Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: GoPro 8 Black on external power

That I 1000% agree on Big-Time, I donot want to dish another $80.0 out and failure   on the past two gopos losig the Audio imput. so I'll    stick wit hteh will power to P A S S !

Highlighted
Tourist

@gregb886 wrote:

I'm planning to replace my older GoPro 4 with the new 8 Black but I need to be abolutely sure I can use it in my car running from a USB power supply from the car or from a power bank.

Questions:

1.  Does the GoPro battery need to be in the camera while it is running from external power?  if it does, what keeps the battery in place while the battery cover is open?  Is it retained by clicking into place?

2.  Is the battery cover removable by unclipping it from the camera?

3.  If the camera is running on external power with the battery in, will Hypersmooth 2 work OK?

4.  If the camera is running on external power with NO battery in, will Hypersmooth 2 work OK?

5.  Does using the battery on external power disable any of the camera functions, resolutions, frame rates, menu options etc.?

Thank you everyone for the feedback.

I went ahead and bought an 8 & used it in my rally car running off power from the car through a USB socket.  It worked fine.

I used race tape & some small felt blocks to retain the battery.  I'll look into the Ulanzi battery door for the future now I know the camera works OK on external power.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hello,

I bought the Hero8 Black now and did my very first tests.

About filming into a car with external battery (10 000mAh), i did a test and in 4K 60fps with hight bitrates and hypersmooth2.0 high then the camera stopped after 45 minutes because the camera is too warm... (exactly like the Hero 7 did)

I will try later in paragliding if the frozen problems are the same than with the Hero 7 which i got many problems with.

Then i will decide if i keep this camera or not...

Regards,

Denis

Highlighted
Adventurer

my test was  by a window,  not Summer temps, or the Sun beating down on it,  the sd card was filled, still ran, as I stopped the test, I had another 30 minutes left.  I ran 1/2 the test on 4K30 HYpersmooth on, then All out, camera  ATP.   not all  are with issues or  if this was a issue, Imagine the many of thousands of camera's out there today?

I just wonder why my two do not freeze? guess  Iam that select few (WINK)

Fish

Highlighted
Tourist

I guess filming inside the car with closed windows (without fresh air) make problems.

When using fresh air (when flying with paraglider), the Hero 7 was freezing but not sure it was a temperature issue.

I will see next time i fly, but i already know that without fresh air there is the same problem with temperature.

Cheers,

Denis

Highlighted
Backpacker

@spiryrange63110 wrote:

I guess filming inside the car with closed windows (without fresh air) make problems.

with h7 I had this problem in the car, I always sacrificed an air vent to blow cold on the camera (and on my iPhone as well).

since h8, I haven't noticed this problem.

my thoughts:

• could be an internal improvement of the temperature management
  • the new design - the metal foldable mount ears, in contact with the camera body, acts as a radiator
  • on H7 the hottest part was hot under the lens
  • on H8 I feel the mounting ears are the hottest.

today I skate with the camera, though not filming continuously.

around -3 Celsius, but no problem.  

just me,

robert

Highlighted
Tourist

@spiryrange63110 wrote:

Hello,

I bought the Hero8 Black now and did my very first tests.

About filming into a car with external battery (10 000mAh), i did a test and in 4K 60fps with hight bitrates and hypersmooth2.0 high then the camera stopped after 45 minutes because the camera is too warm... (exactly like the Hero 7 did)

I will try later in paragliding if the frozen problems are the same than with the Hero 7 which i got many problems with.

Then i will decide if i keep this camera or not...

Regards,

Denis

Thanks, Denis.

I had the same experience in 4k 60fps.  It gets hot & freezes.  I had to take the battery out to get it started again.

My camera is mounted on the windscreen in a closed car so it does get sun & no airflow but I had the aircon so it wasn't that hot in the car.

Disappointing that the product is that limited.

I ran it next day in the same conditions in 4k 30fps & it worked fine.

Highlighted
Nomad

@fishycomics wrote:

Ulanzi maes a battery door  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0813CXVV1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And excellent question if hte USb port charger is rated higher then 1.5A it should work fine.

@fishycomics Have you had any problems getting your Ulanzi side door? I ordered direct from Ulanzi on 11/23/19 and never received it. It shipped but the last tracking update was on 12/6/19 when it left China. I contacted Ulanzi and they refuse to refund. I'm bummed.