Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker
Accepted Solution

GoPro 6 Black Stops Recording Video after 147 minutes

Hi there,

Now how i understand GoPros is that they are supposed to record videos till they run outta power correct.  Now i am using a extended battery pack (addon) to power the camera through the USB-C port and after 147 of video inside a waterproof case it stops recording video and starts recording a back flickering screen for the rest of the time!!  Like the gopro records another 4 hours of a black flickering screen after recording perfectly for about 2.45 hours...  Is there a reson for this...  My camera has the latest firmware, and I did the manual way of updating it by putting it on a flashcard and updating it that way.

I am using a SUPPORTED Gopro Memory card also, I am using a Official SanDisk 128GB Extreme A2 V30 card.  The Model of the card is: SDSQXA1-128G-GN6MA, sku 619659169688. As it says on the gopro website for this card, this: SanDisk Extreme/Extreme Plus/Extreme Pro UHS Video Speed Class 30 (V30) - ≥32GB.  Saying anything over 32GB is fine, as long as its V30.

So i was just wondering what the cause of this is, my guess is overheating, but I dont know the camera is only set on 1080P 60 fps.

I need to get 3-4 hours of good video time before doing a battery and memory card swap before another 3-4 hours of recording to record what I want to record with my gopro...  Any ideas?

Well unfortunately i cannot upload videos here so I guess i cannot prove anything...  Smiley Frustrated

Accepted Solutions
Hiker

Re: GoPro 6 Black Stops Recording Video after 147 minutes

For all those interested to see if i got my problem fixed with this yes.  I finally got some time to chat with the GoPro Technical Support team and they determined my camera to be defective. Thankfully my camera was under warranty, so Im sending them the old one back and there sending me out a new camera!! 

I will definately say the experience I had with GoPro Tech Support was a very easy and uncomplicted process and Id recommend anyone with issues to contact them, there absolutely wonderful people!  i was in chat with them a total of 10-15 minutes max and they did a quick troubleshooting with me and found my camera to be defective and set me up with a warranty return slip and its going back tomorrow!!  

It was QUICK, EASY, and PAINLESS, process!!  Even though Ive read some bad stories on support for GoPro, well i certainly would have to question who they chatted with because the one i was connected with was super supportive and very very very easy to work with!!  

Thank you GoPro Tech Support for such a wonderful experience if your reading this!!Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

This may be related to the extended battery you are using.  Have you tried powering it via the USB C port with a Cable and external power source to see if the problem is replicated?  This way you can narrow the issue to the long recording time or the battery pack itself.

Hiker

The Power Pak I am using is this one off Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XJ7RGWC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But power is power and dont understand what your trying to tell me as the camera goes on to record hours on a black flickering screen after it starts after 2 3/4 hours give or take in...

Nomad

Not all power is created equally, nor is the output rate the same amonst different sources.  There's an issue with you recording after 147 minutes, the only reason I ask you to test this using a USB-C cable and a direct power source is to eliminate the possiblity of it being related to your battery pack.  I've used several different battery packs over the years and have had issues with some of them that affect recording.  I simply wish to eliminate this as a possibility here.

It could also be an overheating issue.  I set up my GP6 to record non stop yesterday after reading this issue you were having.  I set it up to record in 1080P @ 60FPS.  After 49 minutes the back screen was flickering like crazy and displaying random colors.  The camera was also very hot to the touch.  So I immediately powered off.  However the camera was recording in a static environment with WiFi, GPS and Voice Commands enabled.  I'm guessing this contributed to the heating issue.

What settings are you using when you are recording?

Hiker

Hi there Thanks for your reply, so i see I kinda share in my experience then with these cameras, although (I THOUGHT) a GoPro was deisnged for constant recording for several hours (at least thats what i thought when I first purchased it, if I had only known what I do now about them, ehh I probably would have had second thoughts).  No I turned my Wifi, GPS, and Voice Commands off just to see how much I could get outta it. 

Its kinda too bad too with the amount of technology out there they should have a camera out there deisnged to do all day recordings and things!  Sad it is actually.  And look GoPro was the founders of making Action Cameras, you would have thought that they would have given this consideration!  

See why I wanted constant recording is so i can pick out areas I want to keep and I planned on taking my camera Whitewater Rafting and there times sometimes when you want that camera on and recording incase something funny happens or something, but I can see it now, something funny will happen and guess what the camera will be off because god forbid i cannot keep the camera rolling all day long!  AS there things that can happen Whitewater Rafting that are unplanned.  And its just goes into the one of many missed recording that you cannot show off, because you cannot have a camera that just continues to record...

Now i understand a single battery pack wont last that long, thats what they make extended battery packs for, but it would really help with these cameras if they had a miniture fan built in them to keep them cool and rolling no matter how much you recorded with them!! 

The case I have is designed so you can add USB-C power to the camera while still being waterproof using that battery pack I showed you above with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0774QGG1G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Waterproof case to keep things dry.

Both of these together supposed to make watertight connections for long peroid recordings in wet enviroments, including scuba diving and things. 

Anyways so I guess all i can say is these cameras at least in my belief dont live up to the expectations that I first had when purchasing the camera...  Unfortunately however its past the time I can return the item so I guess Im stuck with it...Smiley Sad 

Nomad

GoPro's are designed to be awesome action camera's and in that regards they work very well.  However for extended recordings they need optimal conditions and proper set up.  It's possibly they can overheat if set up incorrectly for extended shots and luckily, they have built in safe guards that can prevent damage as a result (shutting down if they overheat).  However there's also external factors to consider such as non supported memory cards and 3rd party battery packs which can lead to issues.  Yuo stated you are using an approved memory card we can probably discount that as an issue.

I've done 8 hour video shoots on my GP Hero 2, GP4 blacks and 12 hour timelapse shots with my GP4 blacks without issue.  I mainly shoot on the GP6 until the battery runs out (about 1 hour 30 minutes)

After reading about the issues you were having I decided to try an extended video shoot with my GP6 black.  I found that shooting 1080P @ 60FPS, with WiFi, GPS and Voice control activated in a static environment led to overheating.  The camera was plugged into a charger via the USB - C cable at the time.  This affected the live display on the back of the camera but did not affect the recording.

I then switched the camera mode to 1080P @ 24FPS with WiFi on, GPS and Voice control off in the same environment and plugged into a charger via the USB - C cable.  The camera then recorded for 4hrs 27minutes with no heating issues whatsoever.  I turned it off at this point as I saw no need to film additional footage.

I would suggest that if you want to film for extended periods of time you disable the features that you are not using (WiFi, GPS, Voice Control).  Also realize that if you have the camera inside a waterproof case, this is going to restrict air movement inside the case and this will contribute to overheating.  You may want to try a variety of shooting speeds (FPS, 1080P vs 2.7K, Protune off) to find out which will work best for you.  From a shooting perspective, editing 4+ hours of footage can be a pain.  Have you thought of getting a smart remote and using one of those for your shots?  I have one that I control all my camera's with and I find it to be a great help.  Not only can you start and stop recording with a simple button press, but you can also highlight/tag video's which recording.  That may be a lot of help to you if you intend to do extended recording.

Hiker

For all those interested to see if i got my problem fixed with this yes.  I finally got some time to chat with the GoPro Technical Support team and they determined my camera to be defective. Thankfully my camera was under warranty, so Im sending them the old one back and there sending me out a new camera!! 

I will definately say the experience I had with GoPro Tech Support was a very easy and uncomplicted process and Id recommend anyone with issues to contact them, there absolutely wonderful people!  i was in chat with them a total of 10-15 minutes max and they did a quick troubleshooting with me and found my camera to be defective and set me up with a warranty return slip and its going back tomorrow!!  

It was QUICK, EASY, and PAINLESS, process!!  Even though Ive read some bad stories on support for GoPro, well i certainly would have to question who they chatted with because the one i was connected with was super supportive and very very very easy to work with!!  

Thank you GoPro Tech Support for such a wonderful experience if your reading this!!Smiley Happy