Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro 4 cannot preview camera in app

[ New ]
From one day to the next lost ability to preview camera in the app. WiFi is connected and even Bluetooth re-paired to my iPhone. I removed the camera from my phone a started over, re-paired, joined camera WiFi but still nothing. I’m at a loss of what to try next.
Hero 4 camera; iPhone 12
GoPro

Re: GoPro 4 cannot preview camera in app

[ New ]

Hi @grandwave744

What error message are you getting?

Would you be able to share a screenshot?

What version is your app on?

To help isolate the issue, would you be able to test the connection with another phone?

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
No error message. Simply cannot preview camera in the app any more. I keep getting the app’s instruction to connect to WiFi but my phone shows that I’m connected to the camera via WiFi.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @grandwave744

Please try resetting the connections.
iOS: Open the GoPro App.
Tap the pencil icon in the top-left corner of the Camera menu page. 
Tap the red X icon to delete the camera entry from your app’s history. 
Delete the GoPro camera under the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi entries in your mobile device’s settings before attempting to re-pair to your GoPro.

Let us know how it goes.

If it's still the same, please reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Per EJ recommendations I whipped the camera from the App and my phone. Started over. Added camera in app, Re-Paired ok and showed connected to camera WiFi on my phone but the app instructions for connections to WiFi keep coming up as thought it is not connected.
Sightseer

[ New ]
I’m having the same problem to have a preview in my phone, before I have a Huawei P30 and didn’t have this issue, and now that I have an iPhone 11, it gets connected to the app but when I tap to have a preview have the same WiFi issue like it is not connected but when I see in the wifi adjustment it is connected. Some help please. Thanks
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @josandres03. Try manually connecting to the camera's Wi-Fi network from your phone’s Wi-Fi settings. You can find the password by putting the camera in pairing mode, then hitting the Info button on the camera. If applicable, change the Wi-Fi Band on your camera to 2.4GHz.

Sightseer

[ New ]
Hi, I just tried to connect the WiFi manually, but it don’t work either, because when I already connected it also connected in the app but when tap to see the preview of the cam it says like the cam WiFi is off even though it says in the app it’s connected and I restarted the WiFi from the cam and also from the phone but it keeps having issue to do the preview, it doesn’t even let me see the pictures I have in the SD card.
F6F92EA2-E2DB-4AAE-B753-380BF4B4E7BC.png
GoPro

[ New ]

This is odd, @josandres03. We'd like to gather more specific information regarding your setup. To proceed, please submit a contact request through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Same issues with my iPhone7 + connected and everything but still stuck on "STARTING PREVIEW". Can you GoPro guys fix this issues already? This has been going on since 2 years ago when I tried connecting it on my phone. Have the latest version on my GoPro 4 Silver which ended on Oct. 21, 2016 v05.00.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @bypassgraft

What version is the app on?

Do you observe the same when connecting the camera with a different phone?

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]
In my case yes, my gf has a Huawei P20 and she doesn’t have that issue, she can connect to the camera and have the preview in the app, so the only way I can see the preview is when I’m traveling with her
Tourist

[ New ]

Hello @aragon1006, I have the 8.5(5140). I believed this is the latest? Also, I just tested this on a friend Samsung Android phone and I get the preview to work. I had couple of connecting issues at first when adding the GoPro on his phone but I get it to work. So I'm guessing it's a problem with IOS phones? My iPhone7+ is up to date.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @bypassgraft @josandres03

We'll have this checked with the team. What iOS version are your phones on?

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi,

Thanks for your reports. Our testing team has tried to replicate the same issue on various iPhones / OS but it was working fine for them. Tested on iPhone 8 / iPhone 7+ / iOS 13 / iOS 14. Without experiencing this issue ourselves it's pretty hard to understand what could be going wrong on your end sadly.

We've just published update 8.6 maybe you can give this one a try, although some of you may have tried already, factory reset and clean install of the app could be something to try.
Sorry for the trouble.