Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro 8 Black battery life

[ New ]

Hello,

I tested my Hero8 Black I bought about a month ago and found the battery life to be very short. I got about 1:17h on recording 1080p60 in the loop (5 min) setting at 22°C. That doesn't change when I take a different battery. It also looses about 1% every 4h if turned of. GPS, Voice controll and Quick start where turned off. Thats way below what I expected.

Additionally the camera and battery get very hot when shooting, like uncomfortable to touch hot. I'm running the latest firmware (01.50) and did a factory reset and my SD-card is the one send with the bundle of cyber monday.

Is that intended behaviour or is my camera not running correctly? Is anyone experiencing the same problem or can tell me specifications about runtime? I could not find any.

Sincerely

Accepted Solutions
Tourist

Re: GoPro 8 Black battery life

[ New ]

All Replies
Tourist

Re: GoPro 8 Black battery life

[ New ]
Tourist

Betreff: GoPro 8 Black battery life

[ New ]

Bei meiner GoPro 8 Black noch schlimmer: Batterie leer (Selbstabschaltung) nach insgesamt 7 (!) Minuten Videos in "Snow"- Einstellung (1080). Außentemperatur ca. 0 bis -2 Grad Celsius. Da hat meine GoPro 3 unter gleichen Bedingungen ja länger durchgehalten... Das ist absolut inakzeptabel. Selbstentladungsgrad im ausgeschalten Zustand ist ebenfalls unverhältnismäßig hoch. Bin sehr enttäuscht. . 

GoPro

Re: Betreff: GoPro 8 Black battery life

[ New ]

Hello @peernilss1617. Cameras may have limitations when operating in very cold or hot temperatures, most notably in high-performance modes. These tips will help improve camera performance in cold environments. 

Tourist

Re: Betreff: GoPro 8 Black battery life

[ New ]

Sure, I am fully aware of battery life limitations in the cold. However, I have been using cameras and GoPros in winter quite frequently (I am in a ski club and we produce footage from trainings etc.) and never ran into such extreme issues as with the Hero 8. I even used the silicon case to keep it warmer. Moreover, 0 to -2 degrees Celsius is not really cold. It was a calm, sunny March day ("spring skiing") which is about the warmest you can get these days. For a camera heavily promoted for winter sports, this hints towards a major design and/or technical flaw, even more so if the recommendation is to still use the massive case as described in the "tips", thus ironically taking advantage of the overheating issue described under hotter weather conditions.