Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Re: GoPro 7, is not charging while recording.

Strange that they state that charging while recording may cause damage to your camera, because sometimes my camera starts to record or shoot pictures by itself when I plug it in to charge... Or you go away when charging starts when the camera is off and when you come back to check later it sits there charging and recording by its self without me or someone else even touched the camera... And I don't have a remote...

Hiker

I find it astonishing that it does not allow you to charge and use it at the same time with a remote.  I was able to do this with the Hero 5 Black.  I think their issue is to do with the promimity of the charging port to the memory card.  I have tried several cables and with or without a battery.  With some cables it immediately drops the link to the remote with the GoPro cable is sort of works.for a while.

I was hoping to use the Hero 7 on my motorbike and charge it from th bike.

Tourist

There is most likely a very sound reason why the GoPro will not charge and record at the same time. The power demands of 4K full resolution recording and battery charging exceed the capability of the USB-C wiring. Just tear down a typical USB-C cable and you will find very fine wires carrying the power. That is one of the reasons USB-C cables are so short.

The Hero 7 running 4k@60fps, WiFi/BlueTooth on, GPS on, ProTune on and stabiliization on is running right on the bleeding edge of servicability owing to all the power demands.

Hiker

"There is most likely a very sound reason why the GoPro will not charge and record at the same time. The power demands of 4K full resolution recording and battery charging exceed the capability of the USB-C wiring. Just tear down a typical USB-C cable and you will find very fine wires carrying the power. That is one of the reasons USB-C cables are so short."

Please guys.

C cables are rated to charge computers.

I've got a cable, up to 60W. 20V*3A. Lenght 1 meter. And this is not the thickest available.

If GP battery last for an hour, it draws appr. 1A. (1.2A battery)

So there's plenty of power left for charging, when using good chargers/cables.

Even 1.5A is enough for keeping it alive and charging a bit.

Weakest link is GP in this chain.

Hiker

"I find it astonishing that it does not allow you to charge and use it at the same time with a remote. I was able to do this with the Hero 5 Black. I think their issue is to do with the promimity of the charging port to the memory card. I have tried several cables and with or without a battery. With some cables it immediately drops the link to the remote with the GoPro cable is sort of works.for a while.

I was hoping to use the Hero 7 on my motorbike and charge it from th bike."

This WAS my intention as well.
But placing a camera on it's bracket, taking it out from there to change battery, even more often than doing your "required" stops, based on riding/fuelling, does not sound a good idea.
When considering GP's feature to drain battery quite fast, even when not recording... it's going to be empty quite often. (within last 28h, 14%, (86% left) and it has been shut off)
Hiker

I have a BMW K1600GT with a charger port on the right fairing.  I have a RAM mount on the right handlebar.  With my GoPro 5 I was able to plug it into the charging port and keep it charged while using it.  I also have a GoPro mount  on the windscreen, when on the windscreen I used batteries.  I ran two GoPro Hero 5 Black's using Smart Remotes.

When I got a GoPro 6, I had problems.  It would disconnect from the Smart Remote while charging.  So I stopped using it on the handlebar mount and moved it to the windscreen, the GoPro 5 worked perfectly on the handlebar.

When I upgraded the GoPro 5 to the GoPro 7 I had the same problems as I encountered with the GoPro 6.  I am now back to using batteries on both devices.  I have a charger and can charge batteries within my tankbag.

GoPro have a problem with the Hero 6 and 7 charging and using.  I contacted GoPro and they said charging and using it would damage it.

I could easily get hung up on this, but its Christmas.

Hiker

Yes... I had problems with both cameras when I went out fishing. After firwareware update, My hero 7 will sometimes drain the battery and sometimes it doesn't. Very strange. About an hour into a long recording (1080 / 60), the camera did a shutdown on its own. Battery showed zero and it was not charging. I have to unplug the cable and plug it back in. Then I got a red charge light. I was able to turn the camera back on and it still showed zero charge, but it kept recording. Very erratic behavior. I will contact customer support.

Highlighted
Hiker

Wow! That's unbelievable. I ALWAYS use smart remote and external battery. NOT GOOD NEWS and definitely NOT COMMON KNOWLEDGE.