Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Re: Go pro hero 3+ won't update!!!

I wonder if you ever fixed this issue? I have a Hero 3 Black that is doing exactly the same thing. E.g. update failed. I then carried out the same instructions you where given, formatted the card, downloaded the zip, unpacked the zip, put the update folder on the card, installed the card turned on the camera. All that happens is the start up bleeps and flashes  with the start up screen then the screen goes blank and the cycle starts again. This continues for ever and the camera won’t turn off, I have to pull the battery. I have tried 3 different cards. I have been told that the best thing is to replace the motherboard. Support in the U.K. is non existent. 

Sightseer

[ Edited ]

-deleted...-

Sightseer

Finally, got my my camera to update.  Several messages had said to unzip files in UPDATE.zip folder & then to place the new UPDATE folder with the 4 files onto my camera's micro SD card.  The camera would not update - I finally deleted folder & started over. 

Update worked after moving the 4 unzipped files to the camera's empty space on the micro SD card.  DO NOT MOVE THE UPDATE FOLDER.

Sightseer

i had to to format card,

then copy individual files straight to sd card without the UPDATE folder

finally worked on my gopro3 black

Sightseer

[ Edited ]

After 5 hours of trying everything this is what actually works:

"Hey Hallo,

Today I have updated my Hero 3 Silver. But I there was a Problem with the naming of the Data. When I have unzipped the Update-Zip there was a file called "HD3.09-firmware.bin". I think it´s wrong. I don´t know if it was good what i have done, but I renamed the file to this "HD3.01-firmware.bin", like this tutorial:

https://gopro.com/help/articles/How_To/Software-Update-Instructions-for-HERO3-Cameras

And then it was working right.

Merry Christmas,

DonnerGunther"

Sightseer

I'm on version 3.03, trying to update to 3.11. When I try to copy to the camera, I get a pop-up saying 'can not copy UPDATE'.

I've tried to update through the GoPro Studio, it doesn't even see my camera let alone know there's an update to be had.

I've tried to update through my Samsung smart phone but I can't get any firmware updated, nor can I set to download when one' available.

Seems my issues started since Quik was brought out...pain in the ass....

I can't believe how hard it is to update through GoPro....

Sightseer

The Gopro website instructions are WRONG!!!!!

after you go through the process and download the update just extract the zip file to an unzipped UPDATE folder.

Drag this folder onto the empty and formated micro sd card.

There should just be that folder not the files the camera is looking for the FOLDER called update.

Sightseer

Thanks!! How ridiculous that the instructions are wrong. Got it to work thanks to these forum people! Thanks.