Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: GoPro 7, is not charging while recording.

@graytree76514 I just spoke to customer support team. They are telling me that the gopro is NOT COMPATIBLE with external battery use. What is up with that?????
Hiker

@graytree76514 If I do a refund, I'm being told that I will not be refunded for the $100 trade up program. SO..... I'm only going to get $300 refund and they will be keeping the camera I traded in??
Adventurer

Well it's an Action camera bottom line not all of us use it as that. and well maybe one good reason why we  have it like it is.

Hiker

@fishycomics I guess it depends on a person's definition of action. I'm using it on a kayak. (which gopro shows on some of their ads) I don't even run it continuously. It's start and stop all day long. But the location of one of the cameras makes it impossible for me to just swap out batteries all day long. Hence the need for an extended battery. I'm just quite surprised that the hero 5 I use has never had an issue with the ext battery.
Hiker

I did a timelapse yesterday, battery 100% and connected to an Anker power bank, after 5-6 hours of shooting, battery was still 100%. FW 1.51

Tourist

I'm slightly concerned about this discussion. I just bought a GP H7 Black for motorcycle use. Charging it while recording is very important to me.

What is GoPro's stance on this matter?

GoPro

Hi @revvr,

Have you tried charging it without battery?

If you need to use it without power supply attached then you just have to insert the battery.

If that will not work try to manually install the new firmware manually. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Hiker

I can confirm that the GoPro will charge but when charging it will loose connection to a Smart Remote.  I have a Hero 6 and a Hero 7 along with two remotes that I use on my motorcycle.  I had a Hero 5 that I charged and used with the remote and had no issues.  I sold it and got the Hero 7.

Neither the Hero 6 or 7 will work reliably with the remote and charging, I have tried numerous cables and changed wireless settings.  I have a test environment in my kitchen that I have played with all through the Christmas period.

If you use Smart Remotes you will have to work with batteries.  Fortunately, I have a battery charger that will go in my tank bag and can charge batteries when on the move.  I still have the annoyance of changing batteries after stops.