Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: Go pro hero 3+ won't update!!!

Was going through the same problem earlier today and was going to just go on about my day but I thought I'd help you guys out as I finally solved the problem! I tried new memory cards, formatting, etc. The issue was solved by doing something so simple. See below for the Steps!

Step 1: After following GoPro's instructions on downloading the Zip file with the 4 things you need if updating both firmware + wifi (if only firmware I believe you should have 3 items in the zip folder. (NOTE: Don't double click any of these items after unzipping the folder)

Step 2: Format your memory card through the GoPro itself (this is pretty much self-explanatory)

Step 3: Put in your memory card via SD Card Adaptor into your computer

Step 4: Create a new folder in your SD Card titled "UPDATE" in all CAPS

Step 5: Drag and drop the 4 items into the new folder you created called "UPDATE" 

Step 6: Eject memory card then insert into GoPro (Go Pro should be powered off at this step)

Step 7: Power on the GoPro then it should start updating itself automatically

Step 8: Once it says update complete go ahead and turn on the Wifi mode (via the side button until it blinks blue) and then connect it to your phone via Wifi

Step 9: You should be good to go! I hope this helps you guys! So simple and now I feel dumb after more than an hour spent on this. -____-;

Highlighted
Sightseer

Check out the last page of this forum/support I posted how I did it and I have the same GoPro as you
Highlighted
Tourist

Thank you so much!!! I've been trying to figure out why none of gopro support solutions have helped. (not to mention they are notoriously difficult to get a hold of...) You have ended months of stress for me!!!!

Highlighted
Sightseer

This one worked for me. The folder 'UPDATE' should be on the SD card with the 4 files in it.
Highlighted
Sightseer

I am not having the same issue with the screen, but I can't get my hero 3+ silver to update.  I have tried everything so far suggested, but nothing happens when i put in the micro sd

Highlighted
Sightseer

So i finally got a hold of customer support.  Here's what you do.      After formatting your sd card, create a folder in it called UPDATE  .  it has to be in all caps.  Then when you extract the update file (from zip folder),  extract it to your newly created UPDATE folder on your sd card.  After that, just pop it into your gopro and turn it on.  it should be updating now

Highlighted
Sightseer

This is really piss poor support by gopro.

their step by step instruction had incorrect screenshot as well as written instructions to copy the files WITHIN the Update folder.  The correct procedure is to copy the entire Update folder to the SD card.  The latter action will trigger the update.

That being said, I'm trying to udpate 3.03 to 3.11 and the POS goes through the update process.. and even indicates update completed. However, I'm still on v.3.03.

Utter POS

My next cam will be a Chinese cam from amazon.

Highlighted
Tourist

@fastcave4185 wrote:

I was very frustrated as well! I finally got it! I have a 3+ Black Edition and it turns out that they are all different. This website has the correct files!

https://om.id.au/software-update-reset-gopro-hero-3-and-4/

Have a blessed day!

Thank You!!!!! that file worked for my 3+ Black. I've been jacking with it for 2 days. Bought a used one and the owner wouldnt give me the wifi password.