Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Explorer

Re: GoPro 8 stops recording on its own

Are you referring to me? I was not saying that you or your situation was silly. DrDemento has a long history on this site for several years making similar comments. That's fine, to each their own, but he seems incapable of doing so without directly quoting, even when his post is directly following his own. That practice is what I was calling silly. Not only is it unnecessary, it makes reading these comments and the number of pages much longer than it needs to be.

As far as your test, be sure to have the battery removed. Try to have open airflow around the camera. Placing it on something cool might help as well. Most importantly, be sure to do a FULL format of the car in your computer first. The SD card association recommends using the tool on this site https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/
Be sure to choose the complete overwrite. Once done, format again in the camera. You may share want to test with a second card if the first test doesn't go well. Overheating is often caused by the card (along with what has been previously mentioned).

Good luck with your test. If it doesn't go well, you might want to try a non-action camera, or at least one that isn't sealed in a waterproof case. Unfortunately, most DSLR and mirrorless cameras will also overheat after prolonged continuous recording, but camcorders tend to do well.

Turn off all the features (GPS, Voice commands, Connections < very important, stabilization < no need if the camera isn't moving), remove the battery, and record in 1080p/30fps. Let us know how it goes.
Hiker

I'm just new to the forum but I can understand different quirks.

Just tried your recommendations and it is working well. Took out the battery and removed the door - unit running still getitng warm but much cooler and no problem recording for much longer (never overheated even after a few hours of recording). Even though the unit was plugged into power, it was the battery that was quite hot and preventing the camera from running cooler.

Thanks for your help,

SP

Adventurer

I wonder how much of it is caused  BY The Chip Of The Battery? (Smiles)

Highlighted
Hiker

@danielr15 actually my experience with Hero 8 comes from my counterparts back in Pittsburgh who (like me with the Hero 5, 6, and then finally 7) have had the same happen with theirs.  They of course returned them and got free of the problem.  Why do you suppose these cameas can't stand the heat and why would they be designed not to be able to withstand the heat?  Other camera makers cameras get hot (like the Osmo Action) and yet keep running.  Any thoughts?

Explorer

@easyroller54
Awesome, glad to hear that it's working out for you.

@drdimento
Oh, geez. back to the friends in Pittsburgh. Seriously, do you have any idea how many times you've told us about your "friends in Pittsburgh" or how you are a professional that needs to use GoPro cameras for your professional shoots because your clients need to see that you use brand name cameras. Umm, and by the way, Osmo Action not only has been reported to overheat and shut down, but to make things worse, people have reported that it just stops working altogether, never to turn on again. LOL, great example.
Hiker

@danielr15 sorry you feel so threatened by my pittsburgh people. We worked together as a team producing tv programs and videos, helping cover each other’s butts when things went wrong. Our little consortium helped make each other reliable when we might not be otherwise. Relative to name products, when one produces for broadcast, they specify what brand or format they want from you and those standards determine if you’re accepted for pittsburgh and NY ad agencies. So, yeah what my PGH buddies do are important to me. Lastly, yes on the Osmo overheat and all the references I could find that were meaningful to buys were dated 3 years back which must have meant “fixed” something I don’t find with my 7. Lastly, you know my history and thus far from the start the Osmo has not only been cheaper but has all the features of the H8 and is how much older. Jealousy is just what it is. I’m thankful that what you have works for you and I wished it was for me ... cuz I need action cameras for the newest music videos. DJI May sponsor our latest project that will go national. We are negotiating now for January.
Explorer

Good for you, and I mean that. Osmo Action hasn't even been out for a year, much less than three, and no, it does not have all the features of the HERO7 Black. It's not a terrible camera if you don't mind only having over cropped stabilization in limited resolution/frame rates and FOV, inferior image quality and exposure balance, and less features. I'm really not hating on DJI, even if they have documented cases of stealing customer's money and competitor's intellectual property. The Osmo Action works fine for plenty of people, so if it works for you, great.
Hiker

@danielr15 sorry you have such a low opinion of the Osmo Action.  Fortunately, the reviewers and users don't agree.  The "name" revierers see the stabalization (even cropped a little more than average) as the best they've seen in an action camera and actually make recommendation that you don't need a gimbal . . I agree.  Moreover, the colors are rich and the image amazing at 100 mbps.  Out of of the box the thing worked and activated itself with easy to use wireless technology, unlike the wired I had to do with all my GoPro's, let alone the antiquated wired communications and image transfers.  My new GoPro Hero 7 continues to act squirrely, as did the one that was declared "defunct" by GoPro technical service, when they agreed to replace it.  I'm thrilled to have a camera and converge with friends of mine in (I know you hate to hear this) Pittsburgh, and trade success stories since making the switch.  I bet it's that you don't like the Steelers or Penguins.  No fear, neither do I.

BTW, the overheating I was referring to was the beta testing. dating back to 2015.  Hasselblad (the maker of the Osmo Action) began testing of the camera early on when they decided to partner with DJI in camera technology for DJI's drones.  It's hard to beat a name like Hasselblad and I and 4 pro producers all agree; while, not one of us had a successful run of GP's.  I just wished I'd listened to them up front.

Conclusion, when thinking hobby, sports, short shots, GoPro for the fun of it - when dependable professionalism is on the line, Osmo Action.  It was that line that led the response from DJI to consider the January NY project with newest Mavic Pro 2, Osmo Actions, and Osmo Pocket (this latter serves as an amazing hand-hold device with adapter wherein the "on board" battery for the Pocket serves as an additional power source for the Action, virtually shooting till the card is full, and the mounting adapter is readily available.  DJI even endorses and often supports 3rd party hardware to use with their cameras and mod frames.

If you want a 25% off on a new GPH7, I can help you with that.  I think the coupon is useable on accessories also.  It was given to me by GP for all I've been through and can be used by my friends and I consider you a friend @danielr15  as it was you that helped me make the decision to contact support with my claim on the GPH7 that ultimately got replaced; thank you. :-)