Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: GoPro 7 black mit Power bank

@irishmanpdx

@mariustanya The power pack have an output of 5V 2.1A. Seems to be okay. BUT I use a cable with 16ft lenght. The cable is as lightweight as possible - so his diameter is very small. As smaller the cable as higher the power loss. I've calculated it: It's about 15% if the core diameter is 0.5mm (but I think it's even smaller).

I will test it now with removed internal battery and the much shorter original GoPro cable. Will let you know the result.

Highlighted
GoPro

Feel free to post back to share the results of your test, @niklausl5. Thanks!

Highlighted
Hiker

@irishmanpdxand @mariustanya and all other readers.

It was the cable! Not a defective one - it was only the lenght! The cable I used first was 16ft long and - to minimize his weight - with a small cross section. But the line loss of the cable is hight in this case - estimated 20%. that was enough so the camera did not start anymore!

Took the original GoPro cable with 3ft lenght and big cross section. Made a long term experiment.

Video settings: 1080 / NTSC / 30fps / Protune off / HyperSmooth off / WiFi off / Bluetooth off / GPS off

Powerbank: Powerline 5000mAh

Running time of the camera with inserted internal battery: 8h14' (!!!)

Running time of the camera without inserted internal battery: 6h24'

Problem solved, task finished.

**bleep** cable!

Highlighted
GoPro

We appreciate your posting back for an update, @niklausl5. Great to know that the issue is resolved. Have fun using your camera. Best regards!

Highlighted
Hiker

@niklausl5 Würdest du uns allen noch verraten, welches Kabel du jetzt verwendest? Am Motorrad ist das Originalkabel ebenfalls zu kurz. Wenn du also ein längeres, funktionierendes Kabel gefunden hast, bitte teile dein Wissen mir uns allen hier.

Highlighted
Nomad

I use this cable when plugged into a proper UL charger:

https://amzn.to/2BhO7Sf

15ft is about the most length you can use without needing it to be an active repeater cable (which have a secondary power source attached to the cable).  Honestly, the shorter you go the better it's going to be, so if you can use a 10ft cable, so be it.  

Highlighted
Hiker

Ich habe die Sache mit dem Original-GoPro-Kabel getestet. Es ist 90cm lang und funktioniert einwandfrei.

Einen Test mit einem längeren Kabel habe ich noch nicht gemacht.

Wichtig ist - wenn Du ein längeres Kabel verwendest - der Kabelquerschnitt. Denn je dünner das stromführende Kabel, desto mehr Spannungsabfall (Leitungs-Verlust) hast Du. Und irgendeinmal reicht die Spannung nicht mehr, um die GoPro zu starten und zu speisen.

Also: Je länger das Kabel, desto grösser muss der Querschnitt sein.

Wenn ich noch Zeit habe (hab nicht mehr viel da ab in den Urlaub), mache ich den Test mit einem 3m langen Kabel, welches in Etwa den Querschnitt des GoPro-Kabels hat.