Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Re: Go pro hero 3+ won't update!!!

Took me forever to figure it out but I persisted. With my GoPro 3 I had to put each item in the update folder directly onto the drive itself, meaning that keeping all the items in the folder was causing the GoPro to not update. After I moved each individual file onto it, it worked.

GoPro

Hello @loyalstorm12505 and @royalcreek48786

We have already informed the team in charge regarding the specific step in the manual update process for HERO3 cameras. Thank you for posting back to share what worked for you. Stay stoked!

Best regards, 
Marius

Sightseer

Thank you so much! the "UPDATE" folder was what worked. until this post, I was just dragging the files onto my card and nothing would happen when I plugged it into the GoPro.
Sightseer

I had the same issues of the camera not recognizing the update once I down loaded it to the memory card. I finally figured it out!!!

The instructions from GOPRO  really dont make it super clear but this is what I did.

Do all of the instructions like GOPRO says  up till you get to the EXTRACT part. On your computer create a file called UPDATE and put the extracted files in that file called UPDATE . then down load the file UPDATE  , that you created, to you sd card. the GOPRO HERO 3+ and the GOPRO HERO 4 will not except the down load unless it sees a file called UPDATE. Hopefully this will help some of you . It took me 2 days to figure this out.

good luck

Explorer

Thanks for the information. It's not really necessary to create a folder named UPDATE. I think there is confusion because when Windows extracts the UPDATE folder from the UPDATE.zip file it shows the contents, and not the folder.
Sightseer

You are probably correct.But if it was written clear enough there would not be 9 pages of people not understanding why their gopro wont update. I know for a fact that my way does work.

Sightseer

Man, I hope this helps you. I had the same problem and was getting extremely frustrated. What i did is Reformated the dicks on my computer. Then I added all the files from the update folder "out of the folder separate” than I added the update folder with all the files in it. Then I added the update.zip folder. So, that makes two folder and about four files all separate. And it started to update.

Sightseer

Re: Go pro hero 3+ won't update!!! Solved

[ Edited ]

Look under the DEVICES section on the left of the Finder window. You will see your microSD card listed as 'NO NAME'. Drag the files inside the UPDATE folder to your microSD card labeled 'NO NAME'.

Do not copy or drag the UPDATE folder but only copy the contents inside.