Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

GoPro 7 Back issue with HyperSmooth Stabilisation - is it a faulty device?

Hi,

I recently bought a GoPro7 Balck and I went out this weekend to test it. I am very disappointed with the quality of the footage I was able to record. It is in fact so bad that I am wondering whether it is a faulty device.

First - I record a small video while walking using the timelapse mode. I get the impression that no HyperSmoth stabilisation or any sort of image stabilisation is working.
timelapse video -> https://youtu.be/6cOZXRW__vE

Second - I record a run using GoPro Chest Mount. Once again, I get the impression that no HyperSmoth stabilisation or any sort of image stabilisation is working.
For my run, the settings were: 4K/25, Superview, HyperSmoth stabilisation 
run video -> https://youtu.be/WZ7Nt3kv8ck

What is even worse in the second video is that there is a different error starting at about 6:17 which leads to the GoPro image to freezing.

Therefore, I am wondering whether it is a faulty device considering that the HyperSmoth stabilisation is not work in my camera anyway as good as advertised and I faced a second even more serious issue when recording my run.

Thanks

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GoPro 7 Back issue with HyperSmooth Stabilisation - is it a faulty device?

Hello @swiftcreek77165

I watched the videos and I agree that there is an even more serious issue shown in the second video. This is the first time I am seeing the split-screen footage. If you have not done it yet, try manually updating your camera to clear out any possible error with the current installation. We recommend that a manual update be done even if the camera may already have the latest firmware. Please find the instructions here as guide. Make sure that the camera is fully charged, and that you are using a recommended, and formatted SD card for the process. Record sample footage again after the update. Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks, 
Marius

View solution in original post

Highlighted
GoPro

There is a discussion on this thread from Hub members that may help with explain the observed issue. There are also recommendations provided. Should you need further assistance, our Support team here https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs will be able to help. You may reach them by phone or chat. Best regards!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @swiftcreek77165

I watched the videos and I agree that there is an even more serious issue shown in the second video. This is the first time I am seeing the split-screen footage. If you have not done it yet, try manually updating your camera to clear out any possible error with the current installation. We recommend that a manual update be done even if the camera may already have the latest firmware. Please find the instructions here as guide. Make sure that the camera is fully charged, and that you are using a recommended, and formatted SD card for the process. Record sample footage again after the update. Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Highlighted
Hiker

Hi @mariustanya,

I followed your instructions to do a manual update.  After that, I recorded a simple footage walking and running for about 8 minutes wearing GoPro Chest Mount.

Camera settings: 4K/25 HyperSmooth Stabilization on
Memory card: Sandisc Extreme, 128GB, 160 MB/s, Class 10, U3, V30 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FCMKK5X/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I could not reproduce the split screen issue but it had only happened, last time, after more than 50 minutes of recording.

Regarding the first issue the HyperSmooth Stabilization, I can only think that my GoPro 7 Black is a faulty device based on the new video.

New video recorded walking and running: https://youtu.be/yqAy8LHVOes

1) there is a vertical undulation/movement when walking
2) There are a vertical and a horizontal movement when running 

Could you please advice whether this is the level of stabilisation that I can expect from a GoPro 7 Black? Based on the videos that have been shared to promote this new camera I would say that it is not the case.

Thanks

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Highlighted
GoPro

Thank you for the update, and for going through the recommended troubleshooting steps. The up and down movement could be due to the actual camera movement. Have you captured any footage when camera is held instead of attached to a chesty? There are more video comparisons here for instances with and without HyperSmooth stabilization for reference. Let us know how it is. Our Support team here https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs will be able to help further determine if the camera itself is the problem. 

Highlighted
Hiker

@mariustanya wrote:

.... The up and down movement could be due to the actual camera movement....

Well, yes - isn't  image stabilisation meant to eliminate/compensate for camera movement such as this? Have I totally misunderstood what image stabilisation does or is it not working? What am I missing?

Highlighted
Tourist

The 7B  is the first Go Pro camera for me and only had it a few weeks so still in the learning stages, but here are a few things I found in doing tests that may be helpful:

• Use TimeWarp if the camera is moving (i.e. hiking, running, biking). Timelapse does not support stabilization and is best if on a tripod (i.e. Sunset, Storm fronts, slow nature events).
  • Hyper stabilization seems to work best if in linear mode. I think this give the processor more empty pixels around the perimeter (wiggle room) to work with. I think you only get stabilization for +/-10% or less background deviation in super wide.
  • If your using quick capture have the default set to video and not Time lapse. For some reason HyperSmooth is not active under this condition. This is a known issue and GP engineers are currently looking into it. This is not an issue if the camera is already on before recording.

Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks @fredc58037 , that's very useful. Your comments re time lapse / time warp make total sense. I'll try stabilisation in linear mode. Thus far stabilisation has been extremely disappointing (as per my comments earlier in this thread, it doesn't appear to be working at all).
Highlighted
Hiker

I tried again using linear mode. Still no sign of any stabilisation. Something is not right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjvamfkS-oo&feature=youtu.be