Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

GoPro 7 shaky and blurry footage

Hi guys,

Hope anybody can help me. We have been to Vegas last month and we shot some footage with our GoPro Hero 7 Black. But the result when moving comes out very, very blurry (neon lights lighting up and down). A problem I never had before while using my GoPro Hero 3+ en 4 Silver.

Please help! Any help is appreciated.

Link to the Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1BsF7PpgDs&feature=youtu.be

Especially watch the T-Mobile letters of the T-Mobile arena...

Settings: 1080P, 30FPS, Wide (hyperstabilization on).

Any help is appreciated! Hope I haven't got a mondaymorningmodel :-(

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: GoPro 7 shaky and blurry footage

Hypersmooth Stabilization does not work very well in low light. Hero6 compensated for this by automatically turning off stabilization in low light. Older cameras obviously didn't have this issue because they don't have stabilization.

Ways you can improve low light:
1) Turn off stabilization
2) Use 4K (4:3) / 24 which uses a less aggressive stabilization
3) Lock ISO MIN and MAX to 800
4) Use a resolution with 60fps and lock the shutter at 1/240 and adjust ISO accordingly.

A new update is expected in December, so we'll see how the GoPro engineers address this at that time.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer

HS (Hypersmooth) reacts to  low light that is one good reason for blurred, shaking footage if gopro releases in the updated firmware  the Standard EIS that will no longer be the isuse and resolved.   I find that the GP7 is a great daytime only and the GP6 great night time all around camera. one out weghs the othr.

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for your fast reply. ProTune is off by the way. Already suspected something like this. Is a new firmware underway that could solve this issue? Haven't got a GoPro Hero 6, but I wished I had one if I hear your arguments ;-)

Highlighted
Tourist

I experience similar issue. Filmed 2.7k/60 with Protune Flat on and HS on, GoPro 7. It was chest mounted bike commute night time in the city. Video is extremely blurry all the time. My GoPro 5 Session did way better job at that. I can't believe a $400 camera can't handle a simple night footage, I don't even care about noise. Can GoPro please add regular EIS as an option???
Highlighted
Explorer

Hypersmooth Stabilization does not work very well in low light. Hero6 compensated for this by automatically turning off stabilization in low light. Older cameras obviously didn't have this issue because they don't have stabilization.

Ways you can improve low light:
1) Turn off stabilization
2) Use 4K (4:3) / 24 which uses a less aggressive stabilization
3) Lock ISO MIN and MAX to 800
4) Use a resolution with 60fps and lock the shutter at 1/240 and adjust ISO accordingly.

A new update is expected in December, so we'll see how the GoPro engineers address this at that time.
Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks Daniel for the information. Hope gopro will do better with the update, I have a lot of video now that I cannot use Smiley Sad