Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro 8 Black Image Static Noise

[ New ]

Hi, 

I have an issue with my new GoPro 8 Black that there is a very visible static noise on the night photo. 

Here is an example for the issue: 

This photo has been taken in outdoors

Outdoor.png

and here is a photo in a vary dark room

DarkRoom.png

the noise is identical between them. Kindly help 

DarkRoom.png
Tourist

Re: GoPro 8 Black Image Static Noise

[ New ]
Sorry about the dublicated image I don't know how to edit the topic.
Hiker

[ New ]

I am not 100% sure, since I am not a GoPro expert (yet). But do you have the same issue during daylight?
What I would recommend is to make several pictures from a white and a black paper (during the day). Do you also see those pixels?

If they do appear on other pictures, they could be dead/stuck pixels. And if thats the case, and if your Hero 8 is witin warranty, you have to claim warranty.

But I suggest  @mariustanya to take a quick look here also.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you for the reply arjanks

I have taken more than 500 photos at night in different days with the exact same noise appears.

The noise doesn't show up in a day time or a high light images becouse there are many colors and light that covers the issue.

I think it is a sensor image but I need an expert conferm my idea.

Nomad

[ New ]
For photos you have more flexibility in shutter speed vs ISO compared to video. I would try to set max ISO at 400 - 800 and let the shutter speed go long. It will still be noisy but not from amplification of the sensor data. GoPro may not be the camera for night photos
Tourist

[ New ]
Thank you for your reply bovk,

The photo outdoor was taken with iso 400 and with shutter 30 Secs, I understand that photos at dark could have a noise but my issue is with the static noise that appears exactly the same in all low light photos I take.

It is a new camera and I need to know if every other GoPro 8 Black owner face the same issue and this is GoPro quality which I think not true. Or this is an exceptional case that need to be reviewed by customer support and be solved by replacement or any other action.
Nomad

[ New ]
So I took Hero 8 out and I took several pictures in dark room with different ISO and shutter speed. Exposed to get nearly dark photo. I can see a few red blue white pixels at max magnification (400%). I am not sure if they would show on video since I would have to be using really large TV to get that magnification. In photos we are looking at >40 inch picture. In my case I can easily take them out if needed (total < 10). I think that if you take a photo and there are pixels in large amount (lets say > 5) under a reasonable magnification (24 inch monitor) you should try to talk to support. Do not take this as a good test, maybe search net for some more info.
Nomad

[ New ]

This is a well documented fault with the GoPro Hero 8, lots of hot pixels visible in night shots with blue and red dots.  GoPro don't seem to have mentioned any way of fixing this.