Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

GoPro 7, is not charging while recording.

[ New ]

This has to be some sw issue...???I have owned H7 for a couple of weeks.

For test purposes I attached it to a car to get some long shots.

So... a few hours of drive, power supply attached.. at the end, gopro displays 1% battery life????

A different starting level has no effect.

Power supply is QC3 compatible, cable is rated for 5A (from huawei).

So, power supply is not an issue.

Some are talking about SD card... well, if SD card has effect to charging, then this company has a bigger issue...

Anyhow with Sundisk extreme, 64G, has the same result as with Kingston 512Gb.

An other battery has been tested, even an other unit.

I can't believe, these are  such a crap, they aren't capable of charging batteries, while recording.

Tell me, I've got two faulty units!!!

GoPro

Re: GoPro 7, is not charging while recording.

[ New ]

Hello @ilpol3114

We have tested the HERO7 Black to continue recording while being charged. How does it go when the package-included charging cable is used? Also, try testing the camera while being connected to a different power source. The SanDisk Extreme card that you have used is a recommended one, so there should be no issue with it. The Kingston one though is not among the preferred cards. Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Tourist

[ New ]

I can confirm your observation.  I am running two GoPro 7 Black cameras in fixed positions each equipped with a 5 volt 5 amp power supplies. The batteries deplete while hooked up to the power supply even though the power supply can support the camera without a battery in the camera.

Example. Today I made a flight with both Hero 7 Black running full tilt 4k @ 60FPS. Both cameras were hooked to external power supplies. Both batteries were 100% at the start. After one hour of continuous operation at 4k @ 60FPS both cameras batteries were depleted to 50%. Cameras worked normally for the entire 60 minutes of operation.

I have used the same setup with Hero 5's and 6's. Batteries in these camers do not deplete on external power.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for sharing, @fireyoasis236 . Good note on the resolution used. Is this using the cable provided in the camera package? Will you be able to share a short clip or a photo of the setup as well? This will be very helpful for our team to replicate the issue. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

Using a custom made USB-C cable utilizing only +12 volt and ground leads in the USB-C cable as described in another thread. Intact data lines in some cable/power supply configurations cause the Hero 7 Black to crash in record mode. The camera will operate continuously on exteranal power if only +12 volt and ground supplied to camera.

Here is a link to the power supply used. Each camera has a dedicated 5 volt / 5 amp power supply:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NALDSJ0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are some images of the two Hero 7's mounted on aircraft wing. One camera faces forward another faces inboard. As you can see both cameras have cockpit audio and power supplied to GoPro Audio Adapter then passed to the camera.

Not clear why the cameras seem to be using power from the batteries. Power supplies will support camera with battery out of the camera. As I said in previous post cameras worked fine for 60 minutes of continuous operation today running 4K @ 60FPS.

I will do more bench testing with power supply and camera tomorrow and report.

Tourist

[ New ]

Here is a video taken from the front facing camera just after Hero 7 Black was released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd3K6MKFBH4

Tourist

[ New ]

One more factoid I did not put in the previous posts. Both of these Hero 7 cameras as installed with external power supply on the airplane will charge the GoPro batteries on ships power in the same time as any other source as long as the camera in not in the record mode.

Here is an example of one the first flights made with the Hero 7 Black just after introduction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd3K6MKFBH4

CA Highway 195 washout through Box Canyon after heavy rains a few hours before. Video shot from wing mounted GoPro Hero 7 Black. 4k, 60 FPS, ProTune, HyperSm...
Hiker

[ New ]

Hi mariustanya 

If You're somehow related to GoPro, isn't that easy to try, what happens when charging/recording simultaneously?

It's not possible to use Gopro usb cable everywhere. Some standards should apply to gopro as well.

When power source has amps enough, and cable is rated as high as 5A, why it will drain the battery??

I really hope I've got two faulty units.

Hiker

[ New ]

So there's a timeout for reply's???

OK, here it is, again.

Hi mariustanya

If You're somehow related to GoPro, isn't that easy to try, what happens when charging/recording simultaneously (with some other cable)?

It's not possible to use Gopro usb cable everywhere. Some standards should apply to gopro as well.

When power source has amps enough, and cable is rated as high as 5A, why it will drain the battery??

"Also, try testing the camera while being connected to a different power source"

It will drain the battery with three different car chargers, one QC3, power taken either C or USB A plug, both up to 12V, one is Huawei's 5/9V 2A, and one is "regular".

And with portable power source.

USB A->C, (many of them), and C->C.

This is the one I was using, 

https://consumer.huawei.com/en/accessories/sc-car-charger/

Should be easy find, for testing.

I still really hope I've got two faulty units.

Tourist

[ New ]

Ok, did some bench testing today to get more details of the GoPro Hero 7 battery depletion in the record mode on external power.

For this test I setup a GoPro Hero 6 Black and a GoPro Hero 7 Black. Hardware supporting each camera was identical: cable, power supply. I set each camera with identical settings: 4k @ 60 FPS with stabilization. I then ran each camera in the record mode for exactly 10 minutes multiple times.

Results:

GoPro Hero 6 Black completed 10 minutes of recording with 100% battery remaining.

GoPro Hero 7 Black completed 10 minutes of recording with 91% battery remaining.

These results coincide with my usage running the Hero 7 Black for a hour or more continuously. On external power the GoPro Hero 7 battery depletes around 1% per minute of recording. The GoPro Hero 6 battery remains at full strength.

Some additional information. With the same configuration the Hero 7 Black will run just fine without a battery in the camera. 

During the testing I had one run where the Hero 7 Black battery did not deplete remaining at 100% at the end of the test. This is the first time I have used the Hero 7 Black on external power and witnessed no battery depletion. This all suggests some firmware issue versus hardware to me.

Bottom line the Hero 7 Black is really not fully debugged to be running on external power. Between this issue and the record mode crashes involving certain USB-C cable attachments and battery supplies it is very challenging to produce any video content on external power.

Obviously this impacts the most significantly the most valued feature of this camera: stabilized 4k @ 60 fps recording as this mode will draw down the internal battery very fast.

Time to stop blaming this on off spec cables and SD cards. All of this is most likely firmware bugs that were not properly worked out before sale.

Hiker

[ New ]

"Time to stop blaming this on off spec cables and SD cards. All of this is most likely firmware bugs that were not properly worked out before sale."

Exactly.

If standard, quality cables/SD has such an effect, even for charging, then we can expect, nothing is according to a standards.

When Hero 6 can keep battery alive, while recording, I doubt, whether it's hw issue.

So GoPro, when do we get a FIX for this issue??

Hiker

[ New ]

So, a new fw 1.6 arrived.

A phone got an update ... after that I tried to update gopro with new firmware.

No chance anymore...

An other device (tablet), fresh installation - no way.

An other SD card, and manual update - done.

Two USB cables.

Gopro original and a good one.

With gopro original & C to C (rated for 60W) cables, both, battery still draining while recording.

Maybe not that fast, but 40min recording... gp is HOT and battery level is, where it was. (This might be an improvement??)

Power supply is Satechi, should be capable for more that 3A - and I can see those figurres in my tablet by charging monitor.

A third device tomorrow....

Nomad

[ New ]

I have had the same problem with my two Hero 7 Blacks. I'm using the GoPro cable that came with camera. Power supply is OUTXE 24000mAh Rugges Charger with dual input Type C & Micro USB. My hero 5 charges just fine with it. While the cameras are in Record mode.... there is no charge. When I'm not recording, I get the charge indication. The SD card is Samsung 128GB EVO (on the approved GoPro list). 

I know that a new firmware update came out, so I'll install that and test the external battery pack tomorrow.

Tourist

[ New ]

Applied 1.61 to both Hero 7 Blacks. Both camers went upsided down after update with crashes and freezes. Just did a full manual reinstall of 1.61 and they seem stable right now.

I can confirm in my first test that the battery does not deplete during recording. It just stays the same which is ok with me.

Through it all my Hero 6 Black just keeps working. Same cables and several different external power devices, same ones I use for the both Hero 7 Blacks.

My application involves 1 or 2 hours continuous operation on external power. Will test 1.61 in those conditions.

Was able to keep both cameras running on external power for over an hour on 1.51 a few days ago.

Here is the raw cut of that video.

https://youtu.be/yYPxT6jRC-s

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the update, @ilpol3114. We have initiated tests to to determine battery status while camera is recording and connected to a power source. We are still collating results.

@tj311 and @fireyoasis236, please let us know how it goes with the battery when you test with the new firmware. We will include the results as we pass this along to the team. Thanks!

Nomad

[ New ]

Updated both of my hero 7 blacks to latest firmware 1.61 manually. After the update, I did a factory reset to both. I ran one camera on external battery pack for about an hour and a half. (I ran it inside my house) I stopped a few times to check the battery drain. Twice, the battery indicator showed 65%, but when I pressed the record button and then the stop button, the indicator went up to 91% charge. So, I did this a few times throughout the recording process and each time, the battery would jump back up to 91% charge remaining. So, it looks like it's NOT draining the battery during recording. The indication is just flakey, maybe?? 

I'll check both cameras out in the field next week. (I kayak fish for several hours, and record the event). We'll see how it performs in the real world situation.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @tj311,

If issue persist please contact our customer support team via phone or chat.

They can check that.

Regards,

-Jay 

Hiker

[ New ]

I've tried now 3 different gopros, new, right out from packages.

Done update for them.

(By the way... When gopro's phone app was updated  about a week ago... since then, there's no chance to update cameras via phone... none of them. First one was updated easily, with an old version. So I've done manual update since then.)

None of them will charge, while recording.

Chargers real outputs are higher than 2A. QC and regular.

Fw 1.5, 1.6 - no difference.

Battery indicator will "freeze" sometimes at some previous occasion/state, displaying what ever was at that time, when recording will be stopped.

Usually there's immediately lower reading, than in the beginning of recording.

This can't be "a surprise" for GoPro team, as this happens so often.

These faults should not be too difficult to realize/repeat at GoPro????

If You have done any tests, concerning this issue, would You tell what are the results??

If cameras, You've tested, are charging, why I can't find such a unit from our stores?

Do we have some faulty series here in Europe?

Adventurer

[ New ]

My Hero does not recharge while in "Record"What we want is USB plugged in AC takes over first then battery last. can you come back and and tell us why your Team has not got back to all of us on here yet about that?

AC over ride

Hiker

[ New ]

So, an other unit, 4th.

40 min recording with factory defaults.

1% Battery, when started, 1% when stopped.

GoPro original cable used.

Satechi 75W charger supplying.

Our local Gopro importer told to the shop I bought it.... they want to cancel the deal. (annulment of purchace)

Somehow I suspect, they (Gopro) don't have an answer to this issue??

This fault is so easy to repeat, that they didn't even ask for more details.

Or, they might not be even interested of, as I'm only one customer. Who cares.

So, I'll try to contact them directly by myself to get some direct answers, but seems to be advisable to return this to the shop and go for an other brand.

Hiker

[ New ]

I have another thread running about charging a GoPro Hero 7, using it and a Smart Remote.  All of this worked with a Hero 5 but I struggled to get it to work with a Hero 6 and now I have a Hero 7.  I contacted the support hub yesterday and this is a transcript of part of their conversation with me:  See the post at 10.47.

Me (12/18/2018, 10:43:03 AM): Ok, lets try another question. Is there any issue with charging a GoPro and using it with the Smart Remote at the same time.
Francis Aries (12/18/2018, 10:44:32 AM): Let verify that one .
Francis Aries (12/18/2018, 10:44:41 AM): Let me verify that one .
Me (12/18/2018, 10:44:55 AM): BTW I should add that I was able to charge a Hero 5 and use the Smart Remote at the same time.
Me (12/18/2018, 10:45:24 AM): I then got a Hero 6 and started having problems.
Me (12/18/2018, 10:45:42 AM): I have now sold the Hero 5.
Me (12/18/2018, 10:45:56 AM): So I have a hero 6 and a hero 7 and two smart remotes
Francis Aries (12/18/2018, 10:47:13 AM): Actually it not advisable charging and using it at the same time.
Francis Aries (12/18/2018, 10:47:36 AM): There are instance that it will work but it can damage you camera.
Me (12/18/2018, 10:48:04 AM): That's not good, is hat common knowledge?
Me (12/18/2018, 10:48:25 AM): Sorry "Is that common knowledge"
Francis Aries (12/18/2018, 10:48:56 AM): Yes.
Me (12/18/2018, 10:49:47 AM): We have spent a lot of time on this chat and now you are saying it is not advisable to charge and use a Gopro at the same time!!!!!!
Francis Aries (12/18/2018, 10:50:17 AM): I'm sorry for that.

Tourist

[ New ]

From the GoPro 7 manual

Even though your camera is plugged in, the battery will not charge during recording. It will start charging when you stop recording. You cannot record while charging with a computer.

The problem is the battery discharges while recording.

Hiker

[ New ]
I am not using my computer, I am using mains supply. My issue was with the Smart Remote disconnecting and that is why I contacted GoPro support.

As you can see from my post they are saying charging the camera and using it can cause damage. I find that very strange.
Hiker

[ New ]

Oh F....

Well, got to return this, and go for an other brand.

Anyhow, interesting, that this has been tested to work... found in the beginning of this thread.

"We have tested the HERO7 Black to continue recording while being charged......

Thanks, 
Marius"

Sightseer

[ New ]

Strange that they state that charging while recording may cause damage to your camera, because sometimes my camera starts to record or shoot pictures by itself when I plug it in to charge... Or you go away when charging starts when the camera is off and when you come back to check later it sits there charging and recording by its self without me or someone else even touched the camera... And I don't have a remote...

Hiker

[ New ]

I find it astonishing that it does not allow you to charge and use it at the same time with a remote.  I was able to do this with the Hero 5 Black.  I think their issue is to do with the promimity of the charging port to the memory card.  I have tried several cables and with or without a battery.  With some cables it immediately drops the link to the remote with the GoPro cable is sort of works.for a while.

I was hoping to use the Hero 7 on my motorbike and charge it from th bike.

Tourist

[ New ]

There is most likely a very sound reason why the GoPro will not charge and record at the same time. The power demands of 4K full resolution recording and battery charging exceed the capability of the USB-C wiring. Just tear down a typical USB-C cable and you will find very fine wires carrying the power. That is one of the reasons USB-C cables are so short.

The Hero 7 running 4k@60fps, WiFi/BlueTooth on, GPS on, ProTune on and stabiliization on is running right on the bleeding edge of servicability owing to all the power demands.

Hiker

[ New ]

"There is most likely a very sound reason why the GoPro will not charge and record at the same time. The power demands of 4K full resolution recording and battery charging exceed the capability of the USB-C wiring. Just tear down a typical USB-C cable and you will find very fine wires carrying the power. That is one of the reasons USB-C cables are so short."

Please guys.

C cables are rated to charge computers.

I've got a cable, up to 60W. 20V*3A. Lenght 1 meter. And this is not the thickest available.

If GP battery last for an hour, it draws appr. 1A. (1.2A battery)

So there's plenty of power left for charging, when using good chargers/cables.

Even 1.5A is enough for keeping it alive and charging a bit.

Weakest link is GP in this chain.

Hiker

[ New ]
"I find it astonishing that it does not allow you to charge and use it at the same time with a remote. I was able to do this with the Hero 5 Black. I think their issue is to do with the promimity of the charging port to the memory card. I have tried several cables and with or without a battery. With some cables it immediately drops the link to the remote with the GoPro cable is sort of works.for a while.

I was hoping to use the Hero 7 on my motorbike and charge it from th bike."

This WAS my intention as well.
But placing a camera on it's bracket, taking it out from there to change battery, even more often than doing your "required" stops, based on riding/fuelling, does not sound a good idea.
When considering GP's feature to drain battery quite fast, even when not recording... it's going to be empty quite often. (within last 28h, 14%, (86% left) and it has been shut off)
Hiker

[ New ]

I have a BMW K1600GT with a charger port on the right fairing.  I have a RAM mount on the right handlebar.  With my GoPro 5 I was able to plug it into the charging port and keep it charged while using it.  I also have a GoPro mount  on the windscreen, when on the windscreen I used batteries.  I ran two GoPro Hero 5 Black's using Smart Remotes.

When I got a GoPro 6, I had problems.  It would disconnect from the Smart Remote while charging.  So I stopped using it on the handlebar mount and moved it to the windscreen, the GoPro 5 worked perfectly on the handlebar.

When I upgraded the GoPro 5 to the GoPro 7 I had the same problems as I encountered with the GoPro 6.  I am now back to using batteries on both devices.  I have a charger and can charge batteries within my tankbag.

GoPro have a problem with the Hero 6 and 7 charging and using.  I contacted GoPro and they said charging and using it would damage it.

I could easily get hung up on this, but its Christmas.

Nomad

[ New ]

Yes... I had problems with both cameras when I went out fishing. After firwareware update, My hero 7 will sometimes drain the battery and sometimes it doesn't. Very strange. About an hour into a long recording (1080 / 60), the camera did a shutdown on its own. Battery showed zero and it was not charging. I have to unplug the cable and plug it back in. Then I got a red charge light. I was able to turn the camera back on and it still showed zero charge, but it kept recording. Very erratic behavior. I will contact customer support.

Nomad

[ New ]

Wow! That's unbelievable. I ALWAYS use smart remote and external battery. NOT GOOD NEWS and definitely NOT COMMON KNOWLEDGE.

Nomad

[ New ]
@jayr3438 I just spoke to customer support team. They are telling me that the gopro is NOT COMPATIBLE with external battery use. What is up with that?????
Nomad

[ New ]
@jayr3438 If I do a refund, I'm being told that I will not be refunded for the $100 trade up program. SO..... I'm only going to get $300 refund and they will be keeping the camera I traded in??
Adventurer

[ New ]

Well it's an Action camera bottom line not all of us use it as that. and well maybe one good reason why we  have it like it is.

Nomad

[ New ]
@fishycomics I guess it depends on a person's definition of action. I'm using it on a kayak. (which gopro shows on some of their ads) I don't even run it continuously. It's start and stop all day long. But the location of one of the cameras makes it impossible for me to just swap out batteries all day long. Hence the need for an extended battery. I'm just quite surprised that the hero 5 I use has never had an issue with the ext battery.
Hiker

[ New ]

I did a timelapse yesterday, battery 100% and connected to an Anker power bank, after 5-6 hours of shooting, battery was still 100%. FW 1.51

Hiker

[ New ]

I'm slightly concerned about this discussion. I just bought a GP H7 Black for motorcycle use. Charging it while recording is very important to me.

What is GoPro's stance on this matter?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @revvr,

Have you tried charging it without battery?

If you need to use it without power supply attached then you just have to insert the battery.

If that will not work try to manually install the new firmware manually. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Hiker

[ New ]

I can confirm that the GoPro will charge but when charging it will loose connection to a Smart Remote.  I have a Hero 6 and a Hero 7 along with two remotes that I use on my motorcycle.  I had a Hero 5 that I charged and used with the remote and had no issues.  I sold it and got the Hero 7.

Neither the Hero 6 or 7 will work reliably with the remote and charging, I have tried numerous cables and changed wireless settings.  I have a test environment in my kitchen that I have played with all through the Christmas period.

If you use Smart Remotes you will have to work with batteries.  Fortunately, I have a battery charger that will go in my tank bag and can charge batteries when on the move.  I still have the annoyance of changing batteries after stops.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Ran into this as well but found a few things that should help.

The issue is one of current vs resolution.

There are combinations that will work with external power and those that won’t.

To find out what resolution and frame rates work - remove the battery and plug in external power. 

The camera will power up but certain resolution and frame rates will cause it to turn off.

The combinations where the camera stays on and records are the ones you can use with the battery in place but will not deplete with external power.

Note that a higher amperage external source (like 5 amps) used with the short OEM cable yields the widest range useable.

Hope this helps,

Chris