Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

GoPro 7 black mit Power bank

Die Kamera hängt am Flügel eines Hängegleiters. Ich will den ganzen Flug filmen - und der kann schon mal 4h dauern. Dooferweise gibt es ja kein Battery Backpack mehr für die 7...

Habe deshalb eine 5100mAh Power Bank gekauft plus ein entsprechendes USB-Kabel.

Gute Idee? Denkeste!

Die Kamera schaltet sich nach 90min genauso ab wegen leerem Akku wie ohne Power Bank.

Vorgehen: Power Bank anschliessen, Kamera einschalten, Filmauslöser drücken.

Version 01.90.

WAS mache ich falsch???

Habe langsam den Eindruck, die GoPros werden mit jedem neuen Modell ein wenig mieser, was praktische Funktionalität betrifft.

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GoPro 7 black mit Power bank

Hello, @niklausl5. Could the camera be stopping the recording due to temperature? See this article for reference. 

If you haven't yet, try recording without the battery. This way, the camera relies solely on the charge supplied by the external power source. Doing this also allows more space for heat to dissipate while the camera is in operation. 

Highlighted
Hiker

Hello Mariustanya

I don't think it's because of the temperature. Camera is outside in the air - heat dissipation should be okay: It's running by only FHD 1080 with 30fps - nothing spectacular.

Question: Did you understood everything in my german article?

Highlighted
Hiker

@mariustanya 

I tried it with removed internal battery. Doesn't work:

If I remove the internal battery and connect the camera with the Power Pack I cannot switch the camera on.

Power Pack: Cellularline 5000.

The camera doesn't recognize the external power source.

Highlighted
GoPro

[ Edited ]

@niklausl5. Thank you for the direction. I read the translated post again. What I am getting now is that the camera stops recording after 90 minutes as expected (battery only, no external power source) But you need to record for at least 4 hours so you have to connect a power bank to the camera. It is true that a recording in 1080p is not considered a high-performance mode. It is not explicitly written but is the issue more on the practicality of the setup against the camera not working as preferred? Or does the camera still stop recording even with the power source connected? 

What is the out put rating of the Cellularline 5000? Do you use the original GoPro USB-C charging cable?

Highlighted
Nomad

Your power pack must have an output of 5V 2A for the GoPro to work.  Also it is not recommended to use a cable over 15ft long as the power loss due to impedence means that the power actually getting to the camera may not be powerful enough to power on said camera.

Highlighted
Hiker

No. Listen the GoPro 7 was notorious for not being able to work with power banks. I had digipowrr refuel 9 hour and it will not work without messing up
Highlighted
Hiker

@mariustanyaCorrect, I need around 4 hours power autonomy. But stops without external power after 90 minutes. Okay.

But if I connect an external power source (with the battery inside the camera) the camera still stops after 90 minutes - she doesn't recognize the additional external power source.

If I remove the internal battery and connect the external power source I cannot start the camera.

The out put rating of the Cellularline 5000 is 5V 2.1

No I don't use the original GoPro USB-C charging cable. I need a longer one because the camera is on the wingtip of my hangglider and the power pack is mounted near the keel (to keep asymmetric weight low). But @irishmanpdx wrote me also a comment - maybe he is on the right way. See also my answer to him.