Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Explorer

Re: Go pro hero 3+ won't update!!! Solved

If it's a Hero3+ you need to paste the UPDATE folder with the files inside. You do copy or drag the UPDATE folder onto the root of the card (easiest way is to just format the card first). On a Hero3 (not Plus) you copy the files within the Update folder.
Sightseer

Re: Go pro hero 3+ won't update!!!

Compared to the instructions here: https://gopro.com/support/hero3-plus-product-update/move-files you don't need to put the individual files on the SD card, but the folder called UPDATE.

I made a format of my SD card and placed the UPDATE folder (not the zip file) on the root of the SD card, and then the update process started on the camera.

GoPro

Hi @robcult

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Please be advised that the issue has been raised to the team in charge.

We are waiting for their updates.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

I was extracting the files from the folder and moving them to the SD card and the updates failed. Moving the Update Folder itself solved the problem. The GoPro website instructions are a bit unclear on this. Thanks for clearing that up! Everything is A Okay now!

Sightseer

Thanks for posting this! I believe the issue is that the updated downloaded from the official process is not including the additonal files needed to do the update. When you walk through the steps identifying your camera and settings you want - those settings files are not in the actual download zip. I did this process multiple times and only two files were included in the UPDATE folder each time. Your files allowed what was essentaily a factory reset where I could gain access to the camera via wifi again and then update again to the latest version. GoPro HERO3+ silver.

Sightseer

I just went through about two hours of heck getting my Hero3+ Black to update.  I started redownloading and extracting the update file and noticed there were a different number of files.  I kept trying until one of the downloads finally did the upgrade.  I guess it finally extracted the correct number of files needed.  The card speed didn't matter on mine.  It's a class 4.

Sightseer

I FINALLY DID IT! 

Make sure you drag and drop each file to the sd card. Dont just use the update file.

Extract the files drag and drop!

Be safe.

Explorer

@diverdown62
If you updated by dragging the files and NOT the UPDATE folder, you have a HERO3 and NOT a HERO3+.

HERO3 = drag files inside UPDATE folder to SD card

HERO3+ = drag the UPDATE folder to SD card