Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro 8 Black on external power

[ New ]

I'm planning to replace my older GoPro 4 with the new 8 Black but I need to be abolutely sure I can use it in my car running from a USB power supply from the car or from a power bank.

Questions:

1.  Does the GoPro battery need to be in the camera while it is running from external power?  if it does, what keeps the battery in place while the battery cover is open?  Is it retained by clicking into place?

2.  Is the battery cover removable by unclipping it from the camera?

3.  If the camera is running on external power with the battery in, will Hypersmooth 2 work OK?

4.  If the camera is running on external power with NO battery in, will Hypersmooth 2 work OK?

5.  Does using the battery on external power disable any of the camera functions, resolutions, frame rates, menu options etc.?

Accepted Solutions
Tourist

Re: GoPro 8 Black on external power

[ New ]

@gregb886 wrote:

I'm planning to replace my older GoPro 4 with the new 8 Black but I need to be abolutely sure I can use it in my car running from a USB power supply from the car or from a power bank.

Questions:

1.  Does the GoPro battery need to be in the camera while it is running from external power?  if it does, what keeps the battery in place while the battery cover is open?  Is it retained by clicking into place?

3.  If the camera is running on external power with the battery in, will Hypersmooth 2 work OK?

4.  If the camera is running on external power with NO battery in, will Hypersmooth 2 work OK?

5.  Does using the battery on external power disable any of the camera functions, resolutions, frame rates, menu options etc.?

Thank you everyone for the feedback.

I went ahead and bought an 8 & used it in my rally car running off power from the car through a USB socket.  It worked fine.

I used race tape & some small felt blocks to retain the battery.  I'll look into the Ulanzi battery door for the future now I know the camera works OK on external power.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Tourist

[ New ]
I am actually wondering the same thing, although i use my GoPro's on my motorbike while driving all day i don't want to about battery life, storage availability is allready anough to worry about. I cannot believe there isn't an out of the box solution for motorbikes and connected to exteral power sources. Where GoPro seems to target Marketing with a serious budget, this is one they seem to ignore!? Such a shame for such a beautifull and well developed product.
Adventurer

[ New ]

Ulanzi maes a battery door  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0813CXVV1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And excellent question if hte USb port charger is rated higher then 1.5A it should work fine.

Tourist

[ New ]
Seems like a nice solution, but...

Currently unavailable
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
Adventurer

[ New ]

Ulanzi has their Site, that you can order from 

https://www.ulanzi.com/collections/frontpage/products/ulanzi-g8-7-gopro-8-chargeable-battery-lid

and that said Preorders. so the choice is up to you, mine is on the way

Backpacker

[ New ]

just ordered....thank you Fish!

Adventurer

[ New ]

You are very welcomed.  Keep all posted how you like mine is in transit  hope to see next week.

Nomad

[ New ]

@gregb886 wrote:

Questions:

I can answer a few of these questions based on my own personal experience with external battery on the Hero 8 Black. I'm using this external battery: https://amzn.to/2OYqZeH

1. I had to remove the GoPro internal battery. The camera would not even power on while the internal battery was in place. The battery is not retained in place. It's only held there by friction. I used a piece of soft cloth to cover the battery compartment while I was plugged into external battery. NOT a good situation... but it'll have to work until the gopro mods case is released or until the Ulanzi battery doors are available.

2. Yes... The battery door is removable. You could just open it and leave it attached but it comes off VERY easily, so I remove it in order to keep from losing it. 

4. Hypersmooth 2 seemed to work just fine with battery removed while on external power. I did not try all of the different frame rate / modes.

I'm anxiously waiting on the GoPro "mod" to be released. This will be the ultimate solution for protecting the inside of the battery case while using external battery. 

Adventurer

[ New ]
Lets also keep in mind on the Media Module is not waterproof, and no one knows how the Moduel accept the camera install, that worries me? about it angeling in and fitting over the port if its a 90 degree instal great, I think not.
Nomad

[ New ]

@fishycomics wrote:
Lets also keep in mind on the Media Module is not waterproof, and no one knows how the Moduel accept the camera install, that worries me? about it angeling in and fitting over the port if its a 90 degree instal great, I think not.

It looks like the module has a hinge on one side. The camera will slide in and mate up with the USB connector, then the hinged side swings closed. I'm curious how well the module microphone will work. Maybe we won't even need an external mic plugged in? I can't wait to get rid of that clunky external mic adapter that I use on the Hero 7.

Adventurer

[ New ]

always going to be somethingwith gopro.  think the Promic is lighter or heavier?   I  may have  missed the  side door lock thing.

Nomad

[ New ]

@fishycomics wrote:

always going to be somethingwith gopro.  think the Promic is lighter or heavier?   I  may have  missed the  side door lock thing.

Seems like it's fairly light and a lot easier than plugging in that external adapter and then having to mount that too. Hopefully we'll get to pre-order soon.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Not for me I'll keep basic  do not needd added Bulk and weight where the promic I know how to  keep slim.

Nomad

[ New ]

@fishycomics wrote:

Not for me I'll keep basic  do not needd added Bulk and weight where the promic I know how to  keep slim.

But will you still use the clunky audio adapter with the Promic? Hey... I saw the ulanzi link you posted for the side door with the hole for the cable. I ordered it yesterday (pre-order) and I just got an email with tracking. It's on the way! Thanks for posting that.

Adventurer

[ New ]

@tj311 wrote:

@fishycomics wrote:

But will you still use the clunky audio adapter with the Promic? Hey... I saw the ulanzi link you posted for the side door with the hole for the cable. I ordered it yesterday (pre-order) and I just got an email with tracking. It's on the way! Thanks for posting that.

If you say its bulky then its  bulky to some  I found the best spot to place to is  at the Low end of the camera. so the same will be for the Hero 8 .  Yep wised gopro made the door not Ulanzi but that is what it is ?

Nomad

[ New ]

If you say its bulky then its  bulky to some  I found the best spot to place to is  at the Low end of the camera. so the same will be for the Hero 8 .  Yep wised gopro made the door not Ulanzi but that is what it is ?

Yes... I agree with you that placing the audio adapter under the camera works well. I use the Ulanzi frame housing and the built in slot is perfect. I'm just hoping that the new "mod" frame with audio is good enough so that I don't have to use an external mic at all. 

Adventurer

[ New ]

That I 1000% agree on Big-Time, I donot want to dish another $80.0 out and failure   on the past two gopos losig the Audio imput. so I'll    stick wit hteh will power to P A S S !

Tourist

[ New ]

@gregb886 wrote:

Questions:

Thank you everyone for the feedback.

I went ahead and bought an 8 & used it in my rally car running off power from the car through a USB socket.  It worked fine.

I used race tape & some small felt blocks to retain the battery.  I'll look into the Ulanzi battery door for the future now I know the camera works OK on external power.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]

Hello,

I bought the Hero8 Black now and did my very first tests.

About filming into a car with external battery (10 000mAh), i did a test and in 4K 60fps with hight bitrates and hypersmooth2.0 high then the camera stopped after 45 minutes because the camera is too warm... (exactly like the Hero 7 did)

I will try later in paragliding if the frozen problems are the same than with the Hero 7 which i got many problems with.

Then i will decide if i keep this camera or not...

Regards,

Denis

Adventurer

[ New ]

my test was  by a window,  not Summer temps, or the Sun beating down on it,  the sd card was filled, still ran, as I stopped the test, I had another 30 minutes left.  I ran 1/2 the test on 4K30 HYpersmooth on, then All out, camera  ATP.   not all  are with issues or  if this was a issue, Imagine the many of thousands of camera's out there today?

I just wonder why my two do not freeze? guess  Iam that select few (WINK)

Fish

Tourist

[ New ]

I guess filming inside the car with closed windows (without fresh air) make problems.

When using fresh air (when flying with paraglider), the Hero 7 was freezing but not sure it was a temperature issue.

I will see next time i fly, but i already know that without fresh air there is the same problem with temperature.

Cheers,

Denis

Backpacker

[ New ]

@spiryrange63110 wrote:

I guess filming inside the car with closed windows (without fresh air) make problems.

with h7 I had this problem in the car, I always sacrificed an air vent to blow cold on the camera (and on my iPhone as well).

since h8, I haven't noticed this problem.

my thoughts:

• could be an internal improvement of the temperature management
  • the new design - the metal foldable mount ears, in contact with the camera body, acts as a radiator
  • on H7 the hottest part was hot under the lens
  • on H8 I feel the mounting ears are the hottest.

today I skate with the camera, though not filming continuously.

around -3 Celsius, but no problem.  

just me,

robert

Tourist

[ New ]

@spiryrange63110 wrote:

Hello,

I bought the Hero8 Black now and did my very first tests.

About filming into a car with external battery (10 000mAh), i did a test and in 4K 60fps with hight bitrates and hypersmooth2.0 high then the camera stopped after 45 minutes because the camera is too warm... (exactly like the Hero 7 did)

I will try later in paragliding if the frozen problems are the same than with the Hero 7 which i got many problems with.

Then i will decide if i keep this camera or not...

Regards,

Denis

Thanks, Denis.

I had the same experience in 4k 60fps.  It gets hot & freezes.  I had to take the battery out to get it started again.

My camera is mounted on the windscreen in a closed car so it does get sun & no airflow but I had the aircon so it wasn't that hot in the car.

Disappointing that the product is that limited.

I ran it next day in the same conditions in 4k 30fps & it worked fine.

Nomad

[ New ]

@fishycomics wrote:

Ulanzi maes a battery door  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0813CXVV1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And excellent question if hte USb port charger is rated higher then 1.5A it should work fine.

@fishycomics Have you had any problems getting your Ulanzi side door? I ordered direct from Ulanzi on 11/23/19 and never received it. It shipped but the last tracking update was on 12/6/19 when it left China. I contacted Ulanzi and they refuse to refund. I'm bummed.

Tourist

[ New ]
@tj311

I don't have experience with this item, but i do order alot of stuff from China.
I would recommend to use PayPal when possible, you can have AliExpress to step in by raising a dispute.
I'm not sure if ebay has this service, that's where PayPal comes in.
In such case im sure that you will get refunded.

Make sure that customs or mail service are not just slowing things down, i've received 98 out of 100 items last year... takes 3 to 10 weeks to the Netherlands through regular mail.