Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker
Accepted Solution

GoPro 8 stops recording on its own

I was recording a lecture and my new gopro8 stopped recording after about 60 minutes without my command to stop. I had it connected to a powerpack so battery was not an issue. I also have a 256Gb data card so have plenty of space. I also had the turn off setting set to never.

Any idea why?

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: GoPro 8 stops recording on its own

Are you referring to me? I was not saying that you or your situation was silly. DrDemento has a long history on this site for several years making similar comments. That's fine, to each their own, but he seems incapable of doing so without directly quoting, even when his post is directly following his own. That practice is what I was calling silly. Not only is it unnecessary, it makes reading these comments and the number of pages much longer than it needs to be.

As far as your test, be sure to have the battery removed. Try to have open airflow around the camera. Placing it on something cool might help as well. Most importantly, be sure to do a FULL format of the car in your computer first. The SD card association recommends using the tool on this site https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/
Be sure to choose the complete overwrite. Once done, format again in the camera. You may share want to test with a second card if the first test doesn't go well. Overheating is often caused by the card (along with what has been previously mentioned).

Good luck with your test. If it doesn't go well, you might want to try a non-action camera, or at least one that isn't sealed in a waterproof case. Unfortunately, most DSLR and mirrorless cameras will also overheat after prolonged continuous recording, but camcorders tend to do well.

Turn off all the features (GPS, Voice commands, Connections < very important, stabilization < no need if the camera isn't moving), remove the battery, and record in 1080p/30fps. Let us know how it goes.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Tourist

If it is like on Hero 7 it can be the camera too much warm after one hor filming in 4K without wind/fresh air (it is ok when the camera is outside with fresh air removing the warm air)

If it is the case, you can do a test waiting the camera to stop (waiting 5 or ten minutes before the camera is stopping) and watch carefully the front screen: you will probably see a symbol showing the emergency stop because of the high temperature + a sound before stopping.

if it stopped before you had time to have look, just restart the camera in recording mode again and put your finger on the front of the camera to estimate the temperature. Most probably it will be very hot i guess. (well note that i don't have hero 8 but only the 7, but i guess the problem is the same...)

Regards,

Denis

Hiker

Thank you. I will try your suggestion. 

Hiker

I noticed my settings were 1080p @120 fps. If I reduce this to 1080 p @ 30 fps, with this make a difference?

Explorer

Yes, 1080p/30fps should run cooler. The camera will still get warm, but much less likely to overheat than when using high resolution and/or frame rates. Also, remove the battery when using an external power source.
Hiker

Ok, thanks for the tips! I'll let you know how it goes next time I'm recording a talk.

Adventurer

the good thing about a gopro is they save the files, did htat happen or you have to repeat the talk>

Hiker

Unfortunately the camera stopped recording about half way through. Some of the files were saved but not having the whole session means I can't use any of the session.