Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Go pro hero7 black stops recording

Yesterday my Go pro hero7 black stopped recording video after only 5 minutes for no reason I can see. I was recording my wedding ceremony so I wasn't very happy.  Battery was fine 1st card was empty. I have recorded many long videos previously with no issues.  Voice control was on. Recording mode was 2.7k non wide fov. 

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Go pro hero7 black stops recording

[ Edited ]

Hi @toughsand41701,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. I find it regretful knowing that you missed to capture such precious life event. This isn't the kind of experience we want you to have.

If this is just the first time that you encounter such problem with the camera, there could be some sort of settings that triggered the camera to stop recording at some point.

By any chance, was the camera on Video Mode? Or Looping Mode?

To further understand what might have caused this, please check the files saved in the SD card via your computer. You can use an SD card reader or adapter to connect your microSD card to your computer. Once connected, browse into the the SD card drive > DCIM folder and locate the MP4 or video files. Do you only see 1 video recorded in 5 minutes length? Or are there multiple 5 minute videos in the folder?

If you can only see 1 video file in 5 minutes length, most likely the camera stopped recording for some reason. Recording issue can be correlated to either a problem with the SD card being used, or the camera itself. Try using a different SD card (if available). If it records fine, then the issue is likely stemming from the SD card. You can get the full list of microSD cards that are known to work well with GoPro cameras here.

It is also advisable to format the SD card before use. (NOTE: Reformatting the SD card will delete all data off of the card, so be sure that you save any videos or pictures you want to keep on your computer before reformatting the SD card.) 

To prevent such issue from happening again, reinstalling the firmware update of the camera can also help correct any errors with the current software installation. Follow the manual update instructions specified on this article: Software Update Instructions for HERO7 Cameras

Kind Regards,
Ann

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Go pro hero7 black stops recording

[ Edited ]

Hi @toughsand41701,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. I find it regretful knowing that you missed to capture such precious life event. This isn't the kind of experience we want you to have.

If this is just the first time that you encounter such problem with the camera, there could be some sort of settings that triggered the camera to stop recording at some point.

By any chance, was the camera on Video Mode? Or Looping Mode?

To further understand what might have caused this, please check the files saved in the SD card via your computer. You can use an SD card reader or adapter to connect your microSD card to your computer. Once connected, browse into the the SD card drive > DCIM folder and locate the MP4 or video files. Do you only see 1 video recorded in 5 minutes length? Or are there multiple 5 minute videos in the folder?

If you can only see 1 video file in 5 minutes length, most likely the camera stopped recording for some reason. Recording issue can be correlated to either a problem with the SD card being used, or the camera itself. Try using a different SD card (if available). If it records fine, then the issue is likely stemming from the SD card. You can get the full list of microSD cards that are known to work well with GoPro cameras here.

It is also advisable to format the SD card before use. (NOTE: Reformatting the SD card will delete all data off of the card, so be sure that you save any videos or pictures you want to keep on your computer before reformatting the SD card.) 

To prevent such issue from happening again, reinstalling the firmware update of the camera can also help correct any errors with the current software installation. Follow the manual update instructions specified on this article: Software Update Instructions for HERO7 Cameras

Kind Regards,
Ann