Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro 7 Black battery discharges when camera off always on 3-rd day

[ Edited ]

HI guys

I'm aware of all topics when it comes to the battery "issue", but nothing really helps in my case and mine is bit different.

What's the case:

- charging GP battery from GP to 100%

- using GP like 4-6 times during next 2 days, the battery drain is completely normal, meaning for each use -4 %

- the 2nd day in the evening battery is charge around 70-75%

- 3-rd day in the morning battery is completely dead. 0%.

Whole time GP acts normally, no freezing, normally turns on and off. Voice commands, screen rotation, WiFi is OFF.

The same happens every single time. I have checked if the battery is working normally by recording when fully charged until 5% and all works fine when using camera. Can record more less 30-45 minutes, so the battery discharges properly when in use.

What the hack is going on? Why when I leave it for 2 days, 3rd day is dead?

Any ideas? Otherwise I'll be explaining this to guys at shops, what will result in nothing, or returning GP.

Edit:

And Yes, GP it is updated, have done that multiple times, both via app and manually.

SD card is compatile and has been formated both in the camera and under W10

Thanks.

Tourist

Re: GoPro 7 Black battery discharges when camera off always on 3-rd day

I have a test for you to try. If you leave the GoPro turned off for a day, will it turn on with a voice command? oir do you have to press the power button?

The reason I ask is because my Hero7 Black will NOT turn on by voice command if it's left off for even a few hours. It WILL turn on or off with voice commands if it's been used recently though. So I think that mine stops listening for voice commands once it's been turned off for a couple of hours or a day. I haven't experimented to actually nail down how long it takes for it to stop turning on with voice command, so it may be hours or a day. Whatever. But it seems to me that if the CPU is "listening" indefinitly, it must be using power to do it. Mine apparently stops listening at some point to save power and the battery lasts for weeks without going dead.

Maybe yours never stops listening for a voice command? You could try turning off the voice command function and see if the battery still goes dead in 3 days.

Tourist

Thanks for that, but no luck in my case. It is always OFF and does not listen, at least does not react to voice commands.

Have checked that multiple times, even have removed and then put the battery back after turning OFF voice command, charging it to 100%, replacing SD.

Thanks for hint though.

Going crazy. In 1 month from now on will need it as will be traveling... 

GoPro

Hello @daringboos7642. Your observation is correct. The Wake On voice expires after 8 hours of the camera in the powered off state. 

GoPro

Hello @adgp7. We appreciate the details that you provided, and the steps that you have already done in resolving the issue. The recording time test is the best way to determine battery integrity. Manually updating the camera as well isolates the issue to as not related to firmware. Have you been able to try with a different battery, or a different HERO7 Black unit by any chance? If you haven't yet, our Support team will be able to help. Please contact them by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . You may direct them to this thread for reference on what has been done already. Let us know how it goes. Many thanks!

Tourist

Thanks.

Just for the record, I'm awaiting GP replacement. Will let you know the result of that.

GoPro

Good to know that you already have a case going with Support. Yes, please let us know how it works out. Thanks!

Tourist

De casualidad tiene el Mic Adapter, a mi se me descarga cuando dejo el Mic Adapter, conectado, esto justo me pasa con la actucalizací

@adgp7  ha escrito:

HI guys

I'm aware of all topics when it comes to the battery "issue", but nothing really helps in my case and mine is bit different.

What's the case:

- charging GP battery from GP to 100%

- using GP like 4-6 times during next 2 days, the battery drain is completely normal, meaning for each use -4 %

- the 2nd day in the evening battery is charge around 70-75%

- 3-rd day in the morning battery is completely dead. 0%.

Whole time GP acts normally, no freezing, normally turns on and off. Voice commands, screen rotation, WiFi is OFF.

The same happens every single time. I have checked if the battery is working normally by recording when fully charged until 5% and all works fine when using camera. Can record more less 30-45 minutes, so the battery discharges properly when in use.

What the hack is going on? Why when I leave it for 2 days, 3rd day is dead?

Any ideas? Otherwise I'll be explaining this to guys at shops, what will result in nothing, or returning GP.

Edit:

And Yes, GP it is updated, have done that multiple times, both via app and manually.

SD card is compatile and has been formated both in the camera and under W10

Thanks.

on 1.80