continue recording, but diving you cannot remove the battery. I'll talk to technical support to see if they give me a solution.