Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Go pro hero 4 black no longer working with via app

[ New ]

I have a gopro hero4 black which I love.  Recently I am having an issue with the app where when I go to see the preview of the media it does not show anything and asks me to reconnet to wifi.  When I check I can see the phone iphone8 is connected properly to the camera wifi but the app can not communicate to the camera.  I tired setting up the camera in the app again and the cycle just repeats the phone can get on the hero's wifi net but for some reason the app can't communicate with the camera to see a preview or anything on the media in the camera.

The camera does work fine outside of the app but it would be great to get the app working again.

I have tired a bunch of reset

Please let me know what I should do to move forward and get this working 

GoPro

Re: Go pro hero 4 black no longer working with via app

[ New ]

Hi @epicpike3063

What iOS version is your phone on?

Do you have the latest version of the GoPro App?

To help isolate the issue, would you be able to test this with another phone?

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

I have both and iphone8 and an iphone 11.  The issue is occuring with both phones.  Obviously I would prefer it work on both but the 11 is the easier on to use as it is faster and has less junk loaded, on it.

-A-

GoPro

[ New ]

@epicpike3063, please try the following suggested steps accordingly:

1. Allow GoPro through the Local Network settings. On iPhone go to Settings > GoPro > enable Local Network (If enabled, disable and re-enable) go back to GoPro App, and try connecting again.
  2. Reboot your iPhone. Especially if you’ve just updated to the new iOS 14, it’s always a good idea to reboot your phone and try again.
  3. Disable Mac address. This is especially true if you see “No internet connection” when trying to connect to your GoPro Camera. Open Settings app > then go to “Wi-Fi” > find your GoPro camera’s network > tap the "i" button next to the network > toggle the switch for “Private Address” to the Off position.
  4. You can always Forget the Wi-Fi and try re-joining > to do this, you may need to go into the back of your GoPro LCD and under “Camera Info” get your GoPro’s Wi-Fi password and manually enter it.
Sightseer

[ New ]

Let me add to this. I am having the same issue. I have an iPhone 11 Pro running version 7.3.1 (4994) on IOS 14.3. I can confirm this was working around December 2020 but buggy. I think I was able to start preview maybe 1/4 times without having to restart the camera over and over.  Since then, I tried this around the beginning of January 2021 and it's no longer functioning. 

I've spent hours on the phone with the outsourced support of GoPro and nothing worked. I have tried two different iPhone 11 Pros and both failed.  

What is going on is the HERO 4 will pair with my iPhone and when I am in the app it says [GO PRO NAME] connected.  When I click "Control Your GoPro" it times out. I've tried reinstalling the GoPro app, I've tried reinstalling the old outdated software on the HERO 4 and nothing works. This is now a $450 paperweight and no one from GoPro seems to give a crap. This is definately the last time I ever buy anything from GoPro with this level of support I've NOT gotten. 

Can't wait for you all to go out of business. I will have to buy some Chinese knock off that will probably work.