Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro 360 Max and Hero 9 Max Lens Mod water spots

[ New ]
How can I prevent water spots. I use my devices on my jet ski and have found lens protectors to prevent water spots for my hero 7, but not for the 360 Max or the hero 9 Max Lens Mod. Hope someone can help!
Backpacker

Re: GoPro 360 Max and Hero 9 Max Lens Mod water spots

[ New ]

Lick it.  Lick it real good....   (sing that to salt and peppa's "push it").  

Seriously, even the GoPro "family" members who surf a lot and do water sports recommend licking your lens.  The saliva will break up surface tension leading to a lot less water spots.

I've tried different applications (rain-x) and lens covers and honestly, there's no "100%" way to prevent water spots, most just plain don't work.  Guess what though, you'll always have your tongue with you whereever you go (and let's face it, it's just wierd to ask for someone else to lend theirs).

Tourist

[ New ]
Hahhaa lick it real good. I literally had the tune to push it in my head.

Ive read over and over to lick it, but being on the jetski is killing me. Id like to have to do it every few minutes for several hours. Its not realistic. I read many surfers use the screen protector thing from xclear, but wasnt sure if that is true. And like you, ive tried rain x and many other applications. Its good for about 10 minutes and then a bust.
Backpacker

[ New ]

Yeah, so one of the first video's I made was an X-Clear vs Rain-X test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dIPrOqOsU8

It was taken in the wee hours of the morning and it was a fairly heavy rain.  The result?  Neither work well at all.  What I didn't mention in the review was my expericne with X-Clear.

Ordered 2 sets of X-Clear protectors for my Hero 8 (both orders were placed within days of eachother)

The arrived (late, but that's understandable, it was a brand new camera and they probably had to wait for protectors to be manufactured).

Opened set 1, they were the wrong size.

A few days later, set 2 arrives.

Opened set 2, not only were they the wrong size, but they were used.  Yes, brand new packet wrapped in film, however opened them up, the lens protecters were scratched, dirty and didn't even have protective film on them.  Not even sure how the hell that happens.

Wrote back to X-Clear and they admitted there was a manufacturing issue and the wrong size were made.  They said they would mail me out new protectors (They didn't even mention anything about the dirty used ones I had gotten).

Waiting a number of weeks without any update, finally was about to create a case with the Ombudsman when I got an email saying my protectors had shipped.  The email stated this was a replacement for my incorrectly sized order.  Nothing about order 2 is mentioned.

A few weeks later (not exactly rush shipping) a package arrives and in the package there are 3 sets of lens protectors.  They are all the right size and thankfully brand new.

So the attached video is the test that I did and as you can see.................  they just don't work that great at all.  I know such things don't work in light spray (droplets are too small for broken surface tension to allow them to join together and flow off the camera), however even in heavy rain, there's just too much spray instead of droplets for either the XCLEAR or Rain-x to be effective.

So honestly, the only reason I can think of to use any type of lens protector, is if you don't want to put your camera in a protective case and want to at least prevent chips or damage to the lens from flying insects, stones, debris etc.

BTW, they say the protectors are removeable easily by just grasping a corner and lifting...........   not exactly true either.  When you finally do manage to get something under there to lift (and your nail won't do the job) they break and shatter and have to be peeled off slowly.  When they shatter they do not segment, they do stay together, but it's a far cry from the smooth removal process that's advertized.

So honestly, save your money, Rain-X is about as good as XCLEAR in my opinion.  

In this short video I decide to test the XCLEAR hydrophobic lens protectors on a GoPro Hero 8 Black against a Rain-X treated GoPro Hero 4 Black. Both camera...
Tourist

[ New ]
Great feedback. Thanks! Thats crazy about your experience before you even got to use them. Ive been debating buying the cases for the devices to see if that worked better, but not sure if they make any for the MAX and for the 9 with the lens mod. Cant seem to find them.
Backpacker

[ New ]

There are 3rd party cases for the Max out there, but they won't help with water spots, they'll only give a bit more protection to your max if you're not using the lens covers.  There's no case for the 9 using the Max Lens Mod that I know of.  So start licking (and don't wear lip balm..  you don't want a greasy lens).

Good luck!