Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
GoPro

Re: GoPro 7, is not charging while recording.

Hi @tj311,

If issue persist please contact our customer support team via phone or chat.

They can check that.

Regards,

-Jay 

Hiker

I've tried now 3 different gopros, new, right out from packages.

Done update for them.

(By the way... When gopro's phone app was updated  about a week ago... since then, there's no chance to update cameras via phone... none of them. First one was updated easily, with an old version. So I've done manual update since then.)

None of them will charge, while recording.

Chargers real outputs are higher than 2A. QC and regular.

Fw 1.5, 1.6 - no difference.

Battery indicator will "freeze" sometimes at some previous occasion/state, displaying what ever was at that time, when recording will be stopped.

Usually there's immediately lower reading, than in the beginning of recording.

This can't be "a surprise" for GoPro team, as this happens so often.

These faults should not be too difficult to realize/repeat at GoPro????

If You have done any tests, concerning this issue, would You tell what are the results??

If cameras, You've tested, are charging, why I can't find such a unit from our stores?

Do we have some faulty series here in Europe?

Adventurer

My Hero does not recharge while in "Record"What we want is USB plugged in AC takes over first then battery last. can you come back and and tell us why your Team has not got back to all of us on here yet about that?

AC over ride

Hiker

So, an other unit, 4th.

40 min recording with factory defaults.

1% Battery, when started, 1% when stopped.

GoPro original cable used.

Satechi 75W charger supplying.

Our local Gopro importer told to the shop I bought it.... they want to cancel the deal. (annulment of purchace)

Somehow I suspect, they (Gopro) don't have an answer to this issue??

This fault is so easy to repeat, that they didn't even ask for more details.

Or, they might not be even interested of, as I'm only one customer. Who cares.

So, I'll try to contact them directly by myself to get some direct answers, but seems to be advisable to return this to the shop and go for an other brand.

Hiker

I have another thread running about charging a GoPro Hero 7, using it and a Smart Remote.  All of this worked with a Hero 5 but I struggled to get it to work with a Hero 6 and now I have a Hero 7.  I contacted the support hub yesterday and this is a transcript of part of their conversation with me:  See the post at 10.47.

Me (12/18/2018, 10:43:03 AM): Ok, lets try another question. Is there any issue with charging a GoPro and using it with the Smart Remote at the same time.
Francis Aries (12/18/2018, 10:44:32 AM): Let verify that one .
Francis Aries (12/18/2018, 10:44:41 AM): Let me verify that one .
Me (12/18/2018, 10:44:55 AM): BTW I should add that I was able to charge a Hero 5 and use the Smart Remote at the same time.
Me (12/18/2018, 10:45:24 AM): I then got a Hero 6 and started having problems.
Me (12/18/2018, 10:45:42 AM): I have now sold the Hero 5.
Me (12/18/2018, 10:45:56 AM): So I have a hero 6 and a hero 7 and two smart remotes
Francis Aries (12/18/2018, 10:47:13 AM): Actually it not advisable charging and using it at the same time.
Francis Aries (12/18/2018, 10:47:36 AM): There are instance that it will work but it can damage you camera.
Me (12/18/2018, 10:48:04 AM): That's not good, is hat common knowledge?
Me (12/18/2018, 10:48:25 AM): Sorry "Is that common knowledge"
Francis Aries (12/18/2018, 10:48:56 AM): Yes.
Me (12/18/2018, 10:49:47 AM): We have spent a lot of time on this chat and now you are saying it is not advisable to charge and use a Gopro at the same time!!!!!!
Francis Aries (12/18/2018, 10:50:17 AM): I'm sorry for that.

Tourist

From the GoPro 7 manual

Even though your camera is plugged in, the battery will not charge during recording. It will start charging when you stop recording. You cannot record while charging with a computer.

The problem is the battery discharges while recording.

Hiker

I am not using my computer, I am using mains supply. My issue was with the Smart Remote disconnecting and that is why I contacted GoPro support.

As you can see from my post they are saying charging the camera and using it can cause damage. I find that very strange.
Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Oh F....

Well, got to return this, and go for an other brand.

Anyhow, interesting, that this has been tested to work... found in the beginning of this thread.

"We have tested the HERO7 Black to continue recording while being charged......

Thanks, 
Marius"