Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

GoPro 5 Black unable to view recorded video or photos

After an initial success I can no longer get my GoPro 5 Black to properly record video or stills. The screen (on camera) shows a black box where video should be with "Unable to view" . I have tried to format the SD card in the camera and also to manually delete the earlier files (which are viewable, and no, it's not full) as well as to pair the SD card by removing both it and the battery but to no avail.

I am using a Samsung 128 Evo card. The camera is around 4 weeks old!

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: GoPro 5 Black unable to view recorded video or photos

[ Edited ]

Similar issue here!

I just turned on my gopro and all of my videos and photos are gone. It shows 00 on the front screen.

Then I stuck my sd card through a SD card reader and it shows 45% full on the card. So basically my data is still on it but neither gopro hero 5 or now my computer cannot see it. When click on DCIM or MISC, folders look blank.

I believe it's because of GoPro's recent update. It seems like gopro is putting all of these files under a hidden file that is not visible by machine itself or the computer.

I am scared to start shooting videos or photos now, that it may write on top of what i already have. Gopro support needs to address this ASAP.

folder1.jpg
Highlighted
Tourist

I am away from home right now so don't have easy access to a computer. I bit the bullet and bought a new smaller SD card and so far that seems to work. BTW I have not formatted the card using the GoPro itself, using it as it came.
I am no closer to solving the original problem though...
Highlighted
Tourist

Figured it out.

Need to do "recovery". I downloaded a free recovery tool, and I can see the files! gopro has created some weird files/filenames, and corrupted it looks like. It has changed all file names as well.

now need to buy a full recovery software for about 70 USD, to recover my files!! **shaking my head**

I'm attaching the screenshot you can see there

folder1.jpg